kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

[WTCC/DTM/STCC/TTA & more] 2014 - Loeb for 2014 WTCC

Post by kals »

Zanardi is a hero and an inspiration for us all. He is one of the reasons why I watch WTCC.
Autosport.com wrote:Zanardi retires from WTCC

By Steven English Thursday, November 26th 2009, 11:17 GMT

Alex Zanardi has retired from the World Touring Car Championship.

The 43-year-old Italian has raced a ROAL-run BMW since 2005 and taken four race wins. While he will not race in the WTCC again, he has not ruled out competing in a different series.

"I will not be back in the WTCC," Zanardi told AUTOSPORT. "It's a shame, but when one door closes a bigger one may open. It can be cool to move when there are new challenges, but there aren't any yet."

Zanardi won two CART titles in the late nineties and started 41 grands prix for Jordan, Minardi, Lotus and Williams, but has raced touring cars since a huge ChampCar accident at Lausitz in 2001 left him needing prosthetic legs.

Zanardi said earlier this year that he would like to compete in wheelchair sports at the 2012 Paralympic Games in London.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Whatever series Zanardi wants to compete in, someone is going to have to spend a lot of money adapting a car with hand controls for him to drive. So it might be a while before he gets on-track again.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

the problem of Zanardi is serious and he can't match the escape times in case of accident as regulated by FIA.
His results in WTCC are astonishing, consider he has to brake with legs! Zanardi is one of the greatest champion of motorsport and for this he must be honoured. I rarely saw a driver with his balls.

Gabriele Tarquini has won the 2009 title but noboy in Italy has payed hommage. Imagine that corriere della Sera dedicated a whole page to Valentino Rossi driving at Vallelunga 6 hours without mention for the new world champion from Italy
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Tarquini's win in WTCC is overshadowed by two things. The first is the issues with SEAT and the way they have gone about their WTCC programme over the past years. Constant complaints to the FIA about BMW's pace advantages even though they couldn't build a decent car. Then when they brought out the turbo diesel and had a clear and unfair advantage, they still moaned. The second issue is Gabriele's driving standards which are very poor. He has been very dirty over the past few years and got away with it. For instance I was astonished at his desperartion to get past Yvan Muller at Imola, he almost punted Yvan off a couple of times.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Zanardi is a true hero. Always sympathetic and always dramatic. I can't pick my favorite Zanardi moment since there are so many; The Pass at Laguna Seca, winning at Cleveland after that drive thru penalty, dominating the Michigan 500, punting off Brian Herta half a dozen times, winning at Long Beach despite being involved in a wreck and losing a lap, and of course his comeback race at Monza and his first WTCC win at Oschersleben. The man is just awesome.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Coulthard in line for DTM drive

By Ben Anderson Thursday, February 18th 2010, 11:26 GMT

Thirteen-time grand prix winner David Coulthard could be heading for a race seat in the DTM after sampling a Mercedes C-Class for the first time at Monteblanco in Spain last week.

The Scottish BBC1 Formula 1 pundit, who has been a Mercedes ambassador since the end of a 10-year spell racing for McLaren in F1, tested for two days alongside regular drivers Paul di Resta, Gary Paffett and Bruno Spengler.

The 38-year-old Scot retired from F1 at the end of the 2008 season, but has made no secret of his interest in racing elsewhere in the future and AUTOSPORT understands Mercedes is considering offering Coulthard a drive in the series in a 2008-spec car.

"The reason for the test was curiosity and fun," Coulthard told AUTOSPORT. "My relationship with [Mercedes Motorsport boss] Norbert Haug allowed it to happen.

"I've definitely got the taste for having another go, but it's too early to say."

Former grand prix winners Mika Hakkinen, Jean Alesi and Heinz-Harald Frentzen raced in the DTM after their F1 careers were over, while Ralf Schumacher is currently driving for Mercedes in the series.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

By the way, you can take the ? off of DC to DTM in the thread title now.... its confirmed he will drive for Mercedes in DTM in a Mucke car....

Coulthard seals Mercedes DTM drive

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Done :thumbsup:

DC was quick in testing recently, but I'm not sure what that says a Ralf was also quick. Fingers crossed he'll have a good season. I don't think there will be the same expectation on him that was put on Ralf back in 2008.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I would say 1994 to 1998 were by far the best years for the BTCC :bye:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:BMW working on 2012 DTM return

By Matt Beer Thursday, April 29th 2010, 09:36 GMT

BMW has moved closer to returning to the DTM after an absence of two decades, but it will not join up until 2012 at the earliest.

The German manufacturer has announced that it is beginning work on a DTM car with a view to entering the championship in two years' time provided "certain basic requirements" proposed by its board are met by DTM organiser ITR.

"The planned return to the DTM is an exciting challenge for our team," said BMW motorsport boss Mario Theissen.

"Over the coming months we will be making all the necessary technical preparations that should allow us to be competitive right from the start should we join the series in 2012."

BMW last raced in the DTM in 1992. It is restructuring its motorsport programmes in the wake of its Formula 1 pull-out last year.

This season the company is racing primarily in the World Touring Car Championship and GT racing. It has confirmed that the M3 GT2 will continue racing through 2011 at least, but has yet to decide its long-term future in the WTCC - although it is working on a replacement for its current S2000 touring car.

"For 2011, BMW is developing a 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo engine with direct injection that can be used in championships in accordance with the new Super2000 regulations
- such as the FIA World Touring Car Championship," said a BMW statement.

"A new racing car is being developed as a successor to the current BMW 320si for the coming years. How the BMW involvement in the World Touring Car Championship will look beyond the 2010 season will be decided over the course of the year."

BMW has been involved in the shaping of the next generation DTM technical regulations since August last year, when it formed a Technical Working Group with Audi and Mercedes to come up with the specs of the car.

AUTOSPORT understands that the German governing body, the DMSB, is keen for the new regulations to be introduced for 2011.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

WTF? Half Schumacher is on pole at Norisring. What the hell is going on in the world? Now no doubt pig can fly and some bloke from America has won the Women's final at Wimbledon. Again!
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Enjoyable race going on at the moment at Brands in the WTCC.
Turkington is making one of (IIRC) three WTCC appearances this year, he is currently in 4th in his BMW. Daewoo 1-2-3 but I think Turkington could grab a podium here. Talented driver.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Both WTCC race at Brands Hatch were entertaining. It was great to see Turks back in action and at the front of the field. Despite only competing in the last 4 WTCC races, the rounds at Portimao and Brands Hatch, he has leapt to second in the Independants points rankings.
jpalesi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jpalesi »

Although his car was lighter (which caused some controversy), he did those results with his 2007 car !
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Yeah I read about that. But other people have that available to them. That 2007 car is the only car Dick Bennetts and WSR had available to use.