RIP Jason Richards

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Bottom post of the previous page:

That's a shame, RIP.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Hamster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Hamster »

Terrible news. :(
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Sad, sad news.

Godspeed, Jason :rip:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Very, very sad news. A huge shame. I am a bit numbed by it all t.b.h. It has been one of those (couple of) weeks. It was expected we know, but having seen him a few weeks ago I was thinking months rather than a couple of weeks. :sorrow: :rip:

Jason was one of those guys that just adored his motor sport, be it historic or modern open wheelers he was up for it with the ever present smile. Also one who would make time for anyone, anytime. Very refreshing to meet a 'celebrity' / sporting professional, who had no airs and graces or ego, and never really had a bad word to say about anyone..... even Paul Morris when he drove into Jason and tipped him over at high speed once did not spark any anger, but disappointment. "I'm very, very disappointed with Paul," was the extent of his anger. The officials saw things differently and Black Flagged Morris for a one minute stop and go penalty.

This something he said recently that follows highlights his remarkable attitude to life. Perhaps something a few of us here at F/L who have had a bad run could take on board. I know it has made me think about things in my life a bit more positively.
Jason Richards wrote:I've had some negatives - and you have to feed yourself positive energy.

"Cancer, depression, I'm sure there are a whole bunch of things in the world. Anyone who is not feeling happy in life needs to find the thing that makes you happy and go do it.

"For me, my clarity is racing a car. It's so refreshing. If I can inspire people who have what's happening for me, that's a real positive.''
Inspirational was one thing Jason was to the max. To me he was in his own way getting up towards the Zanardi's of this world in terms of inspiring others facing major battles, by treating his own suffering with a smile and a positive outlook that is so important in the fight for a quality of life when the going gets tough.

I think this tribute is pretty well on the mark, from Brad Jones Racing:
"In the competitive world of V8 Supercars Jason was a rare breed - a driver that could tread the fine line between rivalry and friendship."

"He was never secretive, selfish or bad-tempered and had endless enthusiasm and energy for his job and team."

“The history books will not do him justice. Given the right equipment, ‘JR’ was easily a front-runner but chose team loyalty over personal gain, determined to work with his crew to reach the front of the grid together.

"Through the highs and lows of racing, JR's uplifting presence and casual, self-effacing wit were unwavering and his effect he had on team morale is irreplaceable. He will forever be a member of the Jones family and this is a tragic day in the team's history."
I wish that just one of his three runner up trophies at Bathurst could have been a win. Sadly his talent far outweighed what the stats show, as Brad Jones highlighted. He spent too much time in poor teams, but always seemed to punch well above his weight when it came to the many times he put ordinary cars in places they rightfully should not have been.

At the end of the day this is a very bad case of 'Only the good die young.'

A memorial service to honour Richards and his career wll be held at Sandown Raceway in Melbourne in the next few weeks.

Sympathies and condolences to his wife Charlotte and their children Sienna and Olivia.

Jason at Albert Park for the GP meeting earlier this year.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I have never seen so many tributes coming out. Seriously, it has been almost Brock like (actually just realised I was in Europe then.... Here are a few of the motorsport ones for Jason..

Tribute list to the late Jason Richards.

Jason Bright, Team BOC and Richards’ team-mate
God now has my four favourite drivers in his team, Gilles Villeneuve, Ayrton Senna, Peter Brock and Jason Richards. RIP buddy.

Garth Tander, Toll Holden Racing Team driver and three-time Bathurst champion
RIP Jason Richards. I am sure he lobbed at the pearly gates and asked, “Which way does the track go and what’s the lap record?”

Shane van Gisbergen, SP Tools Racing driver
We’ve lost one of the greats, but we all remember such great things about him. I remember Jase being so welcoming and helpfull towards me when I first started in V8s. Tough on track but always smiling, we will miss him.

John Bowe, V8 Supercars legend
Jason Richards, my dearest friend – awesome dad, wonderful husband, loving son, a brilliant racer and a hero to all. We will miss you mate …. we’ll take care of your girls ………… our hearts are broken ………… Such a tragic loss.

Craig Baird, Carrera Cup Champion
RIP my little bro. You touched us all.

Mark Beretta, Seven Network sports reporter
Numb at news of Jason Richards passing. Positive and powerful to the finish as always. A magic bloke and a champ. Will miss him. RIP.

Ed Jackson, AAP journalist
RIP Jason Richards. Horrible news. Great bloke gone far too soon. Thoughts with his wife and kids at this time

Darrell Waltrip, NASCAR legend
So sorry for the loss of Jason Richards, God Bless.

Greg Rust, Network 10 motor racing commentator
All our love and thoughts to Jas’s beautiful family and everyone in the V8 Supercars fraternity. One of the genuine good guys gone way too soon. Miss u champ.

Michael Caruso, V8 Supercars driver
RIP Jason Richards. A true champion off & on the track. We’ll miss you mate.

Nick Percat, Bathurst 1000 champion
Very sad news today. RIP Jason Richards. You will be deeply missed mate. Loved watching you race anything you got your hands on!

Chris Stubbs, Fox Sports News presenter
Condolences to the family of JR and all in the V8 community. He has been an inspiration to so many.

Cameron McConville, Race car driver
It’s a very sad day.

Fabian Coulthard, 2012 Brad Jones Racing driver
Tears in my eyes … Jase was a mate, mentor and someone I idolized as I was growing up. It’s now all memories!

TeamVodafone, Champion V8 Supercars team
We are all deeply saddened to hear our mate Jason Richards passed away last night. On behalf of everyone at TeamVodafone and Triple Eight Race Engineering we send our deepest condolences to his family at this difficult time.

Jack Perkins, V8 Supercars driver
Very sad day. RIP JR. Another good one gone way too soon …

Tony Cochrane, V8 Supercars Chairman
Jason Richards was, and will always be remembered, as a highly respected race car driver and champion on and off the race track.

James Moffat, Jim Beam Racing driver
Another tough day for the Motorsport community with the sad news of Jason Richards. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP Jase.

Will Davison, Trading Post Racing FPR driver
I am so proud to of known JR – I am so inspired by the way he attacked life and this cruel disease. I will miss you so much Jase! True legend.

Karl Reindler, V8 Supercars driver
JR, an awesome team-mate, great family man and all-round good guy – thanks for all the great memories, you’ll be missed mate! Thoughts are with Charlotte, Sienna, Olivia, and Mum and Dad back in NZ. RIP

George Miedecke, V8 Supercars hopeful
Mourning the passing of Jason Richards. It was only at homebush that I sat down and asked him for some advice. Great bloke.

Andrew Jones, Team BOC endurance driver
The world has lost a large sparkle. Very sad.

Mitch Evans, Kiwi Formula One hopeful
Losing JR today has brought tears to many of us. He wasn’t only just a legend behind the wheel but one of the nicest guys on this planet. No one will forget that constant smile, RIP Jason Richards.

Warren Luff, V8 Supercars driver
Such a sad day, my heart and prayers go out to JR’s family, such a tragedy

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

RIP :(
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

RIP. Very sad news indeed :(
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

Damn, my heart sunk when I read the title :sorrow:

RIP Jason. What a brave man.
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
This is an interview with Jason and Mark Beretta from the Sandown round of the championship. I think, perhaps, deep down in his heart, even if he wouldn't admit it, Jase knew his time was coming to an end. But he faced that with real courage and always with a smile. That is how he should be remembered.

A nice tribute from this forum might be to add to the picture on the top-left of the forum with Jason's photo or something.
Last edited by theracer120 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Super sad news, especially since he was racing just this past summer. Very bummed about this.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

RIP.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote:Super sad news, especially since he was racing just this past summer. Very bummed about this.
He raced in the support races at Bathurst, just two months ago in October.....
Everso Biggyballies wrote:Jason Richards WILL compete at Mount Panorama

OK, before we all get overly excited, yes he will be appearing at Mt panorama to drive, but not in the feature 1000k event. Instead he has been confirmed to be driving an HQ Holden in the Touring Car Masters class for the support races.

Richards has planned on attending the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 with his regular V8 team Brad Jones Racing, but says he is looking forward to the trip even more now that he has a race seat.

A friend of mine I know from my days of racing in the Historic Tourers, Tony Hunter, who happens to be the owner of Sunliner Caravans (probably the largest caravan and motorhome supplier certainly in Victoria) and regular competitor in the Historic Touring Car Masters driving a 280kph 1971 Holden HQ Monaro, with 600+ bhp 350 Chevy engine has kindly offered Jason not only the use of the Monaro at Bathurst, but thrown in a motorhome as well so Jason can make it an event for his whole family to enjoy.
Jason Richards wrote:“John Bowe and Tony Hunter were the instigators of it. They’ve got it up and running,”
“Tony is lending me his HQ Holden, and a motorhome, so we’re going to do a bit of a family trip up to Bathurst.
“I’m looking forward to it. I enjoy racing those types of cars. I enjoyed racing in the Muscle Car Masters in the Torana, and that is one of the reasons why this came up.”
This is the car he will be driving:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just a bit more on Jason just a few short weeks ago. I have assembled some race reports and video of his exploits racing in the last couple of months.....

Note: For those getting confused about this being his category debut, yet there are pictures of him racing Historic Tourers on the previous pages.....

The Touring Car Masters are a special breed. They cannot run as Historics, and indeed many of the traditionalists amongst the Historic set frown about them because they run with modern technology whereas Historic Touring Cars run with period technology. So Touring Car Masters run their own series using some fairly relaxed restrictions.... They dont get free reign, and nothing silly like modern / sequential gearboxes, and engine are based on what they should have in engine blocks and stuff but so is NASCAR and V8SC. They are Historic only in as much as the only actual historic aspect of the cars is the look / body shells. In fact I believe the only classification they could get, given the pretty much zero historic content, has resulted in them being issued with CAMS Log Books stamped as Sports Sedans, (Aussie for Super Saloons / Thororbreds)

Jason Richards first Touring Car Masters lap of Bathurst Practice 1 - IN THE VERY WET.

Bear in mind he had never sat in the car before, so 600bhp, narrow tyres and the conditions being a normal public road a few days prior, complete with Diesel spills and all the slippery stuff.... plus his personal situation.

RACE 1
In another outstanding drive Jason Richards was in a battle with the experience of Seton as Youlden’s HQ had serious focus on the tarmac ahead. Coming through the chase to complete the opening lap, Bowe went around the outside of Matt O’Brien who soon cruised into the run off, his gearbox having failed towards the end of the most competitive lap the car has completed so far.

While Jason Richards was making the pass on Abelnica, ahead was Seton all out of shape on the run up the mountain, while Youlden now had Bowe hot on his bumper. Jim Richards was revelling in the action behind, extending his lead to three seconds while still driving the Sprint hard, determination a key.

Mercer’s run was interrupted early when a clip came loose causing an electrical fault that saw the GTHO cruise into the pits for a quick fix, re-entering the circuit only to have the same clip add Mercer to the DNF list. Back on track the battles were continuing with Bowe keen to pass Youlden’s HQ, the Mustang firing up the inside of the HQ seeing Youlden spin, and as Bowe moved to go around through Forrest Elbow, Miedecke came flying into view with contact between the series front runners leaving Bowe’s headlight on the track.
<snip>

Action everywhere had Jason Richards still battling with Brad Tilley and Seton as they went three wide out of turn one, but it was the reigning champion out front running his own race and still posting the fastest lap.
Race 1 Video onboard with Jason

[youtube]0XLcQ6nmzVo&list=UUydBxwI6PN-PLQ6Gf1-9qKw&index=17[/youtube]

RACE 2
The lead group was looking settled, Jim Richards continuing to lead the field, with Seton in second with a decreasing split, followed by Jason Richards and Bowe after Bowe went wide through the chase and moving into fourth. Jim Richards wasn’t letting up, almost touching the wall across the top of the mountain as Seton closed the gap to be all over Richards’ bumper through the chase and looking around the outside of the Sprint through the final turn, but it wasn’t enough to secure a win.

Jim Richards brought it home with a lead from start to finish, but he took the glory by a mere 0.27 seconds from the hard charging Seton having missed all the drama behind but happy with the race win saying,
<snip>

Jason Richards, Bowe, Brad Tilley, Miedecke and Abelnica pushed each other to the line, before Mason and Cameron Tilley crossed the line in a battle royale of their own, three tenths apart in the run to the flag.
Race 2 Video onboard with Jason

[youtube]WcTegU66xQ8&list=UUydBxwI6PN-PLQ6Gf1-9qKw&index=16[/youtube]

RACE 3
As the lights came on one last time, the classic engines roared to life and it was go. Miedecke had another slow start seeing a mad scramble once more, Jason Richards forced his way right to left leaning on Bowe, action man of the weekend Stillwell went to the grass to pass O’Neill, Keene pushed to the centre for room, as pole sitter Bowe, Seton and Abelnica charged into the first corner. A crush of muscle hot on their bumpers.

Three wide up mountain straight, Abelnica was charging to the fore with the experienced Seton and Bowe pushing hard. It was the two Falcon XB’s leading the way across the mountain, Seton making his move to take the lead at Bathurst through the chase, Bowe pushing to the inside to take second through the final turn, Abelnica now heading series guest star Jason Richards. The action was raging through Murray’s corner, Mason moving under the Tilley GTHO for sixth, and seconds later Miedecke rounded up the Tilley Mustang through the same turn on his charge pack to the front.

Starting lap two, the leaders were streaming away as undoubtedly the strongest field yet on the mountain grew battle packs around the circuit. Karanfilovski looked under the Kassulke HQ into Hell corner, taking the position on the run up mountain straight as he went on to fight to 11th. Out of shape and struggling, O’Neill dropped from 26th to the rear of the field while at the front Jason Richards made his move on Abelnica for third, the top five now some two seconds further on track.

Miedecke continued to push on, under Mason into the chase as up ahead Jason Richards posted the fastest lap of the race......

.....The #10 HQ of Richards was hunting down neighbour and fellow enforcer Bowe, making the pass along Conrod straight for second, going on to set a new record on lap four with a 2:22.6622 in the hunt for Seton and the lead. Keene was back in the yellow #33 and carving up the bigger muscle ahead, gaining on Kassulke with a safe gap on McAlister. Out of sorts, Sparks was well back in the field, teething concerns with her new ride keeping her near garage mate Buik down in 26th.

With two laps to go, Richards was all over the back of Seton’s XB through the cutting, but all eyes were on the cutting where Wilson was all out of shape forcing Nelson wide onto the grass but fighting the mountain, all continued from the moment. The top four were now five seconds adrift as they crossed the line, Richards still all over Seton, pushing hard for a maiden race win in his maiden event with the series.

The drive through Murray’s corner for the second to last time saw the battle for 20th throw massive drama when Nittis’ GTHO went off the circuit, rejoining in the Wilson versus Whiteside battle. As Nittis returned from his off, Wilson was put out of shape on the inside of the corner, the Charger back on the tarmac and tagging the rear of Whiteside, sending the Mustang into the tyre wall at speed. The impact launched Whiteside, destroying the front and giving the Class B runner a massive shake up, the incident immediately bringing out the red flag to attend to Whiteside stranded in his destroyed machine.

From a race long battle, Seton would finally secure the long awaited Bathurst victory, more than two decades in the making. While all thoughts were on the health of friend and fellow competitor Whiteside, Seton was undoubtedly thrilled at finally conquering the mountain.
Race 3 Video onboard with Jason

[youtube]9580-hQJGPc&list=UUydBxwI6PN-PLQ6Gf1-9qKw&index=15[/youtube]

Very ironic that in the final race , Glen Seton won, from Jason Richards a very close second. So Glen took his first actual race win at Bethurst, and Jason Richards nearly did......

And now Jason in the Rothmans 962 Porsche......

Oh one other thing that happened recently was him being given the opportunity to lap a Rothmans Porsche 962 at the Eastern Creek Muscle Masters Meeting just about Bathurst time.

FloP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by FloP »

What an emotional read, what a tragic loss! RIP Jason, your legend will live on! :rip:
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

can't say I know this man really. But always sad to lose such a young bright human being. RIP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

FloP wrote:What an emotional read, what a tragic loss! RIP Jason, your legend will live on! :rip:
I have found Jason's passing probably more emotionally affecting personally than others, and it seems I am not alone. Perhaps it is because of his overall demeanour and the attitude with which he approached this awful sickness.

Amazingly, being a golf lover, Jason was determined to meet a commitment to play in a Pro-Am event last Wednesday. He practised on the Tuesday played the event on the Wednesday..... and then passed away Thursday.

Talking of an emotional read, this is from John Bowe, probably one of the least emotional, hardest nosed and most uncompromising of Motor Racing professionals that one would ever have seen. Competes now in his retirement in his own Camaro for the Touring Car Masters (The current Champion I am pretty sure), and is certainly one of the greatest all time locals... he was a multi category champion over the last few decades, from Touring Cars to Sports Sedans, Big (Can-Am equivalent) Sportscars, to Aus F1 and F2 open wheelers. He is also a multiple Bathurst 1000 klms winner.

John has opened up about the passing of Jason Richards – his neighbour, rival and friend. The Richards family live on the same street as Bowe in Melbourne’s Bayside area. While Richards and Bowe spent the first years of their relationship as rivals in the V8 Supercars arena, they quickly developed a strong friendship that was solidified when the pair became neighbours.
John Bowe wrote:Bowe says that he and other close friends of Richards were praying for a miracle cure to his rare and aggressive form of cancer – adrenal cortical carcinoma.
While the cure never came, Bowe says his mate fought until the very end.
“I knew the degree of his illness, as his inner-circle did, and we all hung on to this hope of a miracle drug,”

“He tried everything. He researched around the world, he went to America. He was about to start a new drug that was developed in Sydney. It was just going through ethics committee.

“Every time something else came up, we all had the hope that it was going to be the one to stem his bloody terrible illness. He just fought on and on.”

When Richards was diagnosed with the disease in November 2010, it became clear very quickly that the Kiwi was not going to let it stop him enjoying his life.

Despite the debilitating nature of the cancer, he continued to play an active role with both of his families – at home and at the race track.

Richards competed in two V8 Supercars races earlier this year while on a break from chemo, plus a number of selected races in other classes.

Every time he sat in a race car, he was competitive, remarkably winning on debut in the Fujitsu V8 Supercars Series at the Clipsal 500, before finishing second in Race 2 of the Albert Park 400 main series event a week later. As highlighted in my previous post, Jason came very close to winning a couple of races at Bathurst driving in the Touring Car Masters support event only last month. He did win in September, when he piloted the Holden Dealer Team A9X Torana to an incredible win in the Muscle Car Masters (not to be confused with Touring Car Masters :wink: ) in front of a packed Eastern Creek.

One of Richards’ favourite sayings during his illness was that competing in a motor race was his own personal treatment.

When his body became too weak to race, he turned to his other sporting love – golf.
Jason Richards (far left) on Wednesday during the Australian Masters Pro/Am with Golfer Richard Green, Geelong footballer Tom Hawkins and NRL’s Sydney Roosters rugby league star Braith Anasta. Green had specifically asked to be in the group with Richards, with the pair being close friends.

Anasta said Jason was a "golf tragic", but could play too. "His short game was immaculate and he was still hitting the ball really well," Anasta said.
"My heart really goes out to his family. What a great bloke."

Bowe says that his golf gave him a competitive outlet in his final days. “On Tuesday, he spent the day practicing his golf, and then on Wednesday, he played with Richard Green, a good mate of his, in the Pro/Am Masters,” said Bowe. "Greeny and Jason were perfect for each other. One wanted to be a racing driver and one wanted to be a pro golfer.

"Greeny used to ask him what sort of driver he thought he'd make. Jason used to joke about the equivalent of a 15-handicapper.

“That was one of his goals. He loved golf and he got out there and did it.
“At the end of the day, he was absolutely stuffed, but I could tell that it was mentally helping him.” Jason used a buggy throughout most of the round but he seemed to cope well....

"It will take some time for the Australian and international motorsport communities to come to terms with Richards’ passing." Even for Bowe, who knew the full extent of JR’s fading health, his mate’s passing is hard to fathom.

“I’m devastated, but I’m not as devastated as his immediate family,” said Bowe.
“He’s an amazing bloke. I spent a lot of time with him. I saw a resilience, a determination and a passion that is very rare. I feel so much for his little kids, and for him, that he’s not going to see them grow and do all the things that a father should.

“There’s no words that do the situation justice. I’m still in shock. It’s just very tragic and very sad.
“I have awesome memories of our time together, as most do, because he was a hard bloke not to love. He was one very amazing individual.”