WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Now It's V8 Supercars

Post by strad »

Jacques just won't let go.....
Former Formula 1 World Champion and Indy 500 winner Jacques Villeneuve says he is considering a full-time move to Australia's V8 Supercar series.

The Canadian is one of the star guest drivers joining the V8 regulars for this weekend's Gold Coast 600 two-driver races at former Champ Car venue Surfers Paradise. Villeneuve will be paired with Paul Dumbrell at Rod Nash Racing.

Villeneuve has focused primarily on getting into NASCAR in recent years alongside efforts to get back into F1, first with the Stefan GP squad and then with a project to create his own team in association with Durango. Neither was ultimately given an F1 entry. While NASCAR remains Villeneuve's primary aim, he said his V8 outing this weekend had opened up another new opportunity.

"There is a big chance you will see more of me here," he told the Sydney Daily Telegraph. "I would love to come and race here because it is such a great place. I wouldn't mind coming and doing it full time, because it could be a lot of fun."

He said his preference was for a fully fledged switch rather than further one-off appearances.

"Part time in Australia is too tough," Villeneuve said. "It is a long way to come and I have two little boys and you can't just leave for a month or two. It is much better to come and do it full-time and that is what I would do.

"They are cars I always have been intrigued by. Mainly because of Bathurst. I also got to see a fair bit of them at Melbourne during the F1. I have also spoken a lot to [V8 champion turned NASCAR racer Marcos] Ambrose about it in the States."

Other international guests joining the V8 lineup for Surfers include IndyCar's Dario Franchitti, Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon, Alex Tagliani and Ryan Briscoe, four-time Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais, World Touring Car stars Yvan Muller, Andy Priaulx, Alain Menu and Tiago Monteiro, plus additional ex-F1 drivers in the shape of Mika Salo and Gianni Morbidelli.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

The guy loves to race, and loves to race all kind of cars. And you all blame him for that?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Jeezuz why do we have to put up with him in Oz? We have enough dickheads in motor racing here already without him adding to the numbers.

I think he keeps setting targets, finds them difficult to attain, and then resets his sights a little lower. I can see him ending up back in F-Atlantic, Formula Ford or even back where he started in Alfa Cup. :roll:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

Cheeveer wrote:The guy loves to race, and loves to race all kind of cars. And you all blame him for that?
wAY WAY PAST HIS SELL BY DATE :sly:
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
sennadesillva
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by sennadesillva »

^^^i beg to differ he put up a damn good drive in the nascar race. how many drivers can u say know how to take an indy car, an f1 car, a nascar and finish second in the 24 hours of le mans.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: late 70s - early 00s

Post by Dave »

:whistling:
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

:roll: :roll: :haha: :haha: :haha: :roll: :roll: :roll: :rockedover: :rockedover:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Shameful really. He ruined the race for a couple of championship hopefulls. :roll: :angry:

sennadesillva
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by sennadesillva »

good race i love the track but stupid start i'd rather lose 5 spots on the opening lap than damage the car
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

JV didnt seem to care how many cars he wrecked in that, his first ever lap of V8 racing.. Cant believe he hasnt been reprimanded for it. When he went round at the hairpin and kept his foot flat to the floor, it looked like he was playing dodgem cars and aiming at other cars.

He wont make himself welcome with the locals if that is any indication of his talent and attitude..

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I think it's funny and brilliant :haha: What happened to JV in the race in the end?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Whats so funny about him having single handedly destroying the championship hopes of some of the top cars? And not been penalised.

How would you feel if you were racing your car and some alleged superstar came into your category for a one of weekend and destroyed your car and others through utter irresponsibility?

The saddest part of it all is the news in our papers today that Ford is trying and sign Jacques Villeneuve to race V8SC full-time :roll: :insulted: With a multi million $$$ offer.

That has to be up there with Ford allowing Vodafone 888 to split from them in favour of Holden for stupidity.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I think you're letting your dislike of Jacques cloud your judgement. He is a good driver and doesn't deserve your criticism IMO.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote:I think you're letting your dislike of Jacques cloud your judgement. He is a good driver and doesn't deserve your criticism IMO.
Whereas I would suggest that you are letting your love of JV cloud your judgement. His performance yesterday was irresponsible and mediocre at best.

Ford's decisions in this market have been appalling of late..... and this is just another example of their out of touch management. Of course letting the T888 Vodafone team, the clear benchmark team in V8SC, and who in reality have been the only Ford successes of the previous few years, leave the Ford camp because Ford felt that they (888) were good enough to fund their operation and maintain their benchmark status for Ford without the couple of million dollars funding Ford had previously provided.

Ford thought they would be able to ride on the back of T888 success for no support, watching them continue to rack up success for the Ford brand.. Of course it all got nasty when Ford withdrew their funding, with T888 removing all the Ford badges and replacing them with another sponsor's (pig) logo, and prompted the T888 defection to Holden (who just about knocked their door down with offers of Holden Factory support). Of course T888 have repaid the Holden investment many times over this year with their instant race winning pace. They have pretty well been the pace of the field despite starting from scratch with the car, and showed this with a 1-2 formation finish at Bathurst, the first factory 1-2 for a manufacturer since the HDT days of 1984.

Moving back to the JV proposal...... Ford, rather than trying to garner publicity through signing an overseas driver, an ex-champ who may well be past his use by date and with no recent form (at a mentioned cost of "millions of dollars" for Ford to find), an amount probably more than the amount Ford saved by dropping support for T888, Ford should be concentrating more on a strategy that will put them back to serious championship contenders (3 cars only currently in the top 10, 1 top 5 I think.) With DJR (their current most successful team) in all sorts of financial shit that will potentially see them fold shortly if you believe the papers and news.

Winning the Championship and concentrating on making Ford a serious threat again would give Ford far more coverage in the media and positive publicity than throwing money at a celebrity who will at best be mediocre with his results ever will..... JV has less of a profile here in Australia nowadays than any of the top touring car drivers here. They would do better backing a talented up and coming local driver and perhaps finding the next Lowndes Whincup etc. :wink:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

What position was Villeneuve in before the incident? 3rd place. Not bad for a first ever race in the category. I don't LOVE him, but I think people are being overly critical.