2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Where does this leave Heimgartner?

I guess one of the side issues that comes out of the transformation of Kelly Racing to next years Grove Racing, is what effect that will have on Heimgartner. Andre is out of contract at the end of the year.... he has always professed of his loyalty to the Kelly Bros for basically giving him the lifeline that kept his V8SC aspirations alive. He replaced Todd Kelly in the team, in a late call up when he was unable to even get an ongoing co driver role. Without the Kelly lifeline he would he believes have been back in NZ looking for a 9-5 career.

However, with the possible opportunities elsewhere (I am obviously thinking T888) will his loyalties to the team have altered given the ownership changes. Will his loyalty stretch to the Grove set up?

Having thrown that option in, he has been quick to say his belief in the Grove family is there and he believes the team will prosper as a result. But how much of that is "saying the right thing" and not ruffling feathers (ie not shitting on his own doorstep). Im sure he has been in touch with Roland to check out the land and get an update on what T888's current stance is on the JW replacement beyond what has been in the press.

He fits the profile of what T888 are looking for. Proven race-winning ability, young (he is 26), V8SC experienced etc, plus of course available in terms of being out of contract at the year end. A T888 opportunity would be hard to knock back... Obviously Feeney is a favourite for the gig and potentially the next SVG/ JW, and the Earl Bamber name has been thrown in a lot of late. My thoughts of Bamber is he seems very happy with his Porsche alignment in Europe, and of course has a German wife who might not like the idea of moving to Australia. With all respect a factory gig with Porsche is (to me) a lot further up the ladder than a top ride in what is a regional Tin Top series. Of course he knows better than I or others know about what his future with Porsche might have in the wings. Happy wife = happy life they say, and throw in a monthly cheque from a factory set up like Porsche.....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Bathurst 1000 postponement looming along with major calendar reshuffle

As mentioned last week it is expected the big one will be postponed as Covid and associated restrictions continue to cause havoc in NSW. To make a postponement even more likely today Sydney extended their lockdown by at least a month. This includes of course that those who travel to the hot spot area have to quarantine on return to their home state. The back end of this year’s Supercars Championship also looks set to undergo a significant reshuffle.

An extended layoff is looming for the championship due in part to the Summer Olympics and the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak in New South Wales. I wont say much more now as it is likely Bathurst will be confirmed as delayed later on today. What I will say is it seems nothing is safe, not even the next round scheduled for QIR, itself a last minute call up due to Sydney / NSW problems.

Perth is also at risk as is NZ. What has been said is that 12 rounds is the minimum number to meet TV and other Sponsor contractual requirements. We have had 7 to date including the douvle header at Townsville. The understanding is we will have a number of double headers with Perth and NZ set to be axed completely. Winton and Phillip Island may be back in favour. Contractually NSW have to hold 3 rounds will be the big challenge. We have had one, the Bathurst Sprint earlier in the year.

Watch this thread for further details.... Bathurst news maybe today and a new look calendar late this week.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bathurst officially postponed as new calendar emerges

Well, I said it was inevitable, but with the Covid situation as it is in NSW Plans to race at the late stand in Queensland Raceway on August 21-22 have been scrapped, although the circuit is still in Supercars’ back pocket as a contingency venue.

No official dates as yet but there will be nothing from now until Winton in early October before heading to the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit later that month for a new event, most likely on the weekend initially planned for the now cancelled Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.

Supercars will then head to Mount Panorama for the Bathurst 1000, with options being investigated to have direct flights into the area to avoid travel through COVID-hit Sydney. Again no exact date but it seems like early November

Plans would see the penultimate round take place at Sydney Motorsport Park before the season comes to a close on the streets of the Gold Coast at the Surfers Paradise Street Circuit on December 3-5. That will then make up the minimum 12 events they need to meet sponsorship and Broadcast contract minimums.

As suggested yesterday the Auckland SuperSprint has been cancelled owing to the trans-Tasman bubble closure which is currently slated to end on September 18, but far from sure as Sydney has now been fully locked down until September. Due to the WA border closures risk the Perth SuperNight has been cancelled. Plans are already in the pipeline for that event to feature in the first half of the 2022 season.

I will post the actual dates when they are officially confirmed.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bathurst moves to November 4th-7th *Confirmed*

The most notable change was the delaying of the Repco Bathurst 1000 to new dates of November 4-7, pushed back from its original October 7-10 slot.

One bonus that comes with the date change is that we can now expect to see Scotty Mac back in a V8 Supercar for the event. The earlier date would not have given Scott time to quarantine after the final Indycar race..... with this new date there re no roblems in that area. Not sure whether he will team up with Davison or de pasquale at this stage. (Alex Davison was signed as a stand in for Scott if necessary, and likely would have driven with Will.

Scott has already been on Social Media on news of the date change confirmation.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Revised Calendar sort of confirmed

Re the standard calendar the revisions are also now in place, with confirmation of an extended break from now through to Winton on October 2-3.. Still to be formally confirmed are PI and SMP as follows.

It means it’ll be 11 weeks between the most recent round of the championship at Townsville in July and the next.

The following round is slated to take place on October 23-24, with talks understood to be centred on a return to the Phillip Island[/b] Grand Prix Circuit for the first time since 2019. Officially, the venue is listed as TBA (to be announced) at this stage.

Then, as mentioned above the Repco Bathurst 1000 will be held four weeks later than initially planned across November 4-7.

Pending the COVID-19 situation in New South Wales, Sydney Motorsport Park will play host to Supercars on November 19-21.

Finally, the championship will come to a close at the Surfers Paradise Street Circuit on an unchanged December 3-5 date.

probably easier to follow in list form:
Currently we are in the official season break.

Revised 2021 Repco Supercars Championship calendar

Event Date
Repco Mt Panorama 500* February 26-28
Penrite Oil Sandown SuperSprint March 20-21
Beaurepaires Tasmania SuperSprint April 17-18
OTR SuperSprint May 8-9
Merlin Darwin Triple Crown June 18-20
NTI Townsville 500* July 9-11
WD-40 Townsville SuperSprint* July 17-18

Season break. Season resumes as follows.

Winton SuperSprint* October 2-3
TBA October 23-24 (Phillip Island is the word)
Repco Bathurst 1000* November 4-7
Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight November 19-21 ++Subject to Covid restrictions in NSW being lifted++
Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500* December 3-5

* (*)Denotes Dunlop Super2 Series round

If the Sydney Supernight event has to be called off because of Covid I would imagine another race will be organised at short notice.... given without it the contractually important (sponsors and Broadcaster) 12 round minimum will not be met. As long as my bum points to the ground I can guarantee they will find a 12th round from somewhere. Anywhere!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Bathurst moves to November 4th-7th *Confirmed*

Scott has already been on Social Media on news of the date change confirmation.
It seems maybe a case of not so fast.....

McLaughlin faces hurdle in bid for Bathurst 1000 return
....However, with news that the Bathurst 1000 has been postponed to the first weekend of November, Scott’s hopes of racing a Ford Mustang have been boosted.

But, on the latest Parked Up podcast episode, the three-time Supercars champion said his post-season IndyCar Series testing programme could yet prove problematic.

“I’ve still got to work out a few things right now,” said McLaughlin.

“For sure, it’s all going ahead… That certainly has helped me and I can make the race now, which is gonna be definitely a good thing,” he said of the Bathurst 1000 postponement.

“Where it has sort of been put now is potentially where we’re going to be (Indycar) testing in the off-season as well.

“So I’ve just got to work out; obviously, to get Down Under you’ve got to do two weeks’ quarantine, so there’s two weeks gone, and that’s a long time, to be honest.

“Then by the time I get my seat fit done, I’d love to be there a couple of weeks before the race, so I’m potentially looking at a month and a half out, or in the country, in Australia, so it is a lot in terms of my off-season, my winter testing schedule for IndyCar.

“Hopefully we can make it work. I’m sure we can. It’s all agreed upon between us, me and Ryan [Story, Dick Johnson Racing CEO] way back when. So we’d love to get it done. Yeah, it’d be good.”

As yet, Dick Johnson Racing has not announced its driver pairings for Anton De Pasquale and Will Davison.

Tony D’Alberto is the team’s other contracted co-driver while Alex Davison, who has in recent weeks driven one of the team’s Supercars, is on standby should McLaughlin be unable to race.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/08/04/mc ... 00-return/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Revised Calendar sort of confirmed

Currently we are in the official season break.

Season break. Season resumes as follows.

Winton SuperSprint* October 2-3
TBA October 23-24 (Phillip Island is the word) ** Now confirmed**
Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight November 19-21 ++Subject to Covid restrictions in NSW being lifted++
Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500* December 3-5

* (*)Denotes Dunlop Super2 Series round

If the Sydney Supernight event has to be called off because of Covid I would imagine another race will be organised at short notice.... given without it the contractually important (sponsors and Broadcaster) 12 round minimum will not be met. As long as my bum points to the ground I can guarantee they will find a 12th round from somewhere. Anywhere!
PHILLIP ISLAND CONFIRMED

As hinted in the possible maybe list, Supercars will return to southern Victoria across October 23-24 for the Bunnings Trade Phillip Island SuperSprint.

The two-day event will be the final hit-out before the Repco Bathurst 1000, which will be held across November 4-7.

Plenty of time for all that to change again though, with lockdowns coming and going with varying degrees of restriction all over the place. Plus of course the ongoing border closures from one State to another which seems to be more ta Political pawn than a move to improve things. (ie "We in State X are banning people from State Y to cross our State border because they banned us last month so its only fair" type of thing)

As an aside the Phillip Island round will also headline the Bass Coast Festival of Motorsport, which will be a three-day celebration of Phillip Island's rich history of racing on both two-wheels and four dating back to 1927. The Australian Superbikes Championship and Porsche Carrera Cup Series will be on the support card, with other support categories to be confirmed in coming weeks.

In the meantime the 2021 season will (if nothing else changes with Covid) resume at Winton across October 2-3. :fingers: :fingers:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Supercars takeover bids down to 2 parties

The word is that the pursuit of acquiring Archer Capital’s majority share in Supercars is now an out-and-out two-horse race between the Australian Racing Group and the Mark Skaife/TLA Worldwide partnership.

IMG was reported to have made the second stage but now appears out of the running, while the France family – who are behind NASCAR – has also dropped out.

The consortium comprising Peter Adderton, Paul Morris, Pete Smith, Mick Doohan and Alan Gow has not lost hope with its bid, which by contrast to rival proposals, would involve also buying out Supercars teams’ collective 35 percent stake.

It seems to me their progress / offer was based on an all up bid of c 60 mill, short of the mark required which is that amount for just the 65% Archer share. So looking at more of a fire sale price than it already is. (Archer paid something just North of $180 mill for that 65% share when they bought in, so to be talking of taking a $120mill hit off the top line they are keen sellers.Not sure of the operating losses they have taken on top of that, especially the cost of all the Covid related expenses)

However, only two contenders, (from the earlier four or five parties) at this point in time, have progressed to the stage of carrying out extensive due diligence. It is understood both their bids are in the $60 mill area.

Usual sort of process in any major sale.... the fire sale hunting tyre kickers and dreamers go home and the keen get keener.

Still talk of a deal being settled prior to Bathurst (now in November).... however given the ongoing (worsening) NSW Covid situation it is very likely the race will be spectator free / limited which will turn the event from being a cash cow into a heavy loss maker and not an ideal start to any ownership.

Full story https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/08/08/su ... s-further/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

Plenty of time for all that to change again though, with lockdowns coming and going with varying degrees of restriction all over the place. Plus of course the ongoing border closures from one State to another ....
Bathurst 4-7 November very unlikely to happen

Well I said some changes might be likely, with the current situation re Covid in NSW.

As a result of the changes a new date was put aside by Supercars as being suitable for Bathurst.... Supercars have gone ahead and confirmed it in terms of issuing their revised calendar..

Now not because of anything to do with Covid, but it seems unlikely that the Bathurst 1000 can happen on that date.
The reason? A contractual problem is the issue.

The Challenge Bathurst weekend event is scheduled for November 11-14, and they hold a 14 day prior exclusion of other events with Bathurst council, and they have steadfastly stated they will stick to their contractual rights. It maintains that it largely needs to be honoured in order to facilitate set-up for its own event and ensure marshalls and officials are available.
To make matters worse the TCR 'International 500' race is locked in at Bathurst the last weekend in November.

That 4-7 Nov. weekend was seen by Supercars as the only date that would offer the best chance of being able to welcome a high number of spectators. It seems Supercars have jumped the gun and assumed everyone would fall over backwards for them.

Bathurst Regional Council has now indeed confirmed it has not given Supercars permission to hold the Bathurst 1000 on its new November 4-7 dates.

The problem is the revised calendar is one that has few weekends free.... V8SC considers the compromise offer of October 28-31 to be infeasible, given that falls on the weekend after Phillip Island..... teams need to prepare for what is the biggest event on the annual motorsport calendar.

The only other ‘free’ weekend at Mount Panorama (November 19-21) is that which falls between Challenge Bathurst and the International, and is now taken up by the Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight anyway, with the Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500 scheduled for December 3-5..... difficult to move the GC500 given the need to build up a street circuit

So it seems like we might sadly see the 1000 running earlier in October which then throws up issues with Border closures, coupled to the likelihood of no spectators at the 'golden egg' financially to Supercars. Or maybe mid December as a season finale!

We have not heard the last of this and the situation seems to be worsening for Supercars. To drop the Island or SMp would mean Supercars dont have enough meetings to meet their Broadcasting contractual obligations which will cost them millions. plus sponsor obligations. Big bucks at stake.

Challenge Bathurst are not budging from their stance.... they have already dismissed the offer of compensation from Supercars.
Challenge Bathurst boss Greg Evans told Speedcafe.com a short time ago, “There is no further discussion to take place.

“There is no and will be no resolution to Supercars Australia running on the dates they are advertising.

“Challenge Bathurst has assurances from the Bathurst Regional Council that they will honour their contractual obligations. End of story.”
Watch this space for further updates.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I can see Phillip Island getting cancelled and a double header at Winton happening.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bamber confirms he is not on T888 radar to replace Whincup at T888

That should put the rumour to bed that he was on the T888 shortlist to replace JW. Triple Eight Race Engineering has openly stated its willingness to consider internationals for the #88 seat and a return to Australasia could make sense for the Kiwi star given he’s recently set up an Earl Bamber Motorsport headquarters on the Gold Coast.

Bamber also has a connection to the Brisbane team, having partnered Shane van Gisbergen during the 2018 Pirtek Enduro Cup.

Triple Eight managing director Roland Dane, however, all but ruled out the prospect of Bamber being van Gisbergen’s full-time team-mate next season. Further clues from Roland Dane suggest Broc Feeney is now a firm favourite to take the role.
“I’d never say never, but Earl is not on our list at the moment,”
“Not because I don’t think he’s a great driver – I think he is – but what’s more important is that whenever we have changed drivers, which isn’t very often, we have tried to take a step change in terms of age.

“Jamie was younger than Craig Lowndes, Shane was younger than Jamie, and at different stages in their careers.

“So, Earl is a very well established, very highly capable driver, and I’d never say he would never drive for us because in the right circumstances he’d be right up there, but that’s not our objective at the moment.

“Our objective is to go for somebody who is a step younger and who is at a different point in their career than Shane is now.

“While Earl isn’t in the same position as Shane in a Supercar point of view, he certainly is in his professional career.”
Bamber did say that he might be interested in Supercars down the track.... As mentioned, with Mostert Waters and Kosteckie all but confirmed that makes Feeney's chances even stronger.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I don't think Earl was ever much of a chance given he's probably got a pretty good shot of driving for Porsche when they join LMH in 2023.

In other news it looks like Bathurst council has brokered a deal between Supercars and Challenge Bathurst to have the 1000 in November as Supercars wanted.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago I don't think Earl was ever much of a chance given he's probably got a pretty good shot of driving for Porsche when they join LMH in 2023.

In other news it looks like Bathurst council has brokered a deal between Supercars and Challenge Bathurst to have the 1000 in November as Supercars wanted.
Re Bamber agreed.... a factory gig at Porsche is a bit further up the ladder than a regional tin top series tbh and there is a lot more going on with them and the future anyway.

Good to see Bathurst looks to be back on the rails, although it remains to see whether they end up with being allowed the spectators this was all in aid of, due to the seemingly increasing Covid issues in NSW, which at this rate will impact the unlimited spectator / camping numbers but may also end up affecting Vic and Qld teams (ie all Supercars teams atm with Team Sydney currently running out of their Qld base. If a visit to Bathurst entails a quarantine on return to their bases / other States.....

I suspect Supercars have got the date through by increasing their compensation offer to Challenge Bathurst and the impact the big race will have on the financial success of Challenge a week or so later. At the end of the day the reasons are not an issue, an agreement has been reached however / whatever, which is good news.

Roll on Winton. This mid season break feels like its longer than the end season break!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Triple Eight to name Whincup replacement this month

We wont have to wait for too long to see who gets the golden gig at T888. They have said it will be known this month.....

Jamie Whincup, who is retiring from the seat this year to take over the team Principal role at T888 from Roland Dane (who will become just an advisor) said the news will break soon.
“We’re not far away,” said Whincup.

“We’ll let everyone know who my replacement is before the end of the month.

“So watch this space.”
Plenty of interest has been given to Broc Feeney, who has been racing out of the Triple Eight stable in the Super2 Series that he currently leads. He has done everything he has been asked to do to show he has what it takes, and hints from RD that the gig will go to an up and comer over an established star reinforce that. Bamber said it wont be him, others in the mix have all been confirmed elsewhere, so it is looking good for Feeney. He is obviously well established within the team as he subbed for SVG in the T888 Mercedes-AMG GT3 earlier this year, partnering Prince Jefri Ibrahim in the Fanatec GT World Challenge Australia.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

T888 issue latest update on Whincup replacement.....

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

As expected Feeney has been confirmed as Whincup's replacement.