[NSC/NNS/CTS] 2008 Season

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Maybe, but that's JPM. He did what he thought was right, he admitted it in the interview, and he'll probably pay a penalty, but it is so refreshing to see someone refuse to bend over and take Kyle's bullshit. Busch needed taking down a peg or two. I thank JPM for doing that.

At the very least, it isn't as bad as what Ken Butler did in the ARCA race today.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

Oh I liked his interview on it,,,I like Juan...I dislike Kyle,,,I just think Juan handled it poorly....but maybe it's time for him to shoulder his way in since the good ol' boys have closed ranks against him....Juans biggest problem is the team he's with. ;)
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

He can probably kiss any chance of filling Stewart's seat a sweet farewell after today. :haha:
Cynon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cynon »

OSNOF wrote:Maybe, but that's JPM. He did what he thought was right, he admitted it in the interview, and he'll probably pay a penalty, but it is so refreshing to see someone refuse to bend over and take Kyle's bullshit. Busch needed taking down a peg or two. I thank JPM for doing that.
Busch will keep on being a dick, even if someone beats the shit out of him, because he knows NASCAR will save him.
OSNOF wrote:At the very least, it isn't as bad as what Ken Butler did in the ARCA race today.
I missed that. What happened?
Image videos, a racing league that exists only on the internet with the fiercest competition around.
2008 TM Master Cup Champ: #27 - Alexis Rainsford
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

Butler went the wrong way up the pitlane with the intent of ramming Frank Kimmel who was coming down it the right way. I can't quite imagine Montoya doing that.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Ganassi's #40 team skipping Daytona, closing? hearing that the #40 Chip Ganassi Racing team of Dario Franchitti will skip the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway and has closed the team, supposedly laying off around 70 employees.(7-1-2008)
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/8302160?MSNHPHMA

They're done. No sponsors = no running, and it is a shame that it happened right before a RP race where Ganassi have been very strong this year.

Robin Miller is also speculating that Dario could shuffle into CGR's sportscar team for next year.
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

Ganassi has said they are commited to Darios stock car development. He will most likely run the rest of the Nationwide Series.

Reed has not yet signed a contract for 2009.
TheRacingLine.net
RacingLineDevelopments.com
Race2Play.com
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Seems like Ganassi are a team in complete disarray. I feel for Dario.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

From www.nascar.com
Martin expected to drive for Hendrick next season.
News conference scheduled for Friday at Daytona

Hendrick Motorsports is expected to announce Friday at Daytona International Speedway that Mark Martin will drive its No. 5 Chevrolet next season.

Hendrick Motorsports on Tuesday issued a media advisory that it would conduct a news conference Friday afternoon at the track to announce who will replace Casey Mears in the No. 5 car.

Martin has been talking with HMS about driving full time or part time for the team next year and will be part of the announcement, sources confirm. Although Martin has said in previous weeks he wanted to continue with a partial schedule, sources indicated he might run a full season for Hendrick.

Before the June 22 race at Infineon Raceway, team owner Rick Hendrick would not confirm nor deny that he had discussed with Martin the possibility of his driving for the team.

Martin has driven a part-time schedule the past two years after spending 19 seasons driving for team owner Jack Roush. Martin, 49, is scheduled to drive in 26 events this year for Dale Earnhardt Inc. while Aric Almirola fills out the remainder of the schedule in the No. 8 car.

Almirola will drive the No. 8 car full time for DEI next season, the team announced Tuesday.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Reigning IndyCar Series champion Dario Franchitti's move to NASCAR appears to have backfired slightly following the revelation that his place in Chip Ganassi's Sprint Cup squad has been lost to financial pressures.

The Scot made the move to stock cars after clinching the 2007 IndyCar title in a last-lap thriller with current points leader Scott Dixon, but has not enjoyed the best of luck since. Despite being given every advantage in starting with a crucial place in the top 35 in owners' points, Franchitti's results meant that he slipped out of the bracket, and he has since suffered a broken ankle that sidelined him for several races.

Now, Ganassi has announced that, with long-time partner Coors departing prior to Franchitti's arrival, the team does not have enough sponsorship to cover three cars, and would prefer to concentrate on more experienced drivers Juan Pablo Montoya and Reed Sorensen.
Just another bit on the Dario/Ganassi situation.
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

Ganassi is very cold towards Sorenson right now as he has a 'can't be fucked' attitude towards sponsor commitments etc. If Dario can rebuild his confidence and come back to the front by the end of the year in NNWS, the #41 might be open.

There are also rumours going around that Castroneves might be filling Newman's seat next year, if Newman goes to Haas\TSR, with Graham Rahal replacing Helio in the IRL.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It's like ever since Chip fired Marlin to hire the 'marketable' but mediocre Stremme, it's all been downhill. Right now, he's got.. Reed, who's pretty much been asleep since his awesome 2005 Busch season, Franchitti, who's never driven a stock car before this season and is having to learn everything as he goes along, and Juan, who's been the best of the struggling organization so far. I don't care what people say, you can't be running a multi-car team with rookies. You NEED that one guy that can draw upon his vast experience to lead the organization and the rest of the teams in it can draw from to move forward. Marketability don't mean a whole lot when the best you can hope to score each week is a Top-30 finish, and it seems some of the sponsors are realizing that now. I like Dario, one of the nicest guys in racing, but I am just totally befuddled by how or why top teams like CGRFS and Penske don't just play it safe and hire experienced STOCK CAR drivers instead of guys that've never driven one and have to be taught every single thing. Can't see where the smartness lies in paying a guy 20 million bucks for a season of 'learning'.. you're supposed to arrive in Cup already learned most of what you need to know, by spending a few seasons in the lower tiers. Finally, Chip's heart seems to lie in open-wheel racing and his Grand-Am program as he's at those races most of the time, so maybe he should just downsize his NASCAR operation, sell it to someone that genuinely cares about racing in NASCAR and knows what they're doing.
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

Sabates: "What happened to us - we kind of got hung out to dry by Coors. Coors was with me for almost ten years and they had a management change and the new people come over and told us don't worry about it - 'Don't look for a sponsor; we're going to be back with you in 2008, 2009.' So, we never looked for any sponsors and come October they come and tell us well Coors is going to do something else. They're going to sponsor the NASCAR Coors pole and this and that so then it was too late (for the 2008 season)...so we have been running all year long without a sponsor."

"Dario had a hard time with it. He made a change from the Indy Racing League to come here. But truth of the matter is that he needs more seat time. We gave him an option to go in the Nationwide car because we do have a sponsor for the #40 Nationwide car. He's going to decide what he's going to do in the next few days and maybe he'll be racing in Chicago (Nationwide race July 11).....I hope he does get in the Nationwide car. He's a very talented driver and if he gets a few more months under his belt maybe we can get a sponsor for next year and we can go racing next year.
Sabates told CBL on the cost of running the team and how much he's paid to keep it running: - "It cost you $20 to $21, $22 million dollars to run a competitive team and if you run 15 races and you don't have any money coming in you have already lost $10 or $11 million dollars."

Sabates on Dario's choices: "Chip pretty much told him if he wanted to go to back to Indy that, because it doesn't cost near as much money there as it does here, and over there Chip is the Rick Hendrick of over here - so he can get a sponsor for an IRL car very easily. So he's got his choice - if he wants to drive the Nationwide Car - get some more experience, maybe we'll get a sponsor for next year or go back to the IRL -- it's up to Dario - he has a contract and we intend to honor it."
TheRacingLine.net
RacingLineDevelopments.com
Race2Play.com
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

OSNOF wrote:Butler went the wrong way up the pitlane with the intent of ramming Frank Kimmel who was coming down it the right way.
For some reason, I'm not surprised.

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Any youtube video of the accident?