2021 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2021 Supercars and Supports

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bathurst meeting hinted to open 2021 season

Time for a 2021 thread seeing as today saw the finale of the various Supercars championships for 2020.....

Supercars CEO Sean Seamer has given a strong hint that Bathurst will indeed host next year’s championship opener.

Strong hints that Bathurst will open the new season, in place of the usual Adelaide 500 (ex Clipsal) meeting, which the organisers prefer to hold later in the year due to Covid implications and interstate restrictions. The Bathurst 12 hour is seen as unlikely for the same reasons but from an International focus.
Mount Panorama was being considered as the host of the first event of 2021 due to the move of the Superloop Adelaide 500 away from its traditional position and the doubt over the internationally-focused Bathurst 12 Hour event, which Supercars owns.

Speaking from the circuit as part during the Gala Awards presentation after the 2020 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, Seamer stated that those in attendance would return in around four months’ time.

He also heaped praise on all of those involved in putting on this year’s championship after the regular setbacks presented by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It’s been said a million times but this is a year like no other, and it’s put us under a tremendous amount of pressure,” observed Seamer.

“But the way that we’ve conducted ourselves, the resilience we’ve shown, has proved to the world exactly why we are some of the best in the world at what we do.

“For all of that, everybody in this paddock, in this pit lane, the teams, the Victorian teams, should be really proud of what they’ve achieved.

“It hasn’t just got us to this point right now; it’s set us up very, very well for the next five years.

“So, we come off the back of this year with a lot of great momentum, we’ve got a lot to be excited for in the next five years, but right now it’s time to get back to families, and the people that have made the most sacrifice of all of us; the ones that have missed their loved ones for so much time.

“I wish everybody a good time, get home, get home safely, and enjoy some downtime with your families and we’ll get back here to Bathurst in February.”

The boss of Supercars’ incoming free-to-air broadcaster, Seven’s James Warburton, had also dropped a strong hint of the development in on the day that the new television deal was announced.

“Next year, we’ll be showing seven key races live and free, including the iconic Bathurst 1000, and the Bathurst 12 Hour race, or the Bathurst 500 in ’21,” said Warburton in a video presentation with Seamer, his successor as CEO of the category.

Speedcafe.com understands that the format could replicate that used by the Adelaide 500, among others, namely a pair of 250km races.

Mount Panorama is limited by state legislation to five full circuit closures per year, including the Bathurst Bathurst 1000 and Bathurst 12 Hour.

While the latter could be switched to a Supercars Championship event, it is understood that the Australian Racing Group’s TCR enduro prevents it from holding a single 500km race there.

The Bathurst 12 Hour was set to double as a Supercars event when the now concluded season was set to spill into 2021, before it was pared back to a discreet calendar year.

The 2021 calendar is due to be announced this month.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/10/18/su ... -february/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Team Penske is withdrawing from Supercars next season
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

And Scott McLaughlin is heading to Indycar full time. The DJRTP team is set to revert to just being DJR with Ryan Story leading the team. They haven't announced their drivers for next year but it's strongly rumoured that it'll be Anton de Pasquale and Will Davison.

Team Penske announced today that it will not return to compete in the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship for the 2021 season. The team’s exit concludes an incredibly successful six-year run in Supercars competition. Since joining forces with Dick Johnson Racing to form DJR Team Penske (DJRTP) in 2015, the team has earned 56 wins, 62 poles and six championships, including three-consecutive driver’s titles with Scott McLaughlin. Fabian Coulthard produced the team’s first pole position in 2016 and its first race win in 2017.

Team Penske will assist team co-owners Dick Johnson and Ryan Story with the transition as they prepare for the 2021 Supercars season. The team is expected to announce its plans for next season, including a 2021 driver lineup, in the near future.

Team Penske also announced that McLaughlin will transition from Supercars racing to begin the next phase of his career. McLaughlin will race for Team Penske to complete the team’s four-car, full-season lineup in the 2021 NTT INDYCAR SERIES. The 27-year-old McLaughlin will make his INDYCAR SERIES debut this weekend at the 2020 season finale on the Streets of St. Petersburg.

“We have enjoyed an incredible six seasons competing in the Supercars series with DJR Team Penske,” said Roger Penske. “Partnering with Dick Johnson and Ryan Story to form DJR Team Penske was an incredible experience that produced success on the track and in the boardroom. We have built so many lasting partnerships and friendships, and competing in Supercars has certainly helped strengthen our brand and our business in Australia and New Zealand. Unfortunately, with the challenges we have faced in 2020 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have had to readjust our business initiatives for 2021 and beyond. We want to thank Dick Johnson, Ryan Story, Fabian Coulthard and all of our team members for their hard work and dedication as we reestablished a championship organization together over the last six years. I know that Dick, Ryan and the team will continue to build on that success moving forward.”

https://www.teampenske.com/news/index.c ... RS_IN_2021
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Well, not really that surprised.... they said they would make decisions after Bathurst and they were good to their word.
I must confess it was looking more like it would all happen of late.... I think the statement that made me pretty sure was ScottyMac saying how it had been an honour to drive these last few years with DJRTP.... not the sort of thing you say half way through a stint and more a departure thing.
Best of luck to Scott over thre and I am pretty sure he will do ok certainly on the road tracks. The ovals might be a challenge initially I reckon, particularly with the drafting and slipstreaming do's and donts.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Not 100% sure what exactly it'll mean (eg: live coverage or not), but...

https://mumbrella.com.au/foxtel-to-offe ... ayo-650929
Subscription TV provider has decided to offer a free version of its sports streaming platform Kayo.

The move will hopefully entice more advertisers and subscribers to the service, with Supercars the first sport to be offered outside of the paywall.

Kayo launched nearly two years ago and saw its subscribers plummet earlier this year during the COVID-19 restrictions on live sport. The platform has since announced its biggest ever subscriber count.

The ‘freemium’ Kayo subscription will only include some sports and certain extras, including match repeats, statistics and shows.

“We see this as a way for consumers to experience Kayo without a credit card and a way for subscribers to continue their Kayo experience if they paused their subscription after a big event or at the end of their favourite sports season,” said Delany at Foxtel’s upfronts event on Thursday.

“This is a game-changer in subscription television and another opportunity to deliver advertisers even greater premium reach.”

Delany said the offer gives Kayo ‘more reach’ and will allow it to keep in touch with consumers who choose to pause their subscriptions. Foxtel says the decision is in line with sporting codes demanding bigger audience numbers, not a desperate bid for subscribers.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the free Kayo offering may have been part of Foxtel’s discussions with Rugby Australia earlier this year.

The free version of Kayo will roll out next year.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Of course the ramifications of both Scott and Penske leaving means that all deals are off as far as driver market is conterned. DJR as they are now certainly need to get a replacement for Scott, and I know Coulthard is out of contract, and in my belief not about to be re-signed by DJR. He was a good backup for someone like Scott in the same way as Bottas is to Hamilton in F1.

Word is going around that De Pasquale and the out of a full time drive Will Davison will be taking the DJR seats, leaving Coulthard at the job centre.

De Pasquale is out of contract at season end and his performance would certainly appeal to DJR. Will Brown, who has been tied to Erebus in a co-driver role for enduros would be likely to step into his shoes at Erebus for 2021 should ADP depart.

Obviously that will have spin offs throughout the Supercars paddock. Not only with drivers, but with sponsors moving, and even Racing Entitlement Contracts (REC's), the V8SC Championship Entry that must accompany each car entered. rumoured to be swapping teams as some of the RECs are currently leased to teams by individuals, some are owned by drivers, some are still owned by defunct teams (ie the Milwaukee Mustang that quit mid 2020.)

All in all the off season will be a hive of activity, rumours and speculation.

Watch this space for news and updates. Throw your own ideas and suggestions in as well.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Shell have confirmed they will continue as naming rights sponsor for DJR, having today renewed their contract for at least 2021.

Shell has had a long standing relationship with Dick Johnson Racing dating back to the early 1980s as a minor sponsor and then with full branding starting with the iconic DJR Sierras..

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Watch this space for news and updates. Throw your own ideas and suggestions in as well.
I reckon we've possibly seen the end of Fabs as a full-timer... I don't know if there's anywhere he could go if he has gotten dumped by DJR. There has been rumours that Blanchard has obtained the 23red REC and will be splitting from BJR to start his own two car team, so that could be an opportunity for him.

Otherwise I think pretty much all the non-backmarker teams have locked in their lineups, except maybe BJR and I don't think they'd be willing (or able) to get rid of any of their guys.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

And 1 hour later Rick Kelly has announced his full-time retirement so that might be a spot for Coulthard:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/10/26/ke ... supercars/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It seems also that there is some doubt about Dave Reynolds continuing at Erebus, despite being only one year in to a ten year contract.....

Reading between the lines there is a problem between Erebus CEO Barry Ryan and Dave. Ryan says he needs to know whether Anton De Pasquale and David Reynolds want to part ways with the team soon. Apparently Dave loves working for team owner Betty Klimenko, but not so keen on Ryan. Ryan has apparently placed restrictions on David's Fiancee, who is a bit clingy in terms of David at race meetings, which doesnt impress Barry who is a bit of a control frak and his way or the highway. So I have heard.

Barry has said he has two contracted driver, being Dave Reynolds and Will Brown.... at one stage earlier this year there was talk of the team possibly running a third car in 2021 for Brown, but maybe that is all on hold atm. It certainly seems Anton de Pasquale is heading to DJR but nothing confirmed yet.

Ryan is known for being a bit difficult to work with, His comments have been very much if they want to stay thats good if they dont we will work a way around that. He just wants clarity asap.

Brodie Kostecki, who drove for the team as co-driver to ADP at Bathurst, is also in the picture should Dave Reynolds and ADP depart.

This is what he had to say:
.“At the moment, the rumour mill is involving us, but we don’t know anything more than you might know, and anything we do know we can’t really comment on – there’s not much to say,” he said.

“There’s more rumours about what Anton’s doing and what Dave is doing. Until they tell me, I don’t know anything. I haven’t got anything to say.

“They obviously know what they want to do. If it’s different to what we want to do then they need to tell us.

“We just want to go racing with the two best drivers. If it’s Anton and Dave, that’s great. If it’s not, then we’ll figure out what we’re going to do.

“We’ve got Will (Brown) already contracted. Hopefully in the next few weeks we’ll know what’s going on.”

“All drivers are pretty guarded with what they say,” he added.

“Anton’s situation, we spoke just before Bathurst and said, ‘let’s just get through Bathurst and forget what might happen’. The conversation we’ve had with Anton is that we’ll talk soon.

“As far as I’m concerned he (Reynolds) is contracted for another nine years. If he’s looking around, good luck to him, but I don’t know how he’s going to go somewhere else.”
More details on Brown and Kostecki here:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/10/27/er ... -reynolds/

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago ten year contract
:shocked:
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago ten year contract
:shocked:
Yep, a bit of a shock when it was announced last year.

https://www.supercars.com/news/champion ... the%20team.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago
There has been rumours that Blanchard has obtained the 23red REC and will be splitting from BJR to start his own two car team, so that could be an opportunity for him.

Otherwise I think pretty much all the non-backmarker teams have locked in their lineups, except maybe BJR and I don't think they'd be willing (or able) to get rid of any of their guys.
Todd Hazelwood will continue competing for Brad Jones Racing. It seems Brad Jones has purchased the ex Munday 23Red REC that was used to run his Milwaukee Tools Mustang for Will Davidson out of Tickford. Boost Mobile took over (leased) the Milwaukee car and REC to run James Courtney last year, so although Boost have confirmed continuing in a new Mustang out of Tickford, they need to organise an REC.
The now owned by Jones REC will allow him to continue as a 4 car entry to replace the as rumoured departing Blanchard REC. Jack Smith who runs out of BJR is using the REC owned by his Dad, so the waste of space will also be continuing. I guess Blanchard will be only a single car at this stage unless Supercars release one of the RECs they hold on behalf of ex teams.

As for the 4th seat in the team it is not yet known whether Macauley (son of Brad) Jones will keep running or whether that seat might go to a returning Coulthard or even suggested maybe David Reynolds depending on how serious his spat with Erebus is.

Personally I think Coulthard would be a better fit as@theracer120 said within the Kelly team, replacing Rick.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Adelaide 500 reportedly cancelled for 2021

Shame if it is true but reports have emerged the Superloop Adelaide 500 will not return to the Supercars Championship calendar in 2021. Although only now on a shortened version of the mighty Adelaide GP Street circuit it was one of the most popular events on the calendar and certainly one which was a great season opener. It has been a great event throughout its 20+ years to date.

The race was rumoured to close out next year’s season after it was announced the event would not be the usual opening round of the championship due to the challenges brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

However, there have been reports the South Australian Government will no longer continue to support the street circuit event beyond 2021.

The Adelaide Advertiser has reported an announcement is expected to be made soon.
“The Superloop Adelaide 500 has been an event icon for over 20 years, and this decision was made with careful consideration,” South Australian Premier Steven Marshall told The Advertiser.

“COVID-19 has presented significant challenges for the events sector, and the uncertainty and other factors became an insurmountable hurdle in the plight to deliver a successful race.
Rumours are that the SA Govt will instead be lending a hand and helping promote Tailem Bend......

EDIT: EVENT CONFIRMED CANCELLED.... Permanently

The South Australian Tourism Commission has confirmed that the Superloop Adelaide 500 is no more.

COVID-19 has been cited as a key factor in the decision, including “the inability to recoup costs in a pandemic”.

However, the move was also attributed to a declining fanbase, after a year in which the Adelaide 500 recorded an aggregate crowd of 206,000, the lowest since it became a four-day event in 2003.

That led to suggestions the event could revert to three days before SATC, the government body which acted as promoter, relinquished season-opener status for 2021 due to uncertainty caused by the pandemic.

Despite signs a new contract for 2022 and potentially beyond was coming, it has now given up on the event altogether.
At the end of the day, with the current set of circumstances we are not in a position to deliver a sustainable, successful future for the event for next year and beyond said the Govt..

Now I understand why the SA Govt are putting effort behind Tailem Bend, which they see as the future of SA Motorsport.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Now I understand why the SA Govt are putting effort behind Tailem Bend, which they see as the future of SA Motorsport.
I would hope so.

It blows big time to lose the 500, that was one of the best tracks in Australia.

Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if the other street circuits get cancelled as well since they're all reliant on government funding. Maybe Townsville might stay because there isn't any permanent track up there (although one is being built atm).