[WTCC/DTM/STCC/TTA & more] 2014 - Loeb for 2014 WTCC

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

kals wrote:Lopez was also signed as USF1's first driver for the 2010 season.
Aha..... now I remember..... he is (I guess) the one whose millions in sponsorship were taken and then swallowed up by a team that ultimately spent his first instalment on team set up / establishment costs, and when it all fell in a heap for USF1, Lopez's backers never got a refund despite never having driven a lap in the car. Although they did pay for the team to go out and buy the Brawn transporters and parts truck at great expense

USF1, the Team who were set up ostensibly with the objective of only using US drivers and certainly not any 'pay drivers'. Although they did later say that initially they might have to look at maybe one might be a 'Non US' drivers, as they would benefit from taking on a heavily experienced driver to help with developing the car quickly.

So the team ended up announcing their #1 driver would be an Argentine Pay Driver, fresh from Argentine Production car racing, who clinched the drive with the help of Carlos Reutemann and the Argentine Govt topping up his other sponsors .

When Perez got released from his USF1 contract after USF1 closed, he did not have enough $$$ left to outbid Chandok for a drive at HRT

His F1 experience? As mentioned by others in previous posts he was named as a Renault F1 tester in 2006 (part of the Renault juvenile programme from 2004 - 6), Lopez seemed to be 'used sparingly'. As said by others main testers at this time were Heiki Kaivlonen and Piquet Jnr. Lopez did get a crack at Jerez one day in September 2006 though....

Jose Maria Lopez tested in the second Renault and clocked the third-fastest time. The Argentinean spent the day working on general set-up, but also carried out an important brake development programme.

“We have enjoyed a good first day at the test,” explained Christian Silk, Renault’s chief test engineer. “We were expecting dirty track conditions that were changing all the way through the day, but this didn't prove to be the case. Conditions were good immediately which allowed us to make good progress with our tyre testing. Heikki and Jose both put in a good day's work."
Times from Jerez
1. Heikki Kovalainen, Renault (Michelin), 1:17.236
2. Anthony Davidson, Honda (Michelin), 1:17.499
3. Jose Maria Lopez, Renault (Michelin), 1:17.617
4. Rubens Barrichello, Honda (Michelin), 1:18.424
5. Robert Doornbos, Red Bull (Michelin), 1:19.527
6. Michael Ammermuller, Red Bull (Michelin), 1:19.614
Renault had a troubled day in Jerez. Although Giancarlo Fisichella was second quickest, his session was hampered by several mechanical problems with his R26. The Italian will be back for Friday’s session as stand-in for team mate Fernando Alonso, who sat out this week’s test after bruising his knee in Monza.

Another Renault absentee was Heikki Kovalainen. The Finn had fallen ill with a suspected stomach bug, so Wednesday runner Jose Maria Lopez made an unexpected return. The Argentinean test driver set the third-fastest time, despite completing only 19 laps.

“We must admit that this was a tough day for the team because of mechanical problems with the cars,” explained the team’s chief test engineer Christian Silk. “But the data we did manage to collect is interesting and will need to be completed tomorrow. The team did today a great job to optimize the running time as much as possible and that is a positive point.”

Unofficial Thursday times from Jerez
1. Rubens Barrichello, Honda (Michelin), 1:17.601
2. Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault (Michelin), 1:17.701
3. Jose Maria Lopez, Renault (Michelin), 1:18.071
4. James Rossiter, Honda (Michelin), 1:18.219
5. Robert Doornbos, Red Bull (Michelin), 1:18.325
6. Vitantonio Liuzzi, Red Bull (Michelin), 1:18.672

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Talking of WTTC it seems we are in for a bit of a shake up in 2015.

I was just reading in todays autosport about 'the WTTC replacement', TC3, of which I have never heard.
Here is what autosport was saying:
autosport (magazine) wrote:The new TC3 International touring car series looks set to replace the World Touring Car Championship in Macau in 2015.
A provisional calendar includes Formula 1 support slots inMalaysia, China and Singapore, and an unassigned November date.
AUTOSPORT understands that this will be Macau, with the WTCC set to end its 10-year run at the venue this month.
Further prestige slots for TC3, an initiative of former WTCC boss Marcello Lotti, include Monza, Sochiand ex-F1 venue Buenos Aires.
I found the TC3 website, here, but there is little there from a quick glance, other than it sees its position as an inexpensive WTTC Feeder series. (That seems to be trying to take over key WTTC events ie Macau and is to be an F1 GP support series, appearing on the card at selected GPs.). Oh yeah, it is headed by and the dreamchild of the fprmer boss of the WTTC.
TC3 Concept
Car sold at € 70,000/90,000 including engine
Affordable running costs
Production-based engine 2.0L Turbo - 300/300 Bhp
TC3 INTERNATIONAL SERIES UNVEILS 2015 PROVISIONAL CALENDAR

TC3 International Series has released details of its 2015 provisional calendar. It will consist of twelve race weekends, combining a mixture of well-known circuits with several new venues.

Highlights of the inaugural season will be the three events held within Formula One™ Grands Prix: Malaysia, China and Singapore. The series will visit some celebrated European racetracks such as Monza, Valencia, Algarve, Salzburgring and the brand new Sochi Autodrom.
Buenos Aires in Argentina will mark the first of two South American race weekends, with the series then crossing the Andes to bring the TC3 series to Chile at the new Autódromo Internacional Codegua.

Three events back in the Far East will complete the season, with Singapore being followed by a visit to the new Buriram International Circuit in Thailand, while the venue that will host the final race meeting will be announced in due course.

29 March - Sepang International Circuit, Malaysia
19 April - Shanghai International Circuit, China
3 May - Circuit de la Comunitat Valenciana Ricardo Tormo, Spain
10 May - Autódromo Internacional Algarve (Portimão), Portugal
24 May - Autodromo di Monza, Italy
31 May - Salzburgring, Austria
21 June - Sochi Autodrom, Russia
26 July - Autódromo Juan y Oscar Gálvez (Buenos Aires), Argentina
9 August - Autódromo Internacional Codegua, Chile
20 September - Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore
25 October - Buriram International Circuit, Thailand
TBA November - TBA
Autosport had the November date listed as Macau (To be confirmed)

Anyone know much about this series that to me seems to have slipped in under the radar?

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

TC3 is a new standalone series, not a replacement for WTCC.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

kals wrote:TC3 is a new standalone series, not a replacement for WTCC.
Yeah I put replacement in inverted commas..... realising it isnt an immediate replacement as such, but taking on the prime venues and the flagship end of year Macau meeting, not to mention being promoted and devised by the ex WTTC boss is to my thoughts a bit of a 'thin end of the wedge' so to speak. I suppose at the end of the day it does not have the FIA World Championship tag to it, for whatever that might be worth.

Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

The world championship is not worth as much as Macau, I think.

I heard the main idea behind TC3 would be to create a touring car equivalent of GT3, where you do not have a technical rulebook as such, just safety rules and then all cars would be performance balanced to make a level playing field. GT3 seems to work, so I don't see why this wouldn't be a succesful class.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Only major race left of the year seems to be the Sydney 500 V8 Supercar race 6-7 December. Boo!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Watch race 3 of Phillip Island if you haven't. Incredible stuff.

It saddens me that in a few years, V8SC will also be following the trend of pansy engines and maybe even hybrids or whatever else the manufacturers want to shove down the throat of motorsport in the name of relevance. Look, I get it. But win on Sunday, sell on Monday went out the window once what you drove on Mondays became boring, economic shitboxes. Racing should be be an escape from puny engines, hybrids, quiet diesels and all that dullness, not be more like it.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote:Only major race left of the year seems to be the Sydney 500 V8 Supercar race 6-7 December. Boo!
Formula E is in South America on December 13th if you follow that at all.
I watched this weekend's FE racing from Malaysia, because I could, and it was not as bad as I had anticipated.
(Once you get used to the race formats and pit strategies where they pit to change their odd-ish looking cars mid race.... oh yeah, plus you cant hear them at all, which is weird at first..)

A lot of named (ie failed / Ex) F1 drivers, and it was actually good to see the 'Trainmeister' (Jarno Trulli) up to his usual tricks. I will reserve judgement on quality of the racing, or if it is just another 'BORE-mula E (B.E.!!) but this is not the thread to go into any details.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

This thread is done for now so you can talk about it if you want. Converting cities into racing circuits, developing the technology, replicating it 40 times - the infrastructure sounds incredibly expensive. And with the use of second hand F1 drivers and the odd other famous name it's not much different to A1GP. Which I found to be a highly interesting series and it died an early death.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

JUst as we get used to the concept of V8SC being a less brand restrictive, with the original Holden and Ford concept widened with the involvement of MB, Volvo, Nissan, and allegedly a definite maybe is Lexus (aka Toyota), who have been involved in serious discussions, the thoughts of more multi manufacturer works teams certainly making it all the more interesting....

And then as had been likely, Ford have yesterday announced their total withdrawal from V8SC from the end of 2015.
It was no huge surprise to hear it, given the axing of the Falcon brand in Australia, and with it the end of local manufacture of all local Ford cars such as the Falcon, Fairmont etc, the locally offered Fords, were to be replaced by local assembly of Ford "world" cars.
As one would anticipate many thousands of jobs have been lost, given the manufacturing role in terms of complete cars being cut to simply the assembly of overseas designed and manufactured components.

The withdrawal of Ford includes all factory assistance to teams such as DJR (Penske?) and will cease, in some cases even the provision of parts and body panels 'favoured' Ford teams were given. Ford will be continuing to officially enter and support only the 4 FPR cars until the end of 2015, after which time FPR will have to think of their options for 2016 on.
Ford Australia will cut its involvement with the V8 Supercars Championship at the conclusion of the 2015 season.
Ford will support factory squad Ford Performance Racing in a reduced capacity next season before a complete withdrawal in 2016.
The news was flagged via an internal Ford email from president Bob Graziano today.
The official Ford Statement reads wrote:“As we continue to transform our business, we would like to share with you news that will break soon on decisions we are making to ensure a bright future for Ford Australia,” said Graziano.

“This afternoon, we will announce we will provide support to teams racing Ford Falcons in the 2015 V8 Supercars series but will not renew our sponsorships after the 2015 season.

“We are electing to invest our funds to continue expanding and refreshing our product lineup while delivering a leading consumer experience.

“You will hear much more about this investment at our “Go Further 2020: Experience the Future Today” event beginning next week.
“There has already been a lot of speculation and confusion about what this means for Ford going forward. Let me be clear about a few key points:

“Performance is part of our DNA, and will continue to be, as we increase our vehicle offerings and enthusiasts look for a wider range of performance models such as cars like Mustang, Fiesta ST and Focus ST.

“Ford is proud to launch the FG X Falcon, including building on our performance heritage by racing the new model in V8 Supercars in 2015.

“This decision is not a short-term plan as we transform our business.
“We are proud of the teams and our history in the series but have made this decision so we can move forward by focusing all of our attention on our great products and consumer experience.
Confirmation of the end of Ford’s V8 Supercars program follows months of speculation that the manufacturer was set to withdraw.
Ford currently only provides financial support to FPR, with fellow Falcon runners Dick Johnson Racing on a parts supply agreement.
Ford has assisted FPR in developing the new-for-2015 FG X bodywork package ahead of its debut in the 2015 V8 Supercars Championship.
Six Falcons are expected to take to the track next year, with FPR’s four entries joined by single cars from Super Black Racing and DJR Team Penske.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yes it was wet, very wet, at the V8SC Homebush Sydney Street circuit a week or so ago.... Pic below is Whincup splashing his way round after a mid race downpour.

The headline return of Ambrose was a fizzer as he struggled with brakes and underwhelmed in general.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I was quite shocked to read that Volvo have decided that they need to do a major update on their marketing strategies and the way they are spending their money. It seems that on a world wide basis Motor Racing is something Volvo will not be continuing. What surprises me is that they have announced that first programme to be affected is their participation in their own domestic STCC, of which they are contracted to only until the end of next year.

I find it a bit strange to say that motor racing is not doing the job it should.... I know here that the V8SC involvement has been hugely successful, and in a recent poll here V8 SC fans voted Volvo as pretty much the best looking and best presented cars on the grid.... They are within a handful of points or votes shy of RedBull, but comfortably ahead of all the other teams with 20.1% of trhe total vote going to Volvo and 20.2% to RBR Holden. Next up are HRT and FPR at just shy of 15%. Next, in 5th are Techno VIP (Van Giz) on 5%. In terms of favoured brand Volvo have been voted in just behind Holden with just a touch under 20% of the total vote. Vote, with their impending withdrawal from V8SC gaining them a large number of sympathy voters tying to sway Ford into changing their mind and not leaving, have over 30% of the total vote. Next in the vote is Nissan with less than 10%.

I think for GRM Volvo Polestar to have out polled other 'untouchables' such as RBR and HRT is an indication of their popularity. A bloody good effort. Results wise Volvo ended up the year with half a dozen race wins, and topped the pole position award equal with Whincup on 10 polls for the year. Bloody impressive for year 1 if you ask me.

They have without doubt saved the otherwise dying in the arse V8SC interest from all but the most ardent followers and fans. I have watched much more of the V8SC this year for no other reason than the Volvos, and to an extent the Mercedes as well.

Volvo have certainly come in from nothing, built and developed an engine and are competitive every where they go, despite no data for the cars. They have added so much to what was a diminishing series in popularity terms. It is no secret that V8SC crowds are shrinking, and despite Channel 7 not having bid to renew their TV rights, those for V8SC which are now shared between Foxtel (Cable) and TEN, who also have the GP and F1 coverage between them. The F1 is Im sure still only with TEN next seasaon, and shared after that (from 2016). The free to air F1 will, on TEN, have identical coverage to what they currently have the race and qualifying live on TEN and Foxtel, but cable will also be showing live coverage of the three practice sessions as well.

With TEN having regained the V8SC TV rights it opens up a few options for trhe V8's, who currently are on the F1 support, but only with non championship race because TEN have the TV rights to the f1 and Seven have the v8s, or they did have until last weekend's 2014 V8SC Finale. TEN would not allow Seven to film the V8SC, Seven have had the rights for Championship rounds only, and so Seven has refused it to be allowed to make the race championship status so not the GP Supports. or even bring their cameras near the place. Next year of course with TEN having the rights for F1 and V8 it could mean that a Championship round at the GP was possible given Ten can legally cover all the races.

The funny thing is that Seven did not even bother to bid for the V8SC, leaving the door open for TEN ..... Amusingly, Seven have taken out exclusive TV rights for the GT cars running at the Bathurst 12 hour... so Seven are broadcasting the entire 12 hour race live, from start to finish. (The longest ever non stop / uninterrupted single sports broadcast in Australia)
VOLVO MARKETING BOSS DENOUNCES MOTORSPORT
Tuesday 16th December, 2014
Volvo’s global marketing boss has declared that ‘motorsport does not conform with our brand’ amid a public roll-out of the company’s future marketing activities.
Volvo has announced a new global marketing strategy that will see a dramatic reshaping of its current promotional structure.
The company is set to cut back its spend on advertising, sponsorships and motorshows in favour of a digital sales push that it says fits with the trend for consumers to buy products online.
Vice-president of global marketing, Alain Visser has told Swedish media that the company’s racing programs are on the chopping block as part of the change, starting with its long-running Scandinavian Touring Car Championship efforts.
“Motorsport does not conform with our brand, where we stand for smaller engines and safety,” Visser said, according to website Touring Car Times.
“We are therefore pulling out of STCC for example as soon as the contracts permits.”
While Volvo’s STCC contract has only 12 months remaining, Volvo Car Australia’s current deal with Garry Rogers Motorsport continues through to the end of 2016.
Volvo’s performance partner Polestar has confirmed that it is yet to evaluate its position beyond 2016, which coincides with V8 Supercars’ Gen2 rule package, which would allow a move to smaller, more fuel efficient engines.
Volvo’s V8 Supercars program’s architect, Matt Braid, departed his position as VCA MD suddenly in October, ending hopes that the company’s racing effort would be expanded.
Although the outlay on V8 Supercars has appeared high considering Volvo’s small foothold in the Australian market, Braid’s replacement Kevin McCann was quick to publicly back the program upon taking the role.
“I have inherited it and it is a package that is already existing and working and the feedback that I am getting is it is working very well,” he told the V8 Supercars website.
“I think we will continue to look for more and better leverage points to make sure of it.
“I think it is a great way to showcase our product and technology, it is a really wonderful rallying point for our staff and our dealer network, who need the motivation and enthusiasm to continue to work the market.”
@ Jacob.... Being from the Sweden, the chances of this news being more of a high profile issue than for particularly us at the far end of the planet. So, have you heard more about this, lets call it an 'alleged report' of Volvo getting out of Motor Racing (as a works assisted promotion of the brand)? Starting with Swedish Touring Cars? Hopefully it wont have any substance. From a local pov the Volvo management have no doubt their motor racing, V8SC) involvement has made a huge difference to the awareness of the brand, with most locals until this year still thinking of a Volvo as something used only by tree-hugging vegetarian accountants or similar.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It makes some sense as they don't need to beat the drum in their own country as no one outside cares about the STCC (I assume).

But I read a comment in one of the articles from a Polestar rep who said although they're pulling out of STCC and whatever else, they're selling too many S60's in Australia to pull out of V8SC.

I can't remember but wasn't there another manufacturer supposed to enter V8SC? I think I remember seeing a car all liveried up and ready. Was it Chrysler?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SB83 wrote:.
I can't remember but wasn't there another manufacturer supposed to enter V8SC? I think I remember seeing a car all liveried up and ready. Was it Chrysler?
There has been a lot of rumour and talk regarding several manufacturers.... first there was Mitsubishi, who actually went to the trouble of making up a V8 powered whatever the car model was, and ran it on track in some tests, and maybe a Bathurst 12 hour in the early days. I think it came down to their market share at the time was only about 5% in Aus, and was never going to justify the investment required for a V8SC programme. Then they closed down all manufacturing in Australia and that V8 idea fizzled out.

Toyota have also been an ongoing rumour, and it has certainly been discussed, but I think that Toyota no longer manufacturing over here (but still doing assembly of imported components) However Lexus have been involved in very recent discussions apparently.... that seems to not only be their sporting brand here now but also have V8 powered cars in their range. Toyota seem to have done ok in the market without any racing programme, easily outselling both Holden and Ford in Australia. Ford are barely hanging on to third in the market share

I knew I had piccies of the Mitsubishi V8 Future Tourer, and I found them, so have displayed them below. It was built c 2002 by Sydney car preparer Peter Muir, and is basically a Magna (future tourer) It is prepared to TEGA regs - 5.0-litre V8, rear-wheel drive, double wishbone front-end and live rear axle. It is pictured here running at the 24 hour Bathurst race (as opposed to the 12 hour I initially said it appeared of that year,.

Click for larger. Image

In terms of European brands BMW came VERY close to joining up with an announcement at the start of the season that they already had enough in the way of race programmes around the globe to enter V8SC. Mercedes arrived after a fashion with the Mercedes Erebus entries, which have never been works entered despite being helped out with some parts and panels etc. Erebus Team owner Betty (Saunders-)Klimenco, the colourful, eccentric, tattooed blue and pink haired girl born dependent on drugs and soon to be abandoned to an orphanage, was the daughter of a junkie hooker, who was to get adopted by a holocaust surviving, one time penniless immigrant Hungarian Jew refugee, who arrived in Australia with $20.... A few years later in 1958, Saunders set up Westfield with another immigrant. Westfield was the start of the Australian Shopping centre or mall, and is now the largest owner in the world, with well over 100 shopping centres in Europe, the US, Australia and New Zealand. When John Saunders died he had become a multi billionaire. The company now has assets under management in excess of $63 billion.

Sadly but interestingly, Betty was conceived in Cell No.3 at Kings Cross police station, where her drug addicted prostitute mother was being held (and yes, her biological father was the arresting police officer :omg: :annoyed: ) has, following a lack of any real factory support, funded the team from her own personal finances, spending $40 million last year of her personal money provided from the family trust following the death of billionaire Stepfather John Saunders. However in a style that reminds me of Lord Hesketh, it seems she has milked her own finances into her team to the point of now being on the way to being broke, so hopefully they can find some decent sponsors over the season break, to save the team which went from three cars in 2013 to two in 2014.

Grandmother and Erebus Racing owner Betty Klimenko celebrates emotionally with her driver, Lee Holdsworth after scoring the team's maiden win earlier in the season (2014) at Winton.

This year, with no one of note stepping up to the plate with sponsorship she was forced to sell off her 4 or 5 properties, and take out a personal loan for a further $10 million purely to fund the sponsor lacking team for the balance of this season just finished. Walkinshaw Racing pinched the one sponsor she did have, HHA, to fund and run Nick Percats car this year. For next year though, there is going to be a reduction of even the minimal current Mercedes factory assistance they received.... the local branch of Mercedes and AMG have said categorically that V8SC is not of any interest to them as it is basically followed by fans who are 'bogans' and others far from their middle aged exec type target. I wish Betty the best for the future, a future that may well not be with Mercedes badged cars.....

Anyway I digress, having got sidetracked by Betty (but I thought her story is interesting and one not all would have known) So back to more on the expansion or future of V8SC

Nissan of course returned a couple of years ago with a V8 powered Maxima, run by the Kelly brothers with decent levels of backing from Nissan, Jack Daniels, and Norton AV / Symantec. Of course with Ford no longer manufacturing cars for the local market from the end of next year, and having announced their withdrawal from V8SC racing in reality for 2016, will leave a gap

Hyundai, now allegedly the Worlds fastest growing car manufacturer, have been mentioned in line with their launching of their V8 engined Genesis.

Of course the overall V8SC concept and regs are in for a massive change at the end of 2016, when the formula and make up of the cars will go from 5 litre V8s with 4 door bodies to a less restrictive format that will allow 2 door cars, and engines from 4 & 5 cylinder turbos and non turbo V8's
Gen2 Supercar opens the sport to new engine and body configurations, alongside V8 engines

- Increased relevance to manufacturers, race fans, teams and sponsors
- DNA remains front engine, rear wheel drive, four seat configuration
- V8 Supercars reveals refreshed master brand as the sports’ identity from 2015.

V8 Supercars has set out the next phase of growth for the sport, with the release of details contained in the 2017 White Paper. This next phase is designed to allow for the possibility of a greater range of brands and models from 2017.

The first phase opened the garage to the cars we see today. Five manufacturers now feature on the grid – Erebus Motorsport with their customer AMG E63 program, Ford, Holden, Nissan and Volvo – with all makes tasting success with race victories, pole positions and podiums.

The Gen2 Supercar is the next stage of the CotF
The V8 Supercars’ Board unanimously approved the blueprint, to be introduced at the start of the 2017 season, which opens the way for additional engine and body configurations to compete alongside current V8 engines and four door sedans.

The 2017 blueprint means the current V8 Supercars could be joined by turbo-charged six or four cylinder engines from 2017.
The Gen2 Supercar model is designed to be more relevant to more manufacturers, race teams, sponsors and fans while continuing V8 Supercars’ promise of providing fans with the ultimate in high octane entertainment.

The top-line guidelines dictate that the car must be publicly available for sale in Australia, is front engine, right hand drive and a full four-seat configuration. The race car must be rear wheel drive and accurately reflect the look of the road car, retaining the essential DNA of the sport. All cars will use the existing Car of the Future chassis and control components, and be subject to engine and aero parity rules.

In 12 months of planning, V8 Supercars consulted with the major manufacturers, participating and otherwise, race teams, sponsors, stakeholders and fans in the process of developing the 2017 direction.

In the next 12 months two working groups – one focussing on engine configuration and the other body configuration – will draft technical specifications and rules to ensure parity across the field, and in turn the highly competitive racing the sport enjoys. The rules will ensure no engine or body configuration has any advantage or disadvantage over another.
Re Chrysler not sure I had heard of that name in terms of entering the racing side of V8s, although they have supplied a number of the Chrysler 300 to use as Safety Cars in the V8SC over the years.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

A bit more info on our new car sales market that will shock many..... Ford and Holden at one time accounted for about 70% of the market (in volume terms) A very different tale nowadays, with Ford now a lowly 5th, behind Toyota, (now in their 11th consecutive year of being market leader) secpnd placed Holden, Mazda in third, and Hyundai fourth.....

Toyota so dominant that their sales year to date are higher than both Ford and Holden combined. Holden is currently 0.8% YTD ahead of Mazda and Hyundai, but a comeback this month saw them up to second having been behind both Mazda and Hyundai and down in 4th place earlier in 2014.

Top 10 Best-selling Brands – Australia - 2014 to date

Brand - Market share %
Toyota – 18.2%
Holden – 10.1%
Mazda – 9.3%
Hyundai – 9.2%
Ford – 7.4%
Nissan – 5.9%
Mitsubishi – 5.8%
Volkswagen – 4.9%
Subaru – 3.5%
Honda – 2.5%
Others 23.2%

Ford have only one model of car in the top 10, and that is not even a car but the Ford Ranger 4x4 Ute

Todays bit of useless information is that Australia is “the most volatile and competitive new car sales market anywhere in the world”, with 65 different brands competing for just 1.1 million new car sales annually. Compared to say North America, where only 53 brands are available, competing for a market size of 15.6 million annual new car sales. :wink:

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Is that for new car sales?

I'm surprised to see Volkswagen that high up.