2020 Oz Supercars & Supports | Le Bend

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Results: Race 30, OTR SuperSprint The Bend

Pos Num Team/Sponsor Driver Car Laps Race time
1 6 Monster Energy Racing Cameron Waters Ford Mustang GT 32 41:58.0917
2 17 Shell V-Power Racing Team Scott McLaughlin Ford Mustang GT 32 42:01.4503
3 88 Red Bull Holden Racing Team Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:03.0447
4 8 R&J Batteries Nick Percat Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:05.4519
5 97 Red Bull Holden Racing Team Shane van Gisbergen Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:05.7947
6 25 Mobil 1 Appliances Online Chaz Mostert Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:08.6281
7 14 TRG Transport Todd Hazelwood Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:09.4390
8 12 Shell V-Power Racing Team Fabian Coulthard Ford Mustang GT 32 42:10.0332
9 5 Truck Assist Racing Lee Holdsworth Ford Mustang GT 32 42:12.3393
10 44 Boost Mobile Racing James Courtney Ford Mustang GT 32 42:18.8243
11 99 Penrite Racing Anton De Pasquale Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:19.3560
12 20 DEWALT Racing Scott Pye Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:19.5522
13 2 Mobil 1 TM Middy’s Racing Bryce Fullwood Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:22.2562
14 7 NED Whisky Racing Andre Heimgartner Ford Mustang GT 32 42:23.1660
15 15 Castrol Racing Rick Kelly Ford Mustang GT 32 42:25.1441
16 18 IRWIN Racing Mark Winterbottom Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:25.8533
17 9 Penrite Racing David Reynolds Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:26.6706
18 3 Team CoolDrive Macauley Jones Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:28.4429
19 55 Supercheap Auto Racing Jack Le Brocq Ford Mustang GT 32 42:28.7242
20 34 UNIT Racing Jake Kostecki Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:30.8438
21 35 Yellow Cover Racing Garry Jacobson Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:37.1563
22 4 SCT Motor Sports Jack Smith Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:41.6683
23 22 Team SYDNEY Chris Pither Holden Commodore ZB 32 42:45.6439

Drivers’ championship

Pos Driver Pts
1 Scott McLaughlin 2354
2 Jamie Whincup 2049
3 Cameron Waters 1849
4 Shane van Gisbergen 1795
5 Chaz Mostert 1700
6 Nick Percat 1641
7 Fabian Coulthard 1560
8 Anton De Pasquale 1469

Team Championship

The battle for the teams’ championship is still on, with DJR Team Penske’s lead over Triple Eight Race Engineering now exactly 100 points with 576 still up for grabs.

Red Bull copped a 30 point penalty today along with a $1500 fine for a mix up in a pitstop today...... Whincup appeared to hit his right-hand wheel man’s rattle gun as he entered the pit box for his compulsory pit stop, with the impact causing Car #88 to drag the air line. It also added a few seconds to the stop time and cost JW a couple of places in race 2.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago I guess the next big news will relate to Penske and his undecided continuance with V8SC... although the team will continue with or without him from what I gather. ( I have heard rumours that Ryan Story will increase his shareholding and take over / buy Penske's shares).
Plus of course Scott's future and what country it is in. Those decisions will all I guess be post Bathurst.
I think both Coulthard and Scott are out of contract in terms of V8SC at the end of the season
It'll be interesting to see if they keep Coulthard on too, there's been rumours it that it's going to be DePasquale and W. Davison there next year which would be an interesting pairing (although it seems a bit unlikely to me)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago UPDATE...... GRM will not contest Bathurst 1000 if Herne cannot race

Team Director Barry Rogers said he intends to fight the decision, otherwise the team will not compete in the Great Race.

Rogers labelled the announcement “disappointing” for the team.

When asked if the team had a back-up plan, Rogers replied, “There’s no back-up plan, we won’t run (if Herne cannot race).

“We’re confident that we can get this through on the precedents that has been set.”

Rogers said he was optimistic the team would get the dispensation allowed, citing 17-year-old driver Broc Feeney who will also contest this year’s race.

Appeals Court to hear GRM Superlicence case in coming days

As has been reported previously GRM indicated they would be taking the case through legal channels to the independant Aus. Motor Sport Appeals Court....

Garry Rogers Motorsport’s bid to have Nathan Herne contest this year’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 is set to be heard by the Australian Motor Sport Appeals Court. in the next few days. This will allow the team, if successful to continue with their plans to run at Bathurst with Herne. The team are clearly confident of success having already got the team staying in quarantine in NSW in line with current border restrictions.

Further material, including data from the recent test at Winton Motor Raceway, held since the original application was denied, was provided and considered by Motorsport Australia and the Supercars Commission.

However, Motorsport Australia has remained firm in denying Herne a dispensation. A shame, and as has been said it is purely in my mind a decision taken because Herne, who does not have the wealthy background of many others, was unable to go through the 'approved official Super 3 / Super2 pathway to Supercars, having chosen to take the much lower budget avenue of TA2, still big V8 engined slicks and wings cars with Supercars power.

The latest MSA statement:
“Senior representatives from Motorsport Australia, together with the full Supercars Commission met last week to consider the application by Nathan Herne for a Superlicence dispensation,” read a statement from Arocca.

“All material previously submitted by Mr Herne together with additional information that was not available at the time of the initial dispensation application was considered by this panel including additional references, along with data from a recent test day provided by GRM.

“Following consideration it was unanimously determined a dispensation would not be issued in this instance based on all the information submitted as part of this process and before the panel.
Best of luck to GRM in their appeal.... they have already said that they will not be running without Herne, and the extra entry would be another car on the grid. Apparently it is not as I thought about money in sponsorship that Herne had brought in as Garry Rogers has said he is funding the exercise totally himself and with existing backing the team had, and is as he has in the past trying to help a couple of young talented drivers to progress their careers in Motorsport.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

BREAKING: GRM drops Herne Superlicence appeal

Garry Rogers Motorsport has dropped its appeal to the Australian Motor Sport Appeal Court over the decision to not grant Nathan Herne dispensation for a Superlicence, Motorsport Australia has announced.
“Motorsport Australia has been advised by lawyers acting for Nathan Herne and GRM that they will not continue with their appeal to the Australian Motor Sport Appeal Court (AMSAC),” said Motorsport Australia CEO Eugene Arocca.

“The decision to not award a dispensation was made purely and only on safety grounds, considering the relevant experience of the driver in question. Any suggestions otherwise are simply not true and ill informed.

“Motorsport Australia does not compromise on safety. Some of the most senior and respected motorsport people in Australia considered the matter and all came to the same decision through this process.

“Motorsport Australia considers this issue resolved and we wish Nathan all the very best with his career.”
After assessing its options, it was on Wednesday confirmed that GRM had lodged an appeal with the Australian Motor Sport Appeal Court in an effort to have that decision overturned.

Without a Superlicence, Herne is unable to compete in the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

GRM has previously stated that it would not continue with its entry should Herne not be allowed to compete.
The car was due to be travelling to Bathurst last night, and also all the race staff have been in place serving their quarantine to meet the restrictions in place on Victorians. It seems a bit silly to not run the car with another driver with the necessary licence in Herne's place. Apparently when the news broke of Herne being not granted the licence several other young drivers contacted GRM in hope.
I wonder if the team might re-think its no Herne no entry statement.

A shame if they dont do something with the entry given all the arrangements made and money spent to relocate staff for quarantine. Hopefully we will see the car running next weekend.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
GRM has previously stated that it would not continue with its entry should Herne not be allowed to compete.
The car was due to be travelling to Bathurst last night, and also all the race staff have been in place serving their quarantine to meet the restrictions in place on Victorians. It seems a bit silly to not run the car with another driver with the necessary licence in Herne's place. Apparently when the news broke of Herne being not granted the licence several other young drivers contacted GRM in hope.
I wonder if the team might re-think its no Herne no entry statement.

A shame if they dont do something with the entry given all the arrangements made and money spent to relocate staff for quarantine. Hopefully we will see the car running next weekend.
Well, in line with my thoughts of a rethink re no Herne no race, it did not take long for Plan B to be aired......

GRM confirms Ojeda in place of Herne for Bathurst

Garry Rogers Motorsport has confirmed Jayden Ojeda will step into its wildcard entry for the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 in place of Nathan Herne, who failed to qualify for the required Superlicence for Bathurst / V8SC.

There are no such concerns for Ojeda who has campaigned in state level Formula Ford before progressing to Formula 4 in 2018 and the Super3 Series last year. In 2020 he has been competing in the Super2 Series with MW Motorsport and currently lies fifth in the standings.
It leaves him with more than enough points to be eligible for a Superlicence without any need for dispensation.

So, he will join Tyler Everingham in GRM’s Holden ZB Commodore, Team Director Barry Rogers has advised Speedcafe.com

The announcement leaves Ojeda less than a week to prepare for his maiden appearance in the Bathurst 1000, practice for which commences next Thursday. He is based in NSW so has no needs to quarantine.

Best of luck to the team after what has been a long drawn out process. This is the common sense solution. Sorry for Herne but I dare say his opportunity will be on the cards when he has more experience. At least GRM are continuing with their give younger drivers an opportunity mantra.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Fullwood confirmed to continue with Walkinshaw in 2021.

Walkinshaw Andretti United has announced Bryce Fullwood has had his contract extended and will continue racing with the team in next year’s Supercars Championship.
He graduated to the main game after winning the 2019 Dunlop Super2 Series, dominating the field across the seven events, to secure the championship with a round to spare.
He has not had a bad year for a rookie, even managing to finish on the podium at Tailem Bend.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Camaro confirmed for Supercars as Gen3 details revealed

Category organisers today announced the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is set to join the championship in 2022 alongside the Ford Mustang.
/b]
A render of a Gen3 Chevrolet Camaro Supercar

A Ford Mustang concept under Gen3

Supercars has confirmed it is in discussions with other manufacturers to secure IP agreements to facilitate more models joining the category.
In what has been described as an “evolution” of the existing platform, Gen3 will see the introduction of a new technical and aesthetic design.

As reported by Speedcafe.com this week, the new-look Supercars will bear a closer resemblance to their road-going counterparts.

Key to the technical specification is a car that is 100mm lower and 100mm wider.

Fundamental to the Gen3 chassis design is that it can accommodate a wider range of silhouettes to attract more manufacturers to the championship.

Supercars is in discussions with manufacturers to secure additional intellectual property agreements.

Supercars has stipulated that the doors, roof, bonnet, and windows of the race car will have the same key dimensions as the road cars they are based upon.

The chassis will be lighter, safer, simpler, and the majority of all current controlled componentry (dampers, rear suspension, gearbox/transaxle, etc) carried over.

As it stands, those existing components will remain available from Supercars and control specification components may continue to be fabricated by teams or purchased from the category.

The Gen3 design maintains its race car appearance courtesy of a front splitter styled in a similar vein to the current generation of Supercar but aims to see a 30 to 40 percent reduction in cost.

Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said the announcement was a major milestone for the category.

“We are thrilled to welcome a brand new race car design to the track in 2022,” said Seamer.

“The cars will retain their signature V8 engine format to ensure they’re fast and loud, but will be ‘hybrid ready’ and more closely resemble the road cars they are based on.

“These are incredible looking race cars that give a nod to the Supercar of the past, with as much attention given to the design and appearance of the cars as the new technologies.

“The Gen3 project will support the longevity of Supercars by increasing relevance to our fans and partners, reducing operating costs, and making the racing even fiercer.

“The cars will have a lot less downforce than the current car, making the racing more spectacular and putting more reliance on driver skill.”

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/10/15/ca ... -revealed/

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

They look good, and it seems like the new regs are a step in the right direction in terms of making the cars cheaper and simpler. Whether it'll be enough to get another manufacturer in is another question, I think they can survive on just Mustang vs Camaro but it wouldn't be ideal.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Certainly a great improvement over the current set up with the Gen 2 Mustang.... at least the Gen 3 looks a bit more made to measure than made to fit.

Im also glad they have kept the V8 aspect, and seem to have shelved the V6 Turbo they got as far as trialling before sweeping it under the carpet. They are talking of making it hybrid adaptable but tbh hybrid is already losing its relevance with manufacturers already looking at alternative power/fuel as being the future.

As for alternative manufacturers it would be nice, but given the minor size and relevance of our market on a world scale I cant see how any manufacturer can justify the costs involved, and I just dont see it even with Gen 3. We have got by ok with two brands before and I agree we can survive on it.

Predictably Triple Eight Engineering has confirmed it will race the Camaro from the introduction of Gen3 in 2022.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tickford confirm Courtney with Boost backing continuing for 2021

James Courtney will continue racing in the Supercars Championship with Tickford Racing in 2021.
The team has confirmed that Courtney will remain with the operation with Boost Mobile backing.
This year Courtney has recorded four top five finishes, including a season-best second place finish at the Darwin Triple Crown. Certainly an improvement over the team Sydney operation he walked out on, fortunately for him to pick up the vacant car of the Covid casualty Tickford run Milwaukee Racing entry of Will Davison which folded early in the year.