[NSC/NNS/CTS] 2008 Season - Thread #2

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me they stopped the NASCAR broadcast to show America's Funniest Home Videos. I'm surprised they didn't cut the live coverage of 9/11 to show a programme like that.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Dan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dan »

Its frustrating because that show has been on air for like what? 30 years? I think its going to be ok if they miss an episode so we can watch the final laps of a race.... but I guess its the way ABC decided to do things. What makes me the maddest is that there hasn't been an apology from anyone because of it.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Brian France comments on the future of manufacturers in NASCAR during the troubled economy:
France NASCAR could survive Manufacture pullout

NASCAR Chairman Brian France said Sunday that the sanctioning body will remain a viable entity, with or without the continued support of General Motors, Ford, Dodge and Toyota. France said the struggling economy and plummeting auto sales could conceivably force one or more of the automakers to reduce support to race teams, or even withdraw from the sport entirely. But he stressed that even if that happens, the sport will survive.

“We're not going to live or die if one manufacturer or another has a pullback or pullout," said France. "We're working like mad to make sure it doesn't happen, (and) the sport is on very solid ground that transcends one manufacturer or another."

He revealed that he and NASCAR President Mike Helton have met with high-ranking executives of all four manufacturers, and that each of them agreed that the sport remains an important and effective marketing tool. "Each (of them) went out of their way to tell me that while there are pullbacks and cuts to meet these challenges, the last thing would be to abandon something that works so well," he said.

France also expressed confidence that NASCAR will have full, 43-car fields next season.
And a breaking story, DEI and Chip Ganassi Racing will officially merge in 2009:
MIAMI -- Teresa Earnhardt and Chip Ganassi will combine their slumping race teams next season, an effort to stabilize their organizations in a tough economic time, The Associated Press has learned.

The combined team will be called Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing and will field cars for Martin Truex Jr., Aric Almirola, Juan Montoya and a driver yet to be named, two people familiar with the decision told the AP on condition of anonymity because the deal has yet to be announced.

Both organizations have struggled to secure sponsorship this season, forcing the teams to pool resources.
Cynon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cynon »

I honestly hope they pick A.J. Allmendinger for the fourth car, because he's been fantastically quick in two midfield cars.
Image videos, a racing league that exists only on the internet with the fiercest competition around.
2008 TM Master Cup Champ: #27 - Alexis Rainsford
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I still don't get the reasoning behind hiring Sorenslow. What, could have possibly made them do it? He's a deadbeat driver. Other than the pole at Indy last year and a win at the Busch race at Gateway, he's been terribly off pace and mediocre at best. Also still can't understand Red Bull firing AJ. He was running even better than Vickers when they let him go and he's been hauling that #10 faster than both Sadler and Kahne. AJ may be a prick to work with, if rumors are anything to go by, but the kid can drive and deserves a ride in the #10 for 2009, not Reed.

I'm glad Aric Almirola wasn't let go in this DEI-CGRFS merge. He's got a lot of talent IMHO.
HC

Post by HC »

Lol, I fell asleep on Sunday after the big one. Had no idea that had happened. Pretty hilarous if you ask me. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had happened to IRL. Or if NASCAR had to make way for something like football or baseball. But this... hilarious! And it probably was a rerun too.
NASCAR bans 2009 testing to save teams cash

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer 1 hour, 1 minute ago

HOMESTEAD, Fla. (AP)—NASCAR has suspended all testing at its sanctioned tracks next season in a cost-cutting measure that should help teams save several million dollars in their 2009 budgets.

The moratorium, which includes the traditional “preseason” Daytona 500 testing, is for NASCAR’s top three divisions. Teams cannot test at any track where a Sprint Cup, Nationwide Series or Truck Series event is held.

NASCAR told teams its decision Friday morning at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The decision is an about-face from just a few months ago, when NASCAR considered expanding the testing schedule to as many as 24 days at any track.

Reaction was mixed among drivers, who generally loathe the midweek test sessions but value the data that’s gathered.

“I think it’s a mistake,” said Jimmie Johnson, who’s poised to win his third consecutive Sprint Cup Series title. “I do understand and recognize that we need to cut expenses. … Now we’re going to need to focus on other ways to collect data or create simulation programs or machines to create on-track activity and then test at tracks that may not work and on tires we won’t race on and try to find a baseline.

“It’s going to slow things down and make it more expensive. We still have to get on the track. We still have to test. We cannot sit still.”

The current testing policy was seven tests over 15 days at tracks selected by NASCAR. Teams also could rent time at NASCAR tracks that don’t host Cup races—Nashville, Kentucky, Memphis—and were free to test at any facility not on the NASCAR schedule.

NASCAR can’t control teams from testing at tracks it doesn’t sanction, and Johnson was certain his Hendrick Motorsports team will put together a busy schedule at those facilities next year.

It creates an interesting dilemma for NASCAR, which also wants the second-tier teams to catch up to the super teams of Hendrick, Joe Gibbs Racing, Roush Fenway Racing and Richard Childress Racing. Those four organizations can and will test aggressively at non-NASCAR tracks, while teams short of cash may not be able to afford that luxury.

“At the end of the day, speed equals dollars. It’s the formula in racing, it’s the way it works,” Johnson said. “At the end of the day, the only way we’re going to beat Roush, or Childress or Yates or Ganassi or any of the teams out there, is by finding more speed and technology and that takes money to do. No matter how you try to fold the rules, you can’t change that.

“We’ve got to do what we’ve got to do to win.”

But Carl Edwards, who drives for Roush’s five-car team, applauded the decision because of the immediate cost relief it will give teams. Estimates vary on how much testing costs, but teams are believed to spend about $1 million a car for the three-day January test at Daytona.

“I think it gives a little bit of relief to the teams as far as expenses and the team owners,” Edwards said. “As long as everyone operates on the same rules, you are going to have nearly the same competition whether you can test every day of the year or not test at all.”

But Robbie Loomis, vice president of Petty Enterprises, said he’s worried the testing cutbacks will hurt rookie drivers.

“Rookies like (Joey) Logano need to spend a little bit more time in Nationwide, and I think a rule like this will make people look at them a little different before they bring their driver up,” Loomis said. “Jimmie Johnson was in Nationwide a couple years before he came to Cup. But when Jimmie Johnson came here, he was ready to go.”

The testing ban comes as NASCAR is trying to cut costs to save struggling teams. Sponsorship dollars are extremely difficult to find, and several teams are in danger of folding if they can’t find a miracle or a merger.

Chip Ganassi Racing and Dale Earnhardt Inc. agreed this week to combine their teams next season, and the partnership resulted in 100-plus layoffs at DEI. The Wood Brothers, who have been in NASCAR since 1953, lost the Air Force as a sponsor this week when it said it was moving to Gillett Evernham Motorsports next year.

Furniture Row Racing, an independent one-car team based in Denver, Colo., said it will run a limited schedule in 2009. The Furniture Row company both owns the team and sponsors the No. 78 driven by Joe Nemechek.

“This is simply a business decision by Furniture Row of balancing priorities in a tough economy and, from all appearances, looks to be getting even tougher,” team president Joe Garone said.

Source: NASCAR on Yahoo!
I don't know if this is the right way to go. I like it that they make a radical decision, going from plans to expand to banning it completely. But I rather would have seen them concentrate on other areas, like the car for example. Earlier this year I saw a piece on ESPN about a new machine the big teams were all using. It was very expensive and it was twice as big as the car. You could put the car on it and the thing would shock it, recreating bumps or something along those lines. Much of the teams were not using it because they couldn't afford it, but for the big teams money usually isn't an issue. I thought it was such a waste of money. NASCAR has always been about good racing with decent race cars. But nowadays NASCAR is getting close to F1. The cars are made with rocket science, F1 engineers are coming over and the setup is done by computers.

I think its better if they put more restrictions on the car and go back to basics. Give it some ground clearance, stop things like crabbing, let them use decent tyre cambers so that the blowouts stop and put a decent aero package on them. I know its hard to say to the teams that they can throwout all their fancy stuff. But its just as radical as banning testing and it will certainly save more money. Plus it will improve racing and then we don't need the Chase anymore. Which is bullshit anyway. The gap between Johnson and Edwards is now 141 while with the old standings it would have been 56. Something is definitely wrong. I hope that some important sponsors pull out, a manufacturer follows too and NASCAR will be forced to do something.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Well, the car hasn't changed since the last time they ran Daytona. They had no issues at either race. So there's really no need for testing as the setups and tire compounds can be the same as last year since the car will be the same and the teams know what to expect. Great move by NASCAR and probably the first one that will actually save some costs.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Johnny Benson wins the 2008 Craftsman Truck Series championship with a 7th place finish tonight, just a position ahead of Ron Hornaday.
Cynon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cynon »

DaleJuniorFan wrote:Johnny Benson wins the 2008 Craftsman Truck Series championship with a 7th place finish tonight, just a position ahead of Ron Hornaday.
Epic epic battle for the championship, too. :shock:
Image videos, a racing league that exists only on the internet with the fiercest competition around.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Hotdogger wrote:Well, the car hasn't changed since the last time they ran Daytona. They had no issues at either race. So there's really no need for testing as the setups and tire compounds can be the same as last year since the car will be the same and the teams know what to expect. Great move by NASCAR and probably the first one that will actually save some costs.
It's gonna save some of the teams upwards of $6M a year, but put the test teams on the dole.

the only flaw I see in the ban is it only extends to NSC series tracks, so teams with too much money could conceivably goto somewhere like Texas World to do development work, and get round the ban that way.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

ignore
Last edited by DaleJuniorFan 15 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
HC

Post by HC »

Ian-S wrote:the only flaw I see in the ban is it only extends to NSC series tracks, so teams with too much money could conceivably goto somewhere like Texas World to do development work, and get round the ban that way.
Or NASCAR´s favorite track Kentucky. :haha:

Congrats to Benson and Bowyer. If I remember correct the gap in CTS was -7 and in Nationwide -21. Who needs a Chase anyway. I can´t remember exactly what Edwards said in Victory Lane but he was also a fan of the old system as he thought you win a championship by consistency over a full season.
Cynon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cynon »

HC wrote:
Ian-S wrote:the only flaw I see in the ban is it only extends to NSC series tracks, so teams with too much money could conceivably goto somewhere like Texas World to do development work, and get round the ban that way.
Or NASCAR´s favorite track Kentucky. :haha:
Kentucky's a NASCAR sanctioned track. Testing is banned there.

The thing the COT needs is tires that are two inches (at least) wider so it will at least race well on these big boring cookie cutter tracks!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

4:03 p.m.
GREEN FLAG: David Reutimann and Scott Speed get the Ford 400 under way from Homestead-Miami Speedway.

if someone knows a stream...
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Lap 18
LEAD CHANGE: Carl Edwards pulls around Matt Kenseth again and takes the lead. Kevin Harvick closes in on the two in third.

CE (Carl Edwards) =>1st
JJ (Jimmy Johnson)=>18th
Last edited by erwin greven 15 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
jpalesi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jpalesi »