2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Jones confirmed for 2022 Supercars seat at BJR

With this confirmation today that Macca Jones is continuing with BJR leaves just one seat left to be confirmed now..... that of the #7 Heimgartner vacated seat at what will be Grove Racing for next year with the total Grove takeover of what was/is Kelly Grove Racing. That seat is pencilled in to be for Kiwi hotshot Matthew Payne but is subject to him being given a Supercars Super licence dispensation, which seems likely to happen (my opinion). Yes he made a mess of the red flagged final race in the washed out result, but he was one of many caught out by the conditions after the final restart. It was his first time ever in the car, let alone being in the car in the soaking wet. His performances up to then were quite impressive other than messing up his first ever Super 2 start. To start your first race in a category on the front row as an 18 year old, having already only hours before set the fastest time in the Bathurst 2nd driver practice when he filled in for Luke Youlden in the #26 Penrite Mustang. The guy has a future. As long as he does not make a mess of his Super 2 appearance at Bathurst I see no issues.

Getting back to Jones, there was no real danger that the seat was going to go elsewhere short of someone turning up with a big budget, but to be fair he has showed a decent improvement this year, particularly in qualifying, with a number of top half qualy results. He just needs to carry that over to race performances. A sad statistic but the only time he has finished higher than he qualified this year is when he has started lower than 24th on the grid!

So yeah, a busy silly season is now all but done.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I ll stick this in the 2021 thread as it is now 2021 news..... not the biggest news but it is the end of an era.

Schenken to retire as Supercars race director

This year’s Bathurst 1000 will be Tim Schenken’s last as race director

Tim Schenken has called time on his tenure as Supercars race director, announcing he will retire following this weekend’s Repco Bathurst 1000.

Schenken has long been part of the fabric at Supercars, taking the top job at the Australian Touring Car Championship in 1987.

Motorsport Australia has confirmed incumbent deputy race director James Taylor will make the step up in 2022 as Schenken’s replacement.

Taylor filled in for Schenken during the coronavirus hit 2020 season.

Schenken’s decision to step down comes after weeks of discussions with Motorsport Australia.

Schenken confirmed he won’t walk away from motorsport entirely.

The 78-year-old will continue to work with Motorsport Australia and the FIA, assisting across a range of programmes.

Schenken will remain as an FIA Platinum track inspector and Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix Chairman of the Organising Committee and Clerk of the Course. “I will of course remain available to the Race Control team, should they wish to chat or debrief

Before becoming a race director, Schenken enjoyed a career as a driver.
Schenken is one of just five Australians to have stood on a Formula 1 podium sharing elite company including Sir Jack Brabham, Alan Jones, Mark Webber and Daniel Ricciardo.

His sole podium came in 1971 at the Austrian Grand Prix for Brabham.

Schenken would go on to race in sports cars, contesting the 24 Hours of Le Mans on five occasions.

He also founded his own race car building business Tiga Race Cars with New Zealand’s own Formula 1 exponent Howden Hanley.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
<snip> ........just one seat left to be confirmed now..... that of the #7 Heimgartner vacated seat at what will be Grove Racing for next year with the total Grove takeover of what was/is Kelly Grove Racing. That seat is pencilled in to be for Kiwi hotshot Matthew Payne but is subject to him being given a Supercars Super licence dispensation, which seems likely to happen (my opinion). Yes he made a mess of the red flagged final race in the washed out result, but he was one of many caught out by the conditions after the final restart. It was his first time ever in the car, let alone being in the car in the soaking wet. His performances up to then were quite impressive other than messing up his first ever Super 2 start. To start your first race in a category on the front row as an 18 year old, having already only hours before set the fastest time in the Bathurst 2nd driver practice when he filled in for Luke Youlden in the #26 Penrite Mustang. The guy has a future. As long as he does not make a mess of his Super 2 appearance at Bathurst I see no issues.

So yeah, a busy silly season is now all but done.

But maybe not....

It seems the what will be Grove Racing for next year have yet to even apply for a dispensation for Matt Payne's necessary Superlicence. I think they may be some doubts in their mind and uncertainty as to whether he is ready for the main game. That is my belief reading between the lines of a statement issued today by Steven Grove.

Grove reviewing Payne’s 2022 Supercars plans

Grove Racing is set to review its plans for Matt Payne this week as it decides whether or not to push for his inclusion in next year’s Supercars Championship.

He was always their plan, but despite a brilliant first day out at Eastern Creek last month where he topped the additional drivers SC practice and subsequently qualified on the front row for Super 2, he has not shown huge potential and has had several incidents that I believe might be causing some second thoughts..... , he stalled on the front row in the following day’s Super2 race, which was attributed to “a misstep on the starting procedure” in the team’s press release, and tangled with a Super3 competitor as he tried to drive back up through the field.

In a wet Race 2 of the weekend, Payne and the following Angelo Mouzouris caused a red flag when they careered off Brabham Straight at a restart and smashed into the tyre barriers.

Then in Super 2 at Bathurst, Payne copped a penalty for crashing into Tyler Everingham on the out lap at the start of a qualifying session, and received a drive-through for a nudge which helped Jaylyn Robotham hit the barriers at Griffins Bend in Race 1Asked if there is a plan B should Payne not receive dispensation, Stephen Grove said at the Bathurst 1000, “We haven’t really looked at that in the sense that we just wanted to sit and see where Matt was, Monday, Tuesday [this] week.
“It’s been a pretty busy week for us as a team because we finish the year, then on the 20th of December we formally take 100 percent ownership of the team [Kelly Grove Racing], so there’s a lot to do between now and the 20th and work out our direction for next year.

“But, [this] week we’ll sit down, we’ll review how Matty went, we’ll review the incidents, we’ll get some advice, [and] we’ll talk to Craig Baird, who’s got an enormous amount of experience. (He is alsoI think the Driving Standards man at V8SC)

“He helps us with our junior programme, so we’ll sit with him and we’ll get a view from him and we’ll make a decision on which direction we head.”

“We’ve had some issues that have been caused by him, and we’ve had some issues where he hasn’t caused them, and that’s the general concept of racing; they’re racing pretty hard,” said Grove of Payne’s spate of incidents.

“We’re just going to go through the review process at the end of this weekend [Bathurst] and just assess whether Super2’s an option or whether Carrera Cup’s an option or whether the main game’s an option.”

“Everybody here (at Bathurst) who’s racing this weekend that would be a potential [replacement] would be a co-driver now, I would think, so they need to focus on their races and their teams, and from Monday onwards, we’ll start talking to people.”
I think that they have been to Bathurst, not seen the sort of progress from Payne they were hoping for and at the same time had their eyes opened by the quality of some of the main game co-drivers (ie Holdsworth!) who maybe they see as a better option and could no doubt be keen (ie inexpensive), whilst they run Payne in a full year of Super 2 to build his experience.

Lets not forget Payne only has one season of Covid interrupted running in feeder categories. The main game is a big step up from anything he has ever experienced.

I may well be wrong ..... they might indeed next week send off the dispensation papers to Motorsport Aus. But the fact they have now said they are going to talk to others (co-drivers at Bathurst makes me think he is no longer as firm a favourite as he was.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Yeah I don't see things going too well for him if he goes into the main game straight away next year. They can always try and get a wildcard together for him anyway if they're really committed.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah I don't see things going too well for him if he goes into the main game straight away next year. They can always try and get a wildcard together for him anyway if they're really committed.
Interesting that now Holdsworth has suddenly this evening admitted he would drop his WAU co-driver role for a full time drive...... without mentioning any team. Erm, how many seats are still available. Oh yeah, just the one. At the very time (Monday / Tuesday) that StevenGrove said he would start talking to people :suspicious: :whistling: :haha:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago Yeah I don't see things going too well for him if he goes into the main game straight away next year. They can always try and get a wildcard together for him anyway if they're really committed.
Interesting that now Holdsworth has suddenly this evening admitted he would drop his WAU co-driver role for a full time drive...... without mentioning any team. Erm, how many seats are still available. Oh yeah, just the one. At the very time (Monday / Tuesday) that StevenGrove said he would start talking to people :suspicious: :whistling: :haha:
As we suggested would happen Matt Payne has been confirmed to be running in a Grove Racing Altima in Super2 for next year (2022)..... thus making him unable to fill the Heimgartner seat in the main game.....

.....Holdsworth scores 2022 Grove Racing Supercars seat

So Lee Holdsworth is back in the main game having been dumped last year and then teaming up with Chaz Mostert to win Bathurst with Lee playing no small part in that success.

At one stage, he’d looked firmly in the running to replace Bryce Fullwood at WAU before they reunited with Nick Percat, leaving Holdsworth to be less than confident about his chances… until now.

I think it is the right decision.... Lee has a lot of experience and is going to be more use in the Grove Racing line up given their new engineering staff and new direction without the Kelly influences and help.

In fact his confirmation at Grove gives that team the most experienced line up on the grid
Holdsworth has 476 starts, and Reynolds 369 starts. Together, they combine for 845 races and 386 rounds. Both are the most of any 2022 line-up, ahead of Team 18.

Mark Winterbottom (558 races and 250 rounds) and Scott Pye (279 races and 124 rounds) combine for 837 races and 374 rounds.

So that completes the field for 2022. This graphic shows who has moved from where and confirms the 2022 lineup