Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Percat has confirmed he's quitting BJR
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

And on the in tray at BJR, Heimgartner is confirmed to be joining.

Although finer details have not been revealed by the team, it is believed Andre has been signed on a multi-year arrangement.

In a press release from the team, Brad Jones said Heimgartner had signed for 2022 “and beyond”,

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Smith confirms his family REC is staying with BJR for 2022

Confirmed today is that Jack Smith will continue to run his family owned REC out of BJR.... no real surprises there and its a financially good thing for BJR.

However there are deadlines in place for future success.... not so much on BJR, more on Jack himself. Peter (father of Jack) Smith has said his son Jack must start peaking in Supercars by his mid-20s if he’s to continue competing in the championship.

His father is committed to backing Smith’s journey for years to come through his SCT Logistics business – but that support won’t last forever without signs of further progress. (As an aside Smith was also part of one of the consortiums that were bidding to buy the Supercars brand / business.

“I’d support him forever but it’s no good supporting something that’s not going to happen,” :whistling:

“If he doesn’t have the ability to do it, you’re not going to be there forever, are you?
“But he has been really putting in over the last six months and has been down in Victoria and training and being close to the team, so that’s definitely helping him, there’s no doubt about that.

“He’s had a couple of good qualifying sessions this year and his race pace is strong.

“So we’ll be in it for four or five years at least because most drivers seem to really hit their straps in their mid-20s.

“If he’s not peaking by then, then it might be time for something different.”

In other Silly Season stuff still no official confirmation on where Nick Percat moves on to..... all we know he has quit BJR but as stated last week it is likely to be Walkinshaw Andretti United he moves to alongside Mostert, in place of Fullwood..

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bathurst 1000 6 day Festival confirmed for early December.

The covid delayed and postponed '1000' has now been confirmed for November 30th through to December 5th for the big race day and will take the form of a Festival of Motorsport..

The Festival idea comes about with the getting together of Supercars categories and the ARG (Australian Racing Group) to put on a massive 6 day Festival of Motorsport.... an impressive array with ARG’s full suite of categories being brought onto the 1000 undercard.

Thus joining the Supercars 1000 on the schedule will be the Super2 Series, Porsche Carrera Cup Australia, TCR Australia, S5000, Touring Car Masters, GT World Challenge Australia, V8 SuperUtes, National Trans Am Series, and the Toyota Gazoo Racing 86 Series. Really looking forward to seeing the S5000 up there :thumbsup:

It’s anticipated fans will be able to attend the event in person, the main reason for the recent cancellations. By December our all important for normal life to resume vax rate will be hopefully c 80%.

The 161-lap 1000 will mark the finale of the 2021 Supercars Championship meaning we will have started and finished the year at Bathurst.(The season opened with the 500k Sprint format round).

Before then the Supercars season is still to be confirmed following cancellation of Winton (not officially cancelled yet but will be) Phillip Island and Surfers but talk is of double-headers at Queensland Raceway and Sydney Motorsport Park before Bathurst.

Other news on the event

Talk of the race starting later in the day for a dusk finish.

Both FTA and Foxtel TV companies covering the event are looking at the event starting at midday to give them a prime (ie ratings grabbing) time finish of maybe 7:00pm local time, given the December date comes with a later sunset than normal. Be much better for our Euro fans to follow the race also, I imagine.

Of course the finish time depends on SC interventions.... we started at 11:30am in 2019 and the race was over by 6:15, but that had few interruptions. Sunset in early December at Bathurst is c. 8:00pm

Watch this space as they say

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

So when will be the next round held anyway? Anything on the October 24th weekend or just a mad scramble to fit anything in November?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago So when will be the next round held anyway? Anything on the October 24th weekend or just a mad scramble to fit anything in November?
Technically I think the Winton on the first weekend in October has not been cancelled.... it is hanging on to the thread that the Vic Govt has offered in that if our (Vic) vax rate is at 70+% by 23rd Sept there might be a relaxation of restrictions for those fully vaccinated. We look like hitting the vax target, but with cases still increasing in Vic and NSW the proposed 'roadmap out of lockdown' is on tenuous ground at best. :nah: I suspect when 23rd September arrives and the lifting of restrictions is not as hoped it will be canned.... In which case the Eastern Creek / Sydney Motorsports park in November (19-21) is the next 'confirmed' date.

The calendar does however have a 23/24 Oct date on it with a TBA date and TBC venue, and another Date TBA with venue TBC :haha:
In other words it is all a bit fluid atm with the thought we might get a double header at each of SMP and TBC in Qld.

This is the Calendar on the Supercars website. :insulted:

OCT 02 - 03
Winton SuperSprint
Winton Motor Raceway - Winton, VIC
CATEGORIES
Repco Supercars Championship / Dunlop Super2 Series

OCT 23 - 24
TBA
TBC
CATEGORIES
Repco Supercars Championship

DATE TBC
TBA
TBC
CATEGORIES

NOV 19 - 21
Beaurepaires Sydney SuperNight
Sydney Motorsport Park - Eastern Creek, NSW
CATEGORIES

NOV 30 - DEC 05
Repco Bathurst 1000
Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit - Bathurst, NSW
CATEGORIES
Repco Supercars Championship / Dunlop Super2 Series

And this is they take on the calendar re the Bathurst Festival Finale!
The event (Bathurst) will become the finale of the 2021 Repco Supercars Championship as part of the latest revision of the draft calendar.

Discussions are ongoing with various stakeholders on the four other events that are due to feature on the calendar prior to the Repco Bathurst 1000.
ie No one has a bloody clue.
That sentence is the only fact I can see that is confirmed as opposed to all the TBA or TBC :nuts:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago So when will be the next round held anyway? Anything on the October 24th weekend or just a mad scramble to fit anything in November?
Technically I think the Winton on the first weekend in October has not been cancelled.... it is hanging on to the thread that the Vic Govt has offered in that if our (Vic) vax rate is at 70+% by 23rd Sept there might be a relaxation of restrictions for those fully vaccinated. We look like hitting the vax target, but with cases still increasing in Vic and NSW the proposed 'roadmap out of lockdown' is on tenuous ground at best. :nah: I suspect when 23rd September arrives and the lifting of restrictions is not as hoped it will be canned.... In which case the Eastern Creek / Sydney Motorsports park in November (19-21) is the next 'confirmed' date.
Well that did not take long.... someone at Supercars must have read my post.....

Winton SuperSprint called off
Rumours had grown for some time now that the event dubbed the Winton SuperSprint would not go ahead as COVID-19 cases once again rise in Victoria.

That outcome has now been confirmed, leaving Winton without a Supercars Championship round since the first half of 2019.
“The situation is rapidly changing and has shifted considerably since we released the draft calendar changes in July.

“We regret that the COVID-19 situation has led to the cancellation of both the Winton and Phillip Island events and share our Victorian fans’ disappointment that we will not be returning to the state in 2021.

Winton’s cancellation follows similar developments for the planned stops at Phillip Island and the Gold Coast.

Of the five remaining events this year, only the new finale – a blockbuster six-day Repco Bathurst 1000 festival – has been confirmed.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/09/16/wi ... alled-off/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just an update on the calendar.....

Well, there is no update, not in terms of confirmed events, beyond one round at Sydney Motorsports park in November and the Bathurst Festival two weeks later 30/11 to 5/12.

There is talk of another round at SMp the weekend before the scheduled round. There was also hope of a double header at Queensland Raceway prior to that but that is not looking good atm..... the lack of anything on QIR is why we are hearing nothing.
If a solution with Queensland Raceway is unable to be reached, it leaves another search for a venue, or multiple venues, to host the two rounds preceding the alleged season-closing New South Wales triple-header.

All we know is that Supercars are saying all options are open. However It’s not yet known even what state let alone what circuit would be the favourite to replace QR if it comes to that.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

We knew it was likely and hints of a done deal were out yesterday, but it is now officially confirmed.....

Scott Pye signs two-year extension with Team 18

Pye joined the squad in 2020 after it expanded to two cars with a second Holden ZB Commodore.

Scott will continue racing alongside Mark Winterbottom, who last year was announced to continue with the team until the end of 2022.

Team 18 has already indicated it will run the new Chevrolet Camaro under the new Gen 3 rules that are still scheduled to come into force mid next year, despite delays of component supply and the final spec is still remaining undecided.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

In other news, 2000s journeyman driver (and Marcos Ambrose's one-time co driver) Wayne Wakefield could be facing up to 4 years in prison for trafficking 100 kilos of cocaine.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago In other news, 2000s journeyman driver (and Marcos Ambrose's one-time co driver) Wayne Wakefield could be facing up to 4 years in prison for trafficking 100 kilos of cocaine.
Details: https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/ ... g/6672789/

Whittington bros would be proud.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Re the calendar, nothing confirmed or concrete, but there are rumours.....

We know that Winton Phillip Island and all Victorian prospects were cancelled and that hopes were of perhaps two rounds each at SMP and Queensland International. I mentioned in the previous post that the Queensland plans looked to be on shaky ground..... that shaky ground has got shakier again, with news that what hopes there were relied on Victorian and the one NSW team being able to set up a bubble in Queensland to allow them to set up in advance and quarantine. Queensland Govt have effectively said it aint gonna happen, so as I write this Queensland is not an option.

Supercars has a 12-round threshold it needs to hit to fulfil contractual obligations with broadcasters Foxtel and the Seven Network.
We have completed 7 rounds to date..... confirmed are Bathurst and one round at SMP, so still 3 short.

Ironically, Australia’s worst COVID-19 afflicted state, New South Wales, looks set to save the Supercars season.

The options.....? We are looking down the barrel of four back to back rounds at Sydney Motorsports Park!

It’s becoming increasingly likely that the championship could host four consecutive events at Sydney Motorsport Park prior to the Mount Panorama finale, giving us the 5 required rounds needed to meet the 12 minimum contractually needed.

My first thought was Dear God NNNOOOOO. SMP is not my favourite venue at the best of times.
But on reflection it might not be as bad as it seems. Two night events are on the cards (even talk of midweek races if need be). Even that sounds a bit Meh .....

...... However, it gets better...... If Supercars does indeed host four events at the circuit, the championship could race on three different configurations to provide variation. One of them has never been used for Supercars, one has (for the night races previously run) plus of course the standard layout.

The options are the 4.5km ‘Brabham’ circuit, (never been used for Supercars) 3.93km ‘Gardner’ layout, and 2.8km ‘Druitt’ configuration.... all viable options for Supercars. The only stipulation laid down is that Motorsports Australia have forbidden any reverse direction running.

So that seems the choice in the absence of any miracle breakthrough in discussions with the Queensland Govt.

As I said nothing confirmed yet so it is all in the rumour basket.... but it is now a fairly strong rumour.

I have found some track maps of the 3 layout options mentioned

The original 3.93 kilometre Grand Prix circuit aka the ‘Gardner’ layout

4.5km ‘Brabham’ circuit, (never been used for Supercars)
The Brabham circuit combines the classic Grand Prix layout with an additional 830m of track that branches from the southern end of the circuit.

2.8km ‘Druitt’ configuration

Finally this is the complete set up with the variations included. The individual layout can be seen using the map key. .

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago In other news, 2000s journeyman driver (and Marcos Ambrose's one-time co driver) Wayne Wakefield could be facing up to 4 years in prison for trafficking 100 kilos of cocaine.
Details: https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/ ... g/6672789/

Whittington bros would be proud.
Hehehehe .... Wakefield is one to add to the likes of the Whittingtons, Vic Lee (BTCC) and other similar tales already featured in the "Drugs in Motorsport" thread here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7332

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Re the calendar, nothing confirmed or concrete, but there are rumours.....

..... I mentioned in the previous post that the Queensland plans looked to be on shaky ground..... that shaky ground has got shakier again, with news that what hopes there were relied on Victorian and the one NSW team being able to set up a bubble in Queensland to allow them to set up in advance and quarantine. Queensland Govt have effectively said it aint gonna happen, so as I write this Queensland is not an option.....

Supercars has a 12-round threshold it needs to hit to fulfil contractual obligations with broadcasters Foxtel and the Seven Network.
We have completed 7 rounds to date..... confirmed are Bathurst and one round at SMP, so still 3 short.

Ironically, Australia’s worst COVID-19 afflicted state, New South Wales, looks set to save the Supercars season.

The options.....? We are looking down the barrel of four back to back rounds at Sydney Motorsports Park!

It’s becoming increasingly likely that the championship could host four consecutive events at Sydney Motorsport Park prior to the Mount Panorama finale, giving us the 5 required rounds needed to meet the 12 minimum contractually needed.
*NOW CONFIRMED*

Supercars confirms return with four events at SMP

As rumoured in my last post (partially quoted), Four events in as many weekends at Sydney Motorsport from next month, it has been confirmed.

This means that the remainder of the 2021 season has now been locked in, with those events plus the finale, the Bathurst 1000 rounding out a 12-event campaign.

‘SMP / Eastern Creek’ (if you prefer) will play host to Supercars on October 29-31, November 6-7, November 13-14, and November 19-21.

Multiple races will be held at night, and multiple layouts of the Western Sydney circuit will be used. Details of the layouts to be used and day/night mix will be confirmed in days to come.

As hinted in my previous rumour post three of Sydney Motorsport Park’s layouts are available, namely the traditional 3.91km Gardner layout, the 4.5km Brabham layout which incorporates the 2012 extension, and the 2.8km Druitt Circuit which by-passes Corporate Hill and was used by Supercars for night racing in 1996. Details and maps of the variations of layouts available in a previous post up the page.

Another possible means of variation, either within or across race weekends, is tyre compounds, with at least the hard and the soft feasible for the high-degradation circuit.

Cue arguments of when is a National series not a National series , with Victoria, Tasmania and W.A all not running events. We will get the bulk being NSW , SA and NT (Same thing technically) and Queensland. The answer to that is I guess what we are getting is better than a poke in the eye or nothing at all. At least we get a Bathurst 1000. :wink:

It is somewhat ironic that the series will basically be played out in NSW, the State that started the latest Covid outbreaks and indeed still has by far the worst record of Covid infections and deaths. Just sayin..... :suspicious: :nuts:

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I'm maybe too old but I never learned to live by the SMP name. It will always be Eastern Creek for me :tongue:

The four round SMP sweep starting from the last week of October has been confirmed now.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago It will always be Eastern Creek for me :tongue:
Same here.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."