50th Anniversary 2012 BATHURST 1000 RACE, Mt Panorama

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Percat/Tander are in huge trouble. Percat hit the wall at the Dipper. They are probably through. Well, at least, they're out of contention. So that's it for last year's winners. The drama just keeps on coming!
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Debris caution. Everybody in except Whincup & McIntyre, so now they lead.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

It's funny how luck sometimes goes... The guys who had bad luck with the tyres end up in the lead at the quarter way mark.

Tough luck on GT and Percat. Nick looked absolutely distraught afterwards in the car.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Steve Owen has crashed hard at Turn 2 in #49. Apparently forgot to pump the brakes. He is OK.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Whincup looked worryingly fast on that stint, and managed 20+ laps on a set of tyres. If he gets in front again he'll be tough to beat.

Gizzie is now on 8th and Lowndes on 13th, with slower traffic in front of them in the restart. Should be fun after the restart.

And Davison in 20th and expecting a penalty for a pit infraction.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The key was he stayed off the kerbs. That is the difference between getting 20+ laps on a set of tyres rather then getting 10. And I should think that a number of people will have worked that out, so perhaps the tyre dramas won't be as much of a problem now.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

As predicted, black flag for Davison/McIntyre.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

theracer120 wrote:The key was he stayed off the kerbs. That is the difference between getting 20+ laps on a set of tyres rather then getting 10. And I should think that a number of people will have worked that out, so perhaps the tyre dramas won't be as much of a problem now.
One would think... Then again, these are racing drivers. Gizzie's tyres didn't last 8 laps.

Davison down to 20th after that drive through, should be interesting to see the march back up the field. Ditto for Van Gisbergen if he figures out how to make his tyres last.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

McIntyre got spun out by Youlden a few laps back.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Wow, what a finish!
Whincup/Dumbrell won (what a surprise) but Reynolds/Canto were very close. If you gave it one more lap, Whincup would have run out of fuel. Lowndes put a stunning performance through to gain about 10 seconds on the third & fourth cars (Courtney/McConville & Caruso/Ritter) within about 15 laps or so. It was a great finish, to a great race.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Davison also had what was nearly an enormous accident at the Chase as the rear watts link (sic) broke killing the brakes as well and the car started to go straight on, but he put it into a spin to slow it down and he went sideways into the gravel trap, before spinning back the other direction getting air as he went across the track before he hit the concrete wall on the outside of the Caltex Chase turn quite heavily (though at low speed) and he got back to the pits.
Also, guess what? There were only 5 safety cars all day long if my calculations are correct, which as far as I recall, is a very low number compared to the last few years.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

The last few stints were indeed amazing. A great end to the race.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

That was a great race, I managed to watch pretty much all of it even though I had no intention of doing so (dozed off a couple times), then switched over for the GP too.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I fell asleep at abouut lap 60'ish, which is a little embarrassing as that was only around 10pm over here.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

The last 40 laps or so were among the best I've seen. Proper racing, that race had everything.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Cheeveer wrote:The last 40 laps or so were among the best I've seen. Proper racing, that race had everything.
Far better than the GP for sure.

When you say the race had everything, is that everything as per the ' Triple BBB' plan' mentioned earlier in the thread? :tongue: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always