[NSC/NNS/CWTS] 2009 Season

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
HC

[NSC/NNS/CWTS] 2009 Season

Post by HC »

NASCAR may struggle in real life but on The Fastlane it seems to be the most popular series out there. Last year we wrote 131 pages about the American stockcars. Will we this year once again reach the 100 mark or will our posts tumble as much as the car counts will in NASCAR.

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

2009 Calendar

NASCAR Nationwide Series

2009 Calendar

Camping World Truck Series

2009 Calendar

2008 Season Thread
Last edited by HC 15 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

For as long F1 continues with its BS, NASCAR stays my favourite motorsports series. And that is for the first year i watch motorsports.
Last edited by erwin greven 15 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

For those who haven't kept track, I've been posting 2009 paint schemes in the last thread. If you missed a scheme, they can all be found here:

http://www.rubbins-racin.com/member_ftp ... chemes.php
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Here are some news tidbits from the past few days as well:
Petty Close to Sports Car Deal: Kyle Petty took another big step towards racing in the Rolex 24 At Daytona and a possible full season in the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series Sunday, testing the #45 Orbit Racing InterMedia BMW Riley at the rechristened Palm Beach International Raceway. Petty, who tested with the team at Daytona during Pirelli tire testing in October, ran more than 50 laps as he continues to make the adjustment from racing a Sprint Cup Series stock car and the Grand-Am Daytona Prototype. "Braking has been hard for me," Petty said. "Darren tried teaching me at Daytona until I ran until I ran into the tire wall. That was pretty exciting. When I ran a few laps here I told him, first I'm not brave enough, then I get stupid, so I have to back it up and figure out where I need to be, somewhere between ‘stupid' and ‘not brave enough.' Learning the braking is hard." The car was not damaged when Petty slid into an infield tire barrier during his October test session. Now, Petty is working on the final details for a move to Grand-Am. "We're still working on it, and we're closer to getting something together," Petty said. "Hopefully, we'll have something together before long that will give me a job for next year and we can win some races. I'm here at Orbit because of Rodger Hawley, let's be clear about that. I ran a car with Orbit and Leo Hindery two or three times at Daytona. We didn't have the greatest success in the world but we had a lot of fun. I told Rodger back then that if it ever comes to the point when I don't have a Cup ride and I can go and do something different, I want to come here. I think this is the top road racing series in the United States, so I'm stepping from the top stock car series to the top road racing series, the Grand-Am. I'm looking at it as a lateral move to another series where there's a ton of great drivers."(Grand-Am.com)(11-25-2008)
Kyle Busch Expected to Run full Nationwide Series Season: Kyle Busch is "99 percent" certain to run the full 35-race Nationwide schedule next year, Joe Gibbs Racing's vice president of Nationwide Series operations Steve de Souza said on Friday. Dave Rogers, the crew chief for JGR's owners' championship-winning #20 Toyota, said that he'd work another combination season, with Gibbs' Sprint Cup drivers Denny Hamlin and Joey Logano doing most of the races. He said Busch would run a full schedule in the #18 Camry with crew chief Jason Ratcliff.(NASCAR.com)(11-23-2008)
Bobby Hamilton Racing to Shut Down: Bobby Hamilton Racing-Virginia will cease operations at the end of the week, Lori Shuler Hamilton, chief operating officer for the NASCAR Truck series organization, confirmed Monday. The team, started by the late Bobby Hamilton, moved from its base in Nashville, Tenn., to Martinsville, Va., after the 2007 season with partners Clay Campbell, Stacy Compton, Mac Bailey, Mark Melling and Joey Arrington joining the ownership group. The team won the 2004 Craftsman Truck Series championship with Bobby Hamilton behind the wheel. Details of what will happen with the trucks and the equipment are still to be determined, Hamilton said. The team's sponsorship from Dodge ended after the 2008 season. The organization started the season with two trucks but cut back to one during the year. Dennis Setzer finished eighth in points and earned a win at Martinsville - the 20th win for the organization since its inception in 1999.(SceneDaily.com)(11-24-2008)
Cynon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cynon »

DaleJuniorFan wrote:For those who haven't kept track, I've been posting 2009 paint schemes in the last thread. If you missed a scheme, they can all be found here:

http://www.rubbins-racin.com/member_ftp ... chemes.php
Why is it that NASCAR teams have a fetish or something for black cars while F1 has a fetish for white and red cars? Anyone else notice that?...

EDIT: 40000th post in Modern Motorsport, woo!
Image videos, a racing league that exists only on the internet with the fiercest competition around.
2008 TM Master Cup Champ: #27 - Alexis Rainsford
HC

Post by HC »

Thanks to DaleJuniorFan for the 2009 schedules.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

NASCAR's most legendary and long-standing team, Petty Enterprises, will no longer exist:
SI.com has learned that Petty Enterprises' top operation will not return in 2009. The organization will merge with George Gillett (#9,#10,#19), giving that team its fourth car. No word on the future association with Petty Enterprises and Boston Ventures, although Boston Ventures may maintain some involvement in the Richard Petty Driving Experience. Official announcement of the news could come as early as this afternoon. No word on whether Richard Petty will have an ownership stake as part of the merger agreement.(Sports Illustrated)(12-4-2008)

UPDATE: Petty Enterprises is in discussions to merge its storied franchise with Gillett Evernham Motorsports. Multiple people familiar with the talks told the AP that the two teams are discussing a deal that would merge Petty's #43 Dodge with GEM to become a four-car operation. They requested anonymity because the negotiations are ongoing. SI.com first reported Thursday that Petty Enterprises' top operation will not return in 2009. But David Zucker, CEO of Petty Enterprises, said the report was "not accurate." He would not discuss a potential merger. "We're not going to comment on rumors and speculation," he said. Petty, the team founded by seven-time series champion Richard Petty, has no full-time sponsorship lined up for next season. The team fields cars for Bobby Labonte, Chad McCumbee and Kyle Petty. Robbie Loomis, vice president of Petty Enterprises, told the AP nothing has changed with the organization, and the team is continuing to talk to potential partners. Drew Brown, a spokesman for GEM, did not immediately return a call for comment.(Associated Press)(12-4-2008) Comment here
HC

Post by HC »

Here's the full story from SI.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/r ... index.html

I could care less if Honda leaves F1 or not. But Petty leaving NASCAR, that's just not right. I still remember how awesome it was when Andretti took the #43 to Victory Lane at Daytona.

It seems all the small teams are merging with each other or other financial backers. What was Evernham Motorsports just two years ago could now become Gillett Petty Evernham Motorsports with Ray not having anything to do anymore with the organization. And with teams like Yates and DEI struggling NASCAR will change drastically. Only the power houses will really survive. But I could see teams like the #5 and #26 shutting down in two or three years.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

HC wrote:I could care less if Honda leaves F1 or not. But Petty leaving NASCAR, that's just not right. I still remember how awesome it was when Andretti took the #43 to Victory Lane at Daytona.
He wasn't running for Petty when he won the July Daytona race. He drove for Cale Yarborough then, then moved to Petty the next year. :wink:
HC

Post by HC »

This is what you get when you rely on memory instead of Racing Reference. I do remember now, the car was red and white.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I think if they'd shut down the #45 team after Adam's death and just focused on the #43 with a good driver like Labonte behind the wheel, they'd have perhaps done better overall and not been in their current situation. I dunno. Kyle has pretty much been one of the slowest drivers in the pack in recent times and many felt he was just dragging the team back for his own stubborness. Now that he's going road racing in Grand-Am, he wants to commit fully to that and probably doesn't feel like running PE anymore. I just hope GEM is the right choice to merge with. They've pretty much stunk recently and without Ray at the helm, they're making a lot of bad decisions and I just hope firing Labonte and losing the famous number 43 isn't one of them.

But damn, this is huge. PE have been in the sport since it's beginning in 1949 and are to date the most successful team in the sport and the very foundation of the famed Petty legacy.

BTW, nice looking thread, HC.
HC

Post by HC »

I'm pretty sure that Kyle wasn't running PE anymore. I can't find the news stories right now but IIRC there was some tension between Kyle and the team (similar like Bobby Jr. and Hamilton Racing).

Its a shame if Labonte would get fired because he's a great driver. But I also don't want to see him run at the back in a lousy Dodge.
Conti64
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: Any Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Clark, Gurney, McLaren, Villenuve
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Car(s) Currently Owned: '01 Dodge Ram 4x4

Post by Conti64 »

LOUSY DODGE?! That's harsh man, harsh.
"No human being can do a miracle. Nobody commands magical properties, but Gilles made you wonder." - J. Laffite
HC

Post by HC »

Harsh? Its the truth. They've been nowhere for a couple of years. Remember guys like Newman running with the old nose back in 2006 to get it up to speed. And that's just one of the troubles they had over the years. The only Dodge that picked up a couple of wins in recent history is Kahne. I wish I could say something better but they are far behind the rest of the gang (Toyota, Chevy, Ford).
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

It is mentioned many times on diverse broadcasters that Dodge is missing speed comparing to the other brands. Ryan Newman drove a Dodge to victory at Daytona, but that was his only real highlight this season.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."