2022 Supercars and Supports

WTCC, BTCC, DTM and Aussie V8s
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Here we go again.....

Boost announces Supercars exit

Boost Mobile boss Peter Adderton says his company will withdraw its Supercars backing at the end of the current season. :yawn:

It seems its all over a Supercars chief being in a photo with Mostert at an Optus (Telecom co) function. Optus sponsor Mostert's car at WAU, but Adderton has cracked it because he, through his Boost Mobile Telecomms business actually is a Supercars sponsor separate to his Erebus sponsorship.

The bloke is a petulant publicity seeking twat., Yes he spends lots of money on motor racing but he is such a drama queen.

We all remember how he threatened to walk away from Supercars and with it broke his GRM backing leaving them in the lurch and to close down. He was done with Supercars and they were all morons etc with no clue.
And then reappeared the next year with another programme
Adderton took to social media today to announce the impending end to all of the brand's "investments, sponsorships and commitments" relating to Supercars.

As it stands Boost Mobile is the naming rights backer of the Erebus Motorsport squad and the Gold Coast 500 event, as well as having a telco deal with Supercars itself.

It is also backing a third Erebus car for the Bathurst 1000 for Greg Murphy and Richie Stanaway.

"We will finish out the year of all our [Supercars] investments, sponsorships and commitments as per our agreements and then take a break from Supercars," Adderton wrote.

"I will not be commenting, [taking] calls or interviews related to anything related to the Supercars owners' directions.

"I wish the teams and the drivers well for the future. I want to thank the fans for being the best fans in any sport. Supercars [is] lucky to have you so let's have a blast and go out with a bang.

Adderton was part of an unsuccessful bid to purchase Supercars from Archer Capital last year, which was beaten by the RACE consortium.

Since then Adderton has been publicly critical of RACE at times, particularly recently as details of a foreign takeover bid came to light.

The first indication that he may pull his backing, or at least threaten to, came last night when he blasted Supercars chairman Barclay Nettlefold for appearing in a photo with driver Chaz Mostert at an Optus appearance.

"I have no issues with [Walkinshaw Andretti United] and Optus sponsorship but when RACE officials, who have an exclusive agreement with [Boost Mobile], show such disrespect... would they go and visit and photograph themselves in a [Supercheap Auto] store?" he wrote.

"This will cost you [Supercars]."
https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/ ... /10345491/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Onboard crash / incident warning system flawed

Needless to say much of the post race discussion has been about the race #22 start line crash where front row man Randle stalled and. was hit hard from behind by a blindsided Andre Heimgartner starting from 5 rows back. Fortunately both drivers escped serious injury but both ended up in hospital for precautionary scans and monitoring. The cars were not so fortunate and both cars are likely written off according to initial team reports

The V8SC have an onboard warning system to warn drivers of incidents on track..... The main discussion today from some of the drivers was them saying the system is flawed, and reporting their dash warning lights did not come on in time to prevent Heimgartner hitting Randle. SVG and Brodie K who were both in the first rows and with the benefit of clear vision avoided any impact both said the warning lights did not flash on their dash until they approached T2. Not acceptable. By then the crash had long happened.They are suggesting that in such cases the old fashioned flag system is preferable. I'm not sure that is the answer....

In the video below in the slow mo and alternative angles (overhead) you can clearly see the marshall's waving flags the split second Randle stalled, before other cars were near. The problem is obviously at the start the drivers are 110% focussed on the track before, looking for their optimum pathway. The flags are being waved behind the barriers as some are saying is the fix.

It. isnt. To me the only answer would be for circuits to have a large and visible overhead gantry live F1 do. The V8 start lights are a small two. light display that is fine when the drivers are focussed on it for the start signal, but too obscure and insignificant once they are moving. A big yellow in your face(preferably red) flashing strip more in the drivers view might be the best option. Something more in their line of sight at the time when their focus is ahead. Additionally why are the teams not immediately on seeing Randle stall shout Abort to their drivers. From the organisers / Stewards POV it must be clear to them that a car stalling at. the start in the front half of the grid is 100% immediate aborted start, no exceptions. The only way any light system will work.

Anyway the video that shows the issues mentioned.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The Adelaide 500 was launched today. It's been confirmed that Super2/3, S5000, GTWC Australia and TCM will be the support categories. Outside of the racing they've got a number of bands performing including the Killers.

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/ ... /10347448/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 1 year ago The Adelaide 500 was launched today. It's been confirmed that Super2/3, S5000, GTWC Australia and TCM will be the support categories. Outside of the racing they've got a number of bands performing including the Killers.

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/ ... /10347448/
Ticket prices look good value..... 4 day ticket for $189. Something about ticket prices pegged at 2012 levels in the article linked..

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Tom Randle has been confirmed as Tickford's fourth driver for next year. Tickford has said they'll lend out Zak Best if there's interest.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/08/11/ra ... rs-season/

Jaylyn Robotham (with Matt Chahda) and Cameron Hill (with Chris Pither) will be making their 1000 debuts this year.

Jack Perkins will be running a livery celebrating the 40th anniversary of his dad's first win at Bathurst in the Sandown Super2/3 round next week.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Another bloody name change for Wanneroo, Barbagello

The new name is of course. a commercial arrangement and will likely change again in 3 years. Oh yeah and they have now got a name that rolls off the tongue. NOT.

Yes, it i now to be known as CARCO.COM.AU RACEWAY PERTH. :nuts: :annoyed:
Money makes the world go round.

The naming rights deal means that on the tickets, programmes, and of course what the comms will be using. Thanks to a deal between the WA Sporting Car Club (WASCC) and Carco.com.au, and runs to November 30, 2025. :tearful: :sick:

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Is that HTTP or HTTPS?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago Is that HTTP or HTTPS?
:haha:
Dont give them ideas! :tearful: :sick:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just a heads up that it is Sandown this weekend for a three day meeting (V8 Practice today) (@Vassago@Cheeveer @erwin greven

Full event guide: https://media4.speedcafe.com/wp-content ... n-2022.pdf

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Well, that was a bit surreal and caught me out..... thouought we had gone into some replays on the coverage from Sandown

Lownedes Tander and particularly Whincup's name on the time sheets was more than strange. No it wasnt old race reruns but just that P2 today is a half hour hit out for Enduro co-drivers.

Not sure why but Lowndes is not in his #888 widlcard T8 car but in Jack Smiths SGT #34 BJR car. I have a feeling it is today with a TV segment but not 100%. Anyway Tander and Whincup lead the times for P2.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I must admit seeing as Sandown is only 15 minutes down the road and the fact today has been sunnny and clear I thought we were looking at a dry weekend.

Apparently not just seen the forecast amd rain is forecast from 8pm this evening and continuing tomorrow where rain is said to be 80% likelyespecially morning / pre-lunch.

Sunday is forecast dry though

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Oh and Whincup topped the co-driver session.

(Just to make sure you realise this is not a Sandown Enduro round ie the 500... sadly that race's days are gone, for the time being anyway. No the additional drivers session is purely a cobweb clearing session for those non main stream drivers running at Bathurst

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Here are the P1 times just for reference.

Results: Practice 1

Pos Num Team/Sponsor Driver Car Fastest lap Split
1 17 Shell V-Power Racing Team Will Davison Ford Mustang GT 1:07.8087
2 25 Mobil 1 Optus Racing Chaz Mostert Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.0270 0:00.2183
3 11 Shell V-Power Racing Team Anton De Pasquale Ford Mustang GT 1:08.0527 0:00.2440
4 18 IRWIN Racing Mark Winterbottom Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.0639 0:00.2552
5 97 Red Bull Ampol Racing Shane van Gisbergen Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.1469 0:00.3382
6 99 Boost Mobile Racing by Erebus Brodie Kostecki Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.1750 0:00.3663
7 26 Penrite Racing David Reynolds Ford Mustang GT 1:08.1952 0:00.3865
8 9 Boost Mobile Racing by Erebus William Brown Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.2594 0:00.4507
9 96 Brad Jones Racing Macauley Jones Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.2643 0:00.4556
10 22 PremiAir Coca Cola Racing Chris Pither Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.3184 0:00.5097
11 3 CoolDrive Auto Parts Tim Slade Ford Mustang GT 1:08.3502 0:00.5415
12 20 Nulon Racing Scott Pye Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.3658 0:00.5571
13 35 Truck Assist Racing Todd Hazelwood Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.4617 0:00.6530
14 88 Red Bull Ampol Racing Broc Feeney Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.4679 0:00.6592
15 34 Truck Assist Racing Jack Le Brocq Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.4745 0:00.6658
16 8 R&J Batteries Racing Andre Heimgartner Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.4754 0:00.6667
17 6 Monster Energy Racing Cameron Waters Ford Mustang GT 1:08.4898 0:00.6811
18 500 Penrite Racing Lee Holdsworth Ford Mustang GT 1:08.5771 0:00.7684
19 31 Subway PremiAir Racing James Golding Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.6047 0:00.7960
20 2 Mobil 1 NTI Racing Nick Percat Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.6124 0:00.8037
21 14 Middy’s Electrical Racing Bryce Fullwood Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.7127 0:00.9040
22 5 Snowy River Racing James Courtney Ford Mustang GT 1:08.7283 0:00.9196
23 56 Tradie Racing Jake Kostecki Ford Mustang GT 1:08.7461 0:00.9374
24 55 Castrol Racing Thomas Randle Ford Mustang GT 1:08.8025 0:00.9938
25 4 SCT Logistics Racing Jack Smith Holden Commodore ZB 1:09.1547 0:01.3460

Interestingly and to me at least an indicator that Feeney has an awful lot still to learn and may noit be the packge he was believed to be are in the times. You will see I highlighted Feeney's P1 time above.

Below is Whincup's time in his co driver session. Remember this today is the first time Whincup has even sat in a car since he walked away to take the TP role at T8 near enough a year ago. Remember also it is the identical (ie the same) car.
It is actually Whincups car that he ended up with last year albeit now 'ergonomically' adapted to suit Feeney's preferences and used by Feeney all year..

Results: Practice 2

Pos Num Team/Sponsor Driver Car Fastest lap Split
1 88 Red Bull Ampol Racing Jamie Whincup Holden Commodore ZB 1:08.2309

JW's time in Feeney's car would have been enough to put the #88 8th in the session.
Feeney managed just 14th.

He needs to pull his socks up. I know it is hard to be exact given the different track conditions rubber etc but track temps were cooler for Whincup than Feeney. Feeney was the only main driver not to beat their co driver's time.
He was barely quicker than Tander in SVGs car.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I posted this in the Masi thread but more relevant here as it directly impacts V8SC

Former Formula 1 race director Michael Masi is set to become the new Chairman of the Supercars Commission in Australia.

Masi is in line to replace outgoing Supercars Commission Chairman Neil Crompton who parted ways with the decision-making panel at the end of June.

It appears Crompton's exit was directly related to this plan to bring Masi into the Commission fold. (Crompton is currently facing a Prostrate Cancer battle)

Should it happen, it will be Masi's first role since his split with the FIA following the controversial finale to the 2021 Formula 1 season in Abu Dhabi.

According to multiple sources, Supercars is in the process of having Masi's appointment approved by the team owners at Sandown this weekend.

Bit of a full circle really as MM first made a name for himself as an administrator in Supercars, holding the deputy race director role with Motorsport Australia before moving to the FIA in 2018 as F1 race director Charlie Whiting’s deputy.

He was then thrust into the race director role due to Whiting's tragic passing in the lead-up to the 2019 Australian Grand Prix.
We all know how that role ended.....

Welcome back Michael and all the best for the future. No Toxic Totos here. :haha:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

OK re Masi he seems to have done an Oscar and released an Oh no im not......

Full Story : viewtopic.php?p=433850#p433850

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

OK well the threat o overnight and morning raon I predicted happened but has now it seems blown through. Im just down the road andd its clear.....

We have had a wet P3 and are just heading into qualifying for todays race. Track is dry but it will be a nightmare anywhere near the the track perimeters. If you go off track too far you wont be getting back on in a hurry!

Waters masters slippery Sandown in Practice 3

Times were starting to plummet at the end as track conditions improved
Mostert finished 2nd, Brown 3rd.

Qualy will be a traditional Q1 Q2 followed by a top 10 shootout.