2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

SMP PART 4 IS THIS WEEKEND.

This weekend it is a different format, with just two races for the V8's but they are both 250 klm races, one a twilight race on Saturday and one a daylight race on Sunday. Will Anton De Pasquale continue his run of form seen here in recent weeks? Will Will Brown and Erebus continue their improved performances.
The V8's will be using a combination of hard and super soft rubber so strategies will come into play.

Decent support categories as. well with the S5000 getting a run, along with Trans Am Super 2 and Super 3.

The weather forecast yesterday was rain on Friday Saturday and Sunday, but today it seems to have improved. The broadcast does not start here for another hour so I cant give you an actual weather.

We know Reynolds is back in the #26 Penrite Kelly Grove car.

Action starts today, albeit just practice and qualifying with racing starting tomorrow.

Full timetable and event guide .pdf available here.: https://issuu.com/speedcafe/docs/rjbatt ... -smp4-2021

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago SMP PART 4 IS THIS WEEKEND.

The weather forecast yesterday was rain on Friday Saturday and Sunday, but today it seems to have improved. The broadcast does not start here for another hour so I cant give you an actual weather.
Well it is not raining currently, but the word is there will be loads of rain over the weekend especially on Sunday for the penultimate race of the year.

The commentators are still raving about the dice between SVG and JW last race of. last weekend.. They have also interviewed the two drivers about it 'after the debrief'. It seems the debrief was quite lively, Jamie suggesting he was possibly a bit naive in wanting SVG to work with him to get Brown.... (Even though Shane had newer tyres). Anyway JW was adamant that although he respects the 'Captain's call' and knows he did the wrong thing he was hoping that SVG would have understood that with JW being 3 races from full time retirement he wants to go out on a high.

SVG on the other hand said he was confused.... he loved the being able to race JW hard, but objected to being run off the road more than once, and knows JW did the wrong thing. SVG was definitely a bit pissed by it all, that is clear. He accused JW of basically having ego over the team result and opportunity. At the end of the day he said he enjoyed it but knew that with all the car damage from rubbing, that those running the show and making the calls for JW to help SVG were not impressed and there was going to be an unpleasant debrief after.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I think 250k races will be a bit more fun, though the racing has been pretty good over the last 3 weeks.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Nothing really to do with the main events of this weekend, indeed perhaps more to do with the Bathurst 1000 but chose to post it here.

Part of todays track action was a 'special' session for Bathurst co drivers. Nothing unusual there. Except it was not all Bathurst co-drivers taking part. For some reason Luke Youlden was not doing the co-driver stint for the #26 Penrite car. Maybe something to do with him having run the car in the main game for the past two weekends. Driving the #26 was none other than Mat Payne, the Kiwi teenager and Kelly Grove Academy junior.... yes the one who is favoured to, Supercars license issues not withstanding, be Heimgartner's replacement for next year in the KGR Ned Mustang .

Clearly Payne is trying to get as much testing and seat time in the category to assist him to gain the license dispensation he will need to join the big boys next year. As an aside he is also running in the Super 2 support race this weekend for the same reason. His experience of late has been in Carrera Cup.

Anyway cut the crap, Matt Payne went out in this co-driver session against many experienced enduro drivers, and promptly set the session fastest time. Pretty good debut session none the less.

Especially when he backed that up with the fastest time in the Super 2 opening session
, ahead of the likes of 888's Whincup replacement Broc Feeney!

All in all not a bad first day at the office in Supercars terms! What we dont know is what tyres everyone was using... maybe they gave Matt some decent rubber to do a bit of a PR boost to impress those that need to be impressed if he is to obtain the dispensation he so badly needs.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in the next. Super 2 session on shortly.

Results: Additional Drivers Practice

Pos Num Team/Sponsor Driver Car Fastest lap Tyre Split
1 26 Penrite Racing Matthew Payne Ford Mustang GT 1:31.0953 S
2 25 Mobil 1 Appliances Online Lee Holdsworth Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.1771 S 0:00.0818
3 34 UNIT Racing Kurt Kostecki Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.4006 S 0:00.3053
4 7 NED Whisky Racing Matthew Campbell Ford Mustang GT 1:31.4080 S 0:00.3127
5 6 Monster Energy Racing James Moffat Ford Mustang GT 1:31.5134 S 0:00.4181
6 5 Truck Assist Racing Zak Best Ford Mustang GT 1:31.5734 S 0:00.4781
7 44 Boost Mobile Racing Thomas Randle Ford Mustang GT 1:31.5951 S 0:00.4998
8 35 Yellow Cover Racing Jayden Ojeda Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.6717 S 0:00.5764
9 8 R&J Batteries Dale Wood Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.6751 S 0:00.5798
10 2 Mobil 1 Middy’s Racing Warren Luff Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.6812 S 0:00.5859
11 99 Erebus Boost Mobile Racing David Russell Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.7051 S 0:00.6098
12 17 Shell V-Power Racing Team Alex Davison Ford Mustang GT 1:31.7425 S 0:00.6472
13 4 SCT Logistics David Wall Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.8019 S 0:00.7066
14 14 Cub Cadet Mowers Dean Fiore Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.8695 S 0:00.7742
15 3 CoolDrive Racing Tim Blanchard Ford Mustang GT 1:31.9283 S 0:00.8330
16 96 Coca-Cola Racing Chris Pither Holden Commodore ZB 1:32.0084 S 0:00.9131
17 11 Shell V-Power Racing Team Tony D’Alberto Ford Mustang GT 1:32.1765 S 0:01.0812
18 20 DEWALT Racing James Golding Holden Commodore ZB 1:32.2936 S 0:01.1983
19 19 Local Legends Jonathon Webb Holden Commodore ZB 1:32.3043 S 0:01.2090
20 18 IRWIN Racing Michael Caruso Holden Commodore ZB 1:32.5417 S 0:01.4464
21 22 Team SYDNEY Dylan O’Keeffe Holden Commodore ZB 1:32.6047 S 0:01.5094
22 97 Red Bull Ampol Racing Team Garth Tander Holden Commodore ZB 1:33.1258 H 0:02.0305
23 88 Red Bull Ampol Racing Team Craig Lowndes Holden Commodore ZB 1:33.1735 H 0:02.0782
24 9 Erebus Motorsport Jack Perkins Holden Commodore ZB 1:34.3095 H 0:03.2142

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

damn, that's actually impressive. Surely the license must be his then?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago damn, that's actually impressive. Surely the license must be his then?
It has certainly done him no harm, and yeah I was super impressed. A bit like Raikkonen the guy only started racing cars a year ago..... in his case when Coronavirus interfered with his Euro Karting aspirations. So he started racing stuff in NZ.

An interesting article about him being stuck in Italy when the first cases of Covid happened and how his world turned upside down in the space of a couple of days. Until back in NZ he tried an FF and decided he wanted to do the NZ Formula Toyota series and won it as a rookie.... then Earl Bamber took a chance on him

This is just a small extract from the article. Bear in mind he is only 18 the whole article is a good read.

Who is Matthew Payne? Meet Supercars’ new hotshot

....Payne sampled a Formula Ford but quickly found himself looking at the Castrol Toyota Racing Series. Soon enough, Payne had locked himself in for the three-round 2021 season.

Around the same time, work was underway to figure out his next step after the Toyota Racing Series.

Despite being an unknown quantity, Earl Bamber Motorsport signed the 18-year-old as part of a new scholarship with Porsche New Zealand.

Payne soon proved Porsche right, finishing third in the New Zealand Grand Prix behind established Supercars names Shane van Gisbergen and Andre Heimgartner.

Only days after winning the series in his rookie season, Payne moved to the Gold Coast to contest Porsche Paynter Dixon Carrera Cup Australia for Earl Bamber Motorsport......

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

So, this Payne guy sure came out of nowhere? I don't recall him being mentioned in the driver market discussions during the break? There will be 25 full-time entries? Tickford fields an additional fourth car to raise the overall number by one?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

He's been suggested as Heimgartner's replacement for awhile now, I think the only reason he wasn't announced was that they didn't know if he could get an exemption to get the required license to compete in the championship.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago So, this Payne guy sure came out of nowhere? I don't recall him being mentioned in the driver market discussions during the break? There will be 25 full-time entries? Tickford fields an additional fourth car to raise the overall number by one?
His name started being mentioned almost as soon as Heimgartner announced his shock departure after months of both sides saying "Nothing actually signed but its all agreed bar the signatures" talk. That Heimgartner was bailing KGR came a few days or so after the news broke that the Kelly family were selling out completely to Grove.

As @theracer120 suggested the lack of Superlicense points due to his lack of racing experience was being mentioned when his history and lack of actual experience in the right series (ie no Super3/Super2 history) soon highlighted he would not come close to qualifying for an SC S/L and would need an exemption. My understanding is that no exemption has been granted yet and this is why he has suddenly appeared on the first Super2 event entry after his name first appeared (and I imagine why he was thrown into the #26 Penrite car yesterday, ) to show his abilities to those at "Motorsport Australia" that will grant the exemption.

From a couple of months ago.....
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Re the Heimgartner seat at Grove Racing I see the hopefuls are busy already....
Kiwi young hotshot Matt Payne is emerging as a left-field candidate for the seat.

The revelation comes with the announcement of Payne’s signing of a long-term agreement to become the first Grove Junior academy driver..... presumably he comes with a budget.
Im not sure if I got the he comes with a budget bit right..... however he is clearly well connected and must have access to backing be it family or what I dont know.... to organise a seat in the NZ Toyota series at the drop of a hat indicates scrabbling around for a budget was not a problem. Im happy to be corrected, but bottom line is whatever his financial situation the kid is clearly blessed with talent from what we have seen.
To walk into Super 2 and day 1, with no mileage under your belt, go out and be faster on debut that someone like Feeney, who has been in the Supercars system for years, and is known to be talented enough to be have been confirmed as JW's replacement at T888 says something to me

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Is the Supercars field really that exclusive they need to have superlicense points? :wink:

Obviously I have no access to Australian motor news so Payne is a left-field choice indeed regardless of his age. He doesn't appear to be much different than the Kostecki circus which looked out of depth when I first saw them at Bathurst. And at least one of them appears to have some pace on merit :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Qualifying about to start for the V8s in a minute or so. Just a reminder that we have a (Top 10) shootout later on this afternoon.... obviously the fastest 10 from this session going through
Currently it is dry, and will be for this session I am sure.... but the shootout is a couple of hours after this 15 minute session and that could well be wet.
A couple are planning ahead and doing outlaps on wet tyres now in qualy (although it is bone dry)..... just to bed in a set of wets for 'when' it happens. Avoid doing a shootout lap on green wets if the rains come

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Through to the shootout in this order go:
De Pasquale on provisional pole from van Gisbergen, Whincup, Davison, B.Kostecki, Pye. Le Brocq, Hazelwood, and Waters.
Mostert and last weeks winner Will Brown miss out and will start 16th.

Full result:

It could get interesting in the shootout if rain arrives in the middle of it.... ADP running last and those others qualifying faster could suffer to early runners getting better conditions. The one scenario where rain is not the same for everyone. :wink:

The shootout is scheduled to start at 16:35 local time/AEDT.
Race 29, which is over 64 laps,(250klms) is scheduled for 19:10 local time/AEDT.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Wow ..... Matt Payne continues to impress, taking 2nd in Super 2 qualy ,...

.... having been on provisional pole long after the flag dropped. Due to his being fastest in earlier outings he skipped Q1 and straight to Q2. Ojeda took pole having started his final lap in the dying seconds. No q3 in Super2 this weekend so that is a front row start for Matt.

Championship leader Feeney, as a reference, finished 4th, a couple of tenths down.

Another feather in Matt Paynes cap I have noticed is that yesterday he set the outright Super2 lap record.

I would not normally bother with feeder series times but today I make an exception.....

Pos Car Competitor/Team Driver Vehicle Cap CL Laps Fastest...Lap Gap
1 31 Jayco / MWM Jayden Ojeda Nissan Altima 5000 4 4 1:29.9700R
2 10 Grove Motorsport Matthew Payne Nissan Altima 5000 5 4 1:30.2002r 0:00.2302
3 777 Red Hot Couriers / MWM Declan Fraser Nissan Altima 5000 4 3 1:30.3595r 0:00.3895
4 888 Triple Eight Race Engineering Broc Feeney Holden Commodore VF 5000 4 3 1:30.4190r 0:00.4490
5 27 Blue Ribbon Legal / MWM Tyler Everingham Nissan Altima 5000 4 3 1:30.6531r 0:00.6831
6 49 Joss Group / Image Racing Jordan Boys Holden Commodore VF 5000 5 3 1:30.7967r 0:00.8267
7 78 Best Leisure Industries Zak Best Ford Falcon FG/X 5000 4 3 1:30.7989r 0:00.8289
8 88 Eggleston Motorsport Australia Tim Blanchard Holden Commodore VF 5000 4 3 1:30.9682 0:00.9982
9 30 Matt Stone Racing Aaron Seton Holden Commodore VF 5000 4 2 1:31.2525 0:01.2825
10 6 Triple Eight Race Engineering Angelo Mouzouris Holden Commodore VF 5000 5 3 1:31.2558 0:01.2858
11 18 Falcon Spares & Repairs Matthew Chahda Ford Falcon FG/X 5000 5 4 1:31.3279 0:01.3579
12 38 Eggleston Motorsport Australia Tony D'Alberto Holden Commodore VF 5000 4 4 1:31.4018 0:01.4318
13 999 Rare Spares / Image Racing Jaylyn Robotham Holden Commodore VF 5000 3 1 1:31.4494 0:01.4794
14 54 Eggleston Motorsport Australia Matthew McLean Holden Commodore VF 5000 4 2 1:31.4719 0:01.5019
15 69 Dial Before You Dig Jon McCorkindale Holden Commodore VF 5000 4 3 1:31.5942 0:01.6242
16 28 Natural Gas and Water / MWM Josh Fife Nissan Altima 5000 3 3 1:31.6276 0:01.6576
17 11 Brema Group Racing Zane Morse Holden Commodore VF 5000 4 4 1:31.7456 0:01.7756

Fastest Lap Av.Speed Is 156kph
Current Practice/Qualify Record Is 1:30.8770 Set On 18/11/2021 By Matthew Payne In A Nissan Altima
R=under lap record by greatest margin, r=under lap record, *=fastest lap time

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Pole position for De Pasquale! He is making a habit of it at the Creek.

There bwas talk of it started to spit with rain as the first car came out for the shootout, but it never materialised in any meaningful level. Mind you the track looked a bit less grippy, but that seems to have been the overall thought by drivers in other categories running, that being grip levels had deteriorated.

Anyway we ended u with ADP heading Whincup from Davo and SVG, which makes for an interesting line up with teamates line astern on both sides of the grid. Behind them Brodie K carrying the Erebus flag and Hazelwood a decent 6th.

Results: Top 10 Shootout for Race 29, Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight

Pos Num Team/Sponsor Driver Car Fastest lap Split
1 11 Shell V-Power Racing Team Anton De Pasquale Ford Mustang GT 1:30.4532
2 88 Red Bull Ampol Racing Team Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore ZB 1:30.6648 0:00.2116
3 17 Shell V-Power Racing Team Will Davison Ford Mustang GT 1:31.2645 0:00.8113
4 97 Red Bull Ampol Racing Team Shane van Gisbergen Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.2739 0:00.8207
5 99 Erebus Boost Mobile Racing Brodie Kostecki Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.3193 0:00.8661
6 14 Cub Cadet Mowers Todd Hazelwood Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.5810 0:01.1278
7 8 R&J Batteries Nick Percat Holden Commodore ZB 1:31.7658 0:01.3126
8 5 Truck Assist Racing Jack Le Brocq Ford Mustang GT 1:31.8290 0:01.3758
9 6 Monster Energy Racing Cameron Waters Ford Mustang GT 1:31.9658 0:01.5126
10 20 DEWALT Racing Scott Pye Holden Commodore ZB 1:32.1144 0:01.6612

I dont normally watch Super 2 but I am intrigued to see how Matt Payne goes and how will he go in what seems to be a less griy and overcast track, and that is on next (Just had an S 5000 race)

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Welp, he stalled at the start and lost 20+ seconds. Pretty hectic first lap actually, Blanchard spun off at 1 and Ojeda the polesitter got forced off the track and dropped to 20th. Someone blew an engine in Super3 as well
Last edited by theracer120 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Damm WTF Payne just sat on the line. Not sure if he stalled or what.....