[BTCC/STCC/TCR etc.] 2023

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

If you didn't watch the DTM vs. Super GT "Dream Races" from Fuji Speedway, you missed out! A fantastic all-star event, and some epic racing on top of that. You can watch them for free on motorsport.tv.

More races could be in the making: https://sportscar365.com/other-series/s ... nt-events/

I'm really psyched to go to DTM at Anderstorp next June. @John ?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Also the Kyalami 9 hours was a classic. The event was received that positive that the WEC is thinking about adding the track in their schedule.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Local government denies permission for DTM races at Norisring

The DTM looks set to be forced into further changes to the 2020 calendar after authorities in the city of Nürnberg revealed that the planned season opener at the Norisring can not take place.

The street circuit was named as the opening round of a new-look ten event calendar, although with the proviso that the event – along with round two at Spa – would be subject to government approval.

Local authorities have now revealed that even without any fans attending, it won’t be possible to host the race as planned, with any ban on major events remaining in place in the area until the end of August.

“Due to the infection protection regulation in the Corona crisis and the ban on major events, we cannot grant the DTM approval for the Norisring scheduled for July 10-12,” a statement read. “It still applies that major events until the 31st of August 31 are prohibited.”

“In view of the pandemic situation that still exists, it can be assumed that the corresponding bans will also apply to the scheduled race date.

“As the responsible district administrative authority, we come to the conclusion after examination that this event cannot be approved as a ‘ghost race’ for reasons of infection protection law and that we cannot issue an exemption as it stands today.”

Nürnberg Mayor Marcus König added that he was looking forward to event returning in 2021.

“We regret this situation,” he said, “and look forward to a new edition of the traditional Norisring race next year!”

TouringCarTimes has approached DTM umbrella organisation ITR for a comment.
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2020/06 ... norisring/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

As I have said all along in the F1 thread, ultimately it is the Government departments that will decide when and in what manner we return to any motoracing. Any calendars published by race organisers are not worth the paper they are written on until they get stamped with Govt approval.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

DTM at Assen this weekend. Watching the Tourenwagen Classics qualifying, the Zakspeed Capri from 1980 is not even 5 seconds slower than the modern day DTM cars! Beast.

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago DTM at Assen this weekend. Watching the Tourenwagen Classics qualifying, the Zakspeed Capri from 1980 is not even 5 seconds slower than the modern day DTM cars! Beast.
Used to think the Zakspeed Capris were so tasty. So 'I mean business dont fuck with me'.
Thanks for the vid link. :thumbsup:

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

DTM will race at the Nordschleife in 2021!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago DTM will race at the Nordschleife in 2021!
That will be a must watch. Wonder what speed (time) they will lap at, .I think the current outright record is about 6 mins :45

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago DTM will race at the Nordschleife in 2021!
That will be a must watch. Wonder what speed (time) they will lap at, .I think the current outright record is about 6 mins :45
I don't think it will be much different from the 24h weekend. The announcement today didn't say anything about any additional modifications to the current GT3 cars (from what I gathered). More info pending.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Can someone give me the short story on what we can expect from the DTM next year? Haven't followed the series at all these past few years.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

John wrote: 3 years ago Can someone give me the short story on what we can expect from the DTM next year? Haven't followed the series at all these past few years.
ever seen a GT3 race? Just like that, just without driver changes.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

John wrote: 3 years ago Can someone give me the short story on what we can expect from the DTM next year? Haven't followed the series at all these past few years.
How about the long story you can flick through. (Article was in Autosport a month ago.)

Short story is basically going to be GT3 based, with Sprint races and consisting of 'Privateer' teams rather than Factory entries.
What we know so far about the new-look 2021 DTM

The DTM is set to undergo a major overhaul in 2021, ditching silhouette cars and manufacturer entries in favour of a privateer-led, GT3-based formula. RACHIT THUKRAL explains what its new era could look like next year.

During the sixth round of the 2020 season at the Nurburgring last weekend, ITR chairman Gerhard Berger announced that the DTM would continue to exist in 2021, but will reposition itself as a GT3-based sprint series with all entries run by privateer teams.

Berger also revealed that current DTM manufacturers Audi and BMW have voted in favour of the new regulations and will support their customers in the category.

While the exact details about the 'New DTM', including the regulations itself, are still being worked out, this is what we know about the future of the category so far.

GT3-based regulations
The DTM will feature GT3-based cars in 2021, ending its touring cars roots to transition itself into a sportscar racing championship.

The new formula would be christened as GT Pro and Berger plans to have the regulations finalised by the 2020 title decider at Hockenheim in early November.

Although the details are sparse at the moment, the modifications made to the GT3 cars would be minimal to keep costs under control. Berger said the upgrades would be aimed at improving the spectacle and aligning GT3 cars to a sprint racing format.

It is understood this could include bumping up the engines to produce 600bhp, although this has yet to be confirmed by the series.

A system of Balance of Performance will be used to ensure equitable performance, with Berger feeling it is a necessary evil in GT racing.

Which manufacturers will be racing in the DTM next year?
Both BMW and Audi have pledged support for the new GT3-based DTM, which theoretically means that the series incumbents will aid those customer teams that sign up for the series. This support is likely to be limited to technical knowledge and spare parts, although Berger has not ruled out the possibility of manufacturers financially assisting their customer teams.

According to Berger, several other manufacturers have shown interest in racing in the DTM, but he insists he has not entered into any "substantial discussions" with them.

Berger has always maintained that his priority was to reach a deal with Audi and BMW before entering into advanced talks with other manufacturers. Now that both German marques have given a thumbs up to the new regulations, Berger is expected to proceed further in his negotiations with new manufacturers.

It remains unclear if manufacturers will have to bear the cost of upgrading the cars, with BMW's Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt in particular having ruled out making changes to its outgoing M6 for a single championship, especially when its new M4-based GT3 car will be ready in time for the 2022 season. The new model will be homologated by the FIA in September next year.

Mercedes - which competed in the DTM as a manufacturer until 2018 - also appears to have a similar stance to BMW, although Berger said he has not heard anything from either marque in this regard.

According to Berger, it remains to be seen if BMW teams could still compete in 2021 with the ageing M6 model. Should that not be possible, he added that there remains a possibility that the new M4 could make an early debut during the latter part of the 2021 season, ahead of a full campaign the following year.

Will current teams stay in 2021?
All three Audi outfits - Abt, Phoenix and Rosberg - have shown initial interest in competing in a GT3-based DTM, but none want to commit to the category before the regulations are finalised and the budget can be ascertained.

As part of sweeping changes for 2021, all teams will be required to secure a budget of their own in a bid to reduce reliance on manufacturers.

"For sure we have rough calculations, but detailed figures we still don't have because we don't know tyre regulations,' said Abt team boss Thomas Biermeier (above). "To make a budget, we need to know if we are limited with staff, tyres and the rules - sporting and technical rules.

"If we know these rules, I can give you a rough estimation, but currently it's too early to be honest. It's going to be cheaper compared to Class One, I don't know by how much."

The possibility of BMW teams RMG and RBM remaining in the DTM could well depend on whether or not a BMW car will be ready for the new DTM ruleset in 2021.

Will the DTM continue to attract top quality drivers?
Berger has insisted that the DTM would remain a series for professional drivers and will not feature a driver categorisation system used in other GT3 categories that allows amateurs to race against full-time racers.

He is also confident of retaining current drivers as he believes the DTM would go on to become "the best GT sprint series in the world" when it transitions to the new ruleset.

Prior to Saturday's announcement, Audi Sport boss Dieter Gass said he would be willing to let the marque's factory drivers compete in the DTM for its customer teams.

"Supporting could mean drivers we have on our contract will run in those teams," Gass said. "Then obviously it would be kind of an agreement we would need to find with the teams on the economical side."

BMW's stance on this matter remains unclear, but there is no reason to think that it would prevent its drivers from competing in the DTM.

However, both Audi and BMW have vacant seats in their respective teams, while BMW also has a factory programme in the GTLM class of the IMSA SportsCar Championship - although it is yet to formally commit to the 2021 season. This mean both marques could call upon their factory drivers to compete in championships.

Two-time DTM champion Rene Rast competed for Audi in the final six races of the 2019-20 Formula E season in Berlin and is widely expected to sign a contract for the 2021 campaign alongside Lucas di Grassi.

Current championship protagonists Nico Muller and Robin Frijns also raced in Formula E in the recently-concluded season for Dragon and Envision Virgin Racing respectively and the latter already has a firm contract for next season.

BMW also has a seat to fill in its Formula E team following the departure of Alexander Sims to Mahindra. Philipp Eng recently expressed his desire in racing in the all-electric series next season, while his stablemates Marco Wittmann and Lucas Auer have also tested BMW's FE cars in recent months.

It is unclear if the 2021 calendars for both championship would allow drivers to undertake a dual campaign.

What does it mean for Class One?
SUPER GT and the DTM agreed to Class One rules to much fanfare in 2018 and there was talk about expanding the scope of the tie-up to begin a global championship sometime in the future. A joint race between the two categories was held successfully at Fuji Speedway in Japan last year.

This was a culmination of the efforts that began in the early part of the decade that saw the DTM and SUPER GT share several common parts such as the chassis, before agreeing to a complete unification of the rules.

But the adoption of GT3-based rules means the DTM will abandon Class One in 2021, despite Berger remaining a vocal supporter of the ruleset and its ultimate potential.

However, the DTM's move won't mark the end of Class One itself as SUPER GT will continue to ruleset until at least 2023.

ITR and its SUPER GT equivalent GTA are also set to meet on 27 September to discuss their future relationship, with one of the topics up for discussion being the use of common parts.

What else will change in the DTM?
While the DTM will switch to GT3 cars next year, it will retain its current weekend format of two sprint races, each lasting 55 minutes plus one lap.

The calendar would again be split equally between German and non-German venues, with Berger targeting between eight to 12 rounds - with 10 being the ideal number.

And although DTM, short for Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters, will become a sportscar racing series in 2021, it will not change its name. ITR had previously wanted to rechristen the DTM in its bid to boost the series' international appeal, but the DTM name will now continue to live on.

"I love the name DTM," Berger said. "It will stay forever."

Among other changes, the DTM will undergo a change of ownership following Audi and BMW's decision to withdraw their shareholding in ITR e.V. This would see Berger take over full ownership of the DTM via his company BMS.
https://www.autosport.com/dtm/news/1523 ... tm-new-era

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

@Everso Biggyballies with the long post and @Cheeveer with the TL;DR. :haha: Thanks guys.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

The Swedish TV channel that has the DTM rights (Sportkanalen) won't show the finale live! They will begin their broadcast at 14:00. Is there any other way to watch the race live from start in Sweden? Panicking a bit here!

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago The Swedish TV channel that has the DTM rights (Sportkanalen) won't show the finale live! They will begin their broadcast at 14:00. Is there any other way to watch the race live from start in Sweden? Panicking a bit here!
Is there not a stream at the DTM website?

If you had no luck I just checked coverage of DTM in Sweden on the DTM website and they are showing/offering race 1 highlights atm with no sign up. Not live but maybe better than a kick in the gonads. :wink:

https://grid.dtm.com/en-int/playerpage/272663

Maybe @erwin greven . might know of something.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago The Swedish TV channel that has the DTM rights (Sportkanalen) won't show the finale live! They will begin their broadcast at 14:00. Is there any other way to watch the race live from start in Sweden? Panicking a bit here!
Is there not a stream at the DTM website?

If you had no luck I just checked coverage of DTM in Sweden on the DTM website and they are showing/offering race 1 highlights atm with no sign up. Not live but maybe better than a kick in the gonads. :wink:

https://grid.dtm.com/en-int/playerpage/272663
I believe that's been geo-blocked for the live broadcasts. We'll see.