[BTCC & Supports] 2012 Discussion - BTCC 2012 is go!

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

[BTCC & Supports] 2012 Discussion - BTCC 2012 is go!

Post by Ian-S »

I couldn't find a thread so merge it if there is one, but ITV are increasing coverage this season to 6.5 hours of live coverage for each round:
ITV will increase its coverage of the British Touring Car Championship to over 120 hours this year.

Live coverage of the championship - plus support races - will again be screened on ITV4 with broadcasts being increased by 30 minutes to six and a half hours.

ITV4 will then show 90-minute highlight shows every Tuesday and Saturday after each round, while sister station ITV1 will screen the same show on Thursdays.

Digital station Men and Motors will broadcast a further 15 hours of BTCC coverage over the season.

“ITV’s increase in commitment to the BTCC for 2010 means yet more terrific news for all our teams, drivers, sponsors, circuits and fans,” said series director Alan Gow.
http://www.inracingnews.com/other-news/ ... -coverage/
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Clearly you didn't look hard enough Ian :tongue: :haha: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11029
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

duh delete this then :)
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Topics merged
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Triple Eight close to BTCC return

By Matt James Wednesday, February 3rd 2010, 11:13 GMT

Multiple championship-winning British Touring Car team Triple Eight Race Engineering is nearing a return to the series this season, following Vauxhall's withdrawal from the category last year.

The Northamptonshire-based team fielded Vauxhall's factory cars for 11 seasons and won a total of 14 drivers', manufacturers' and teams' crowns during that period. It was left without a deal when the Luton manufacturer quit the BTCC at the end of 2009.

Team boss Ian Harrison said he is confident of returning to the grid as a private operation this season and admitted he was close to concluding a deal with at least one driver to handle a Vauxhall Vectra fitted with the new two-litre turbocharged TOCA engine.

"We've got the Vectras here and it's a car we know from the ground up because we built it and we have the expertise to get the maximum from it," said Harrison. "We're talking to some serious parties about the 2010 programme already."

Italian Fabrizio Giovanardi took back-to-back titles with the Vauxhall Vectra in 2007 and 2008 and is currently without a drive for the forthcoming season.

Two other privately-run Vectras will appear on the 2010 grid in the hands of Andrew Jordan and David Pinkney.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Bamboo targets Turkington for WTCC

By Jamie O'Leary Thursday, February 4th 2010, 11:39 GMT

Bamboo Engineering has entered the race to sign Colin Turkington for its new World Touring Car Championship team, today's AUTOSPORT reveals.

The Silverstone-based squad announced today that it has left the British Touring Car Championship to step up to the WTCC with a pair of Chevrolet Lacettis for Harry Vaulkhard and two-time Porsche Carrera Cup Champion Darryl O'Young.

But team principal Richard Coleman is keen to add the BTCC champion to his roster of drivers and could expand the team to three cars to accommodate Turkington.

"We'd love to get him in the car," Coleman told AUTOSPORT. "He's a top-line driver and we've both got ambitions on an international scale.

"The drivers we have signed are very promising. Harry had the measure of Michel Nykjaer, Franz Engstler, and others at the ETCC so I see no reason why he cannot build on that.

"Darryl is a huge talent and has been very highly recommended from big names in sportscars, once adapted to front-wheel drive I expect he will be a regular podium contender in the independents."

Bamboo was formed last July by Coleman following his split from Tempus Sport. It ran Vaulkhard during the second half of the BTCC season and scored a best result of ninth place at Snetterton.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

TouringCarTimes.com wrote:Honda confirms Team Dynamics tie in

Honda UK have confirmed a marketing collaboration with Team Dynamics, with the 2005-2006 champions to run in a white livery inspired by the Japanese marques latest UK road car launch, the Civic Type-R Mugen 200.

The team will field two cars, though the drivers are yet to be announced. The worst kept secret though is that Matt Neal will quite likely be one of them.

By Neil Hudson Monday, 15 February 2010 18:25 CET

The new Team Dynamics Civic was testing last week at the hands of Matt Neal, son of team owner Steve Neal - and former Vauxhall driver.

The new Civic features design cues from the Type-R, such as the black front grill as opposed to the clear one seen in the last three seasons.

The tie-up with Honda will be beneficial for the team. Team Dynamics lacked a title sponsorship deal last year, after Halfords withdrew at the end of 2008. The team ran Dave Pinkney in one car, while a driver rotation took place for the second seat, between Gordon Shedden, 2002/2004 champion James Thompson and former Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert.

Johnny Herbert represented Team Dynamics along with Matt Neal at last months Autosport International show, and indicated he was still determined to race in the BTCC last year after just 'dipping his toes in' in 2009. Herbert could certainly be considered to be a prime candidate for the drive if the team can put together the right sponsorship package.
Hamster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Hamster »

Was an entertaining first round of BTCC action on the weekend. :)

Many changes in regard to teams and drivers - hope Geo's drive is a permanent one.

Some non-changes - Matt Neal punting others of the road springs to mind.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Hamster wrote:Was an entertaining first round of BTCC action on the weekend. :)

Many changes in regard to teams and drivers - hope Geo's drive is a permanent one.

Some non-changes - Matt Neal punting others of the road springs to mind.
Matt Neal was just being his typical over-ambitious self. His interview after he retired from race 3 reminded me why I don't like the guy anymore. He believes he is bigger than the BTCC and all the competitors within it. Plato on the other hand showed some dignity when he apologied to Neal after their race 2 incident, LIVE on TV!

3 good races I must say, and great to have Kane on the top step finally.
Hamster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Hamster »

Well said about Plato. I usually place him in the same basket with Neal but I was very impressed with his attitude in the ad hoc interview post race 2 - cup of tea and all. :mrgreen:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

RIP John B&Q
Autosport.com wrote:Former racer John Batchelor dies

By Jamie O'Leary Friday, April 16th 2010, 08:45 GMT

Former British Touring Car Championship driver and team boss John Batchelor has died aged 51 following an illness.

Batchelor, who successfully built up a janitorial cleaning supplies business in Lancashire, began racing in the Super Road Saloons Championship in 1999 and won the title in his debut season.

A move into the Ford Fiesta Championship brought him infamy as he changed his name to John Top Gear by deed poll in order to attract backing from the BBC television show.

He changed his name again the following year to John B&Q after securing sponsorship from the DIY retail giant. This enabled him to enter his squad in the short-lived BTCC Production class in 2001.

Batchelor finished 22nd in the championship that year in a Honda Accord, although his career was curtailed when he injured three vertebrae in a crash at Oulton Park the following season.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Wow hearing that name really takes me back. RIP Mr. B&Q
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Ditto, I remember hearing the name at Brands Hatch way back a long time ago.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Matski
Favourite Motorsport: BTCC & NASCAR
Favourite Racing Car: Pretty much anything by BMW!
Favourite Driver: Juan Montoya, Andy Priaulx
Favourite Circuit: The Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: BMW 525i Tourer

Post by Matski »

BTCC at 'the Rock' this weekend... I'm planning on going. Hoping the RWD Bimmers can get back on terms with Gio this weekend. Fingers crossed for Mat Jackson too....
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Are there any restrictions on the BMW for being rear wheel drive? I haven't followed BTCC for ages.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records