[NNC] 2007 Season

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
jpalesi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jpalesi »

Bottom post of the previous page:

And Harvick shows once again he's an idiot :roll:
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Truex Jr pushes JPM into Harvick, which of course leaves Harvick pissed and parks his car in front of Montoya so he can't drive away. Both leaves their cars and start pushing each other, grabbing each others helmets. Very near a fist fight there.
After all that, JPM hopps into his car still on the lead lap but breaks down just after that. Shame.

But that was fun!
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

During the red flag, a fan runs onto the track and asks Matt Kenseth for an autograf. lol
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Jeff Gordon spins out of the lead with 2 laps to go.

Tony Stewart takes the lead with Carl Edwards right behind. In 2nd last corner though, Edwards flies off.

Neat race.

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Cheeveer wrote:Truex Jr
LOL, i read that as DUREX and i guess most of the people on here will know what that is!

When do you think highlights will appear on 'tube?
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

DoubleFault wrote:
Cheeveer wrote:Truex Jr
LOL, i read that as DUREX and i guess most of the people on here will know what that is!

When do you think highlights will appear on 'tube?
Right about....

now

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

The Nextel Cup race at Michigan has been postponed twice since Sunday until now. And now the track is dry but they aren't racing 'cos it's too foggy and the spotters can't see the backstraight. What bullshit! It's the drivers that should be racing, not the spotters. Are they really that dependant on the spotters?

HC

Post by HC »

Kyle Busch will drive the #18 M&M's Joe Gibbs Toyota next year.

I remember him coming into the Busch Series and doing some pretty stupid things. But his Cup debut was so impressive and he certainly was the best driver of the new ones back then. Now he has become a real front runner and I just couldn't understand why Hendrick dropped him. Gibbs has made a very good decision, getting Kyle into his stable. He's young, got his act together last year and impressive every weekend. I hope he will also do some Busch and Truck races coz it's always fun to watch him. I see a future NNC champ.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

I remember his Cup debut... at Las Vegas in 2004. He was crap. After that I thought he would never become anything.

But that car looks great!

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

He just needs to drop the attitude overdose he displays at almost every race, on and off the track and he'll be ok. Certainly, he's got key ingredient, talent, in enough quantity for Richard Petty to label him as the best natural talent he's seen since Tim Richmond, so there's no problem on that front at all. And Joe Gibbs is famous for toning down feisty sportsmen with attitude/ego problems. So 2008 should be a year of change for ol' Shrub.

As for Hendrick, yea, I'm confused too. You could argue that he felt losing Kyle is a small price to pay for getting Dale Jr. into the fold, but damn, wouldn't it have made more sense to replace Mears instead??
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Well, Talladega is this weekend, and with the COT making it's first superspeedway start, it may be a little more exciting.

Be sure to watch the ARCA race at 5pm ET*, as IRL champ Dario Franchitti and former F1 driver Scott Speed will be making their first stock car starts (plus the Talladega ARCA race always tends to be one whale of a show). Also, the Truck race is tommorow*, and yes, Jacques Villeneuve will be running the race.

Speaking of JV, he's attempting to make his first Cup start as well, so here's the car he's driving:

(*For the international crowd, or those who dont have SPEED, download TVU Player and watch it there)
HC

Post by HC »

Hotdogger wrote:As for Hendrick, yea, I'm confused too. You could argue that he felt losing Kyle is a small price to pay for getting Dale Jr. into the fold, but damn, wouldn't it have made more sense to replace Mears instead??
I don´t like the way it went down, but it could have been expected. Hendrick said there were others interested in Kyle so decided to end their relationship. Busch said he knew nothing about that. If you want to drop someone be honest. But Rick always plays it dirty.
CUP: Drivers Uptight Over COT
Written by: Tom Jensen Talladega, Ala. – 10/5/2007

NASCAR Nextel Cup drivers are always on edge at Talladega Superspeedway, a track where on Sunday they’ll spend upwards of three hours drafting in huge packs, inches apart nose-to-tail and spread three- and sometimes four-wide, constantly on the edge of “The Big One,” a huge multi-car wreck that could take out nearly half the field in a matter of seconds.

So under the best of circumstances, tensions and adrenalin are perpetually high at Talladega. And with Sunday’s UAW-Ford 500 being the fourth race in the Chase for the Nextel Cup, the top 12 drivers in points have even more reason to fret.

But the real concern is not just the normal Talladega nightmares, but how the racing will be on Sunday with the Car of Tomorrow, which for the first time will race on a track larger than the 1.322-mile Darlington Raceway.

NASCAR has spent more than six years and millions of dollars testing the COT already, and it has performed well at smaller tracks so far. There is no reason to believe it won’t do fine at Talladega on Sunday, either, but that doesn’t keep drivers from worrying.

Some complain that forward visibility is severely compromised by the huge rear wings and the two-inch-taller cockpit greenhouse. Others have worried about the possibility of the cars getting airborne if they get turned around in an accident or of simply being prone to fall out of the draft too easily. And some, like reigning NASCAR Nextel Cup Champion Jimmie Johnson, driver of the Hendrick Motorsports No. 48 Chevrolet, bemoan the lack of control drivers have here, especially with the COT.

“I've been at the front, I've been at the back, I've been in middle, I've been in wrecks, I've started wrecks,” said Johnson. “I mean I've been a part of everything here that can take place and there ain't a darn thing I can do about it so I'm just going to line up and go and hopefully be able to stay relaxed all the way through these next couple days and then through the event and miss the problems that are out there. Because it doesn't matter where you're at, there's a high chance you're going to get tore up. It's kind of timing - right place, right time or wrong place, wrong time.”

Kyle Busch, Johnson’s teammate at Hendrick Motorsports, believes that if “The Big One” – an accident with a double-digit number of drivers involved – occurs and sends one or more cars spinning backwards, it could well launch a car airborne.

“I think it’s a fact,” said Busch. “If you look at it, the back bumper of the cars, it’s scooping air right up underneath that blade, right underneath the wing. Anytime you push air up against something, it’s going to lift it up. I don’t know that there’s going to be enough air that goes between the decklid and the wing. I think it’s just all going to get packed up right there and they’re going to go airborne. I guess they’re hoping that the roof flaps are big enough, strong enough to hold the cars down on the ground.”

A NASCAR spokesman said Friday that officials heard no such concerns or complaints – or any others, for that matter – from drivers after Friday morning’s first 60-minute practice session. (LOL)

But the drivers were fairly vocal with the media about their concerns, including limited visibility in the COTs. “I think there’s a very good chance we’ll have an accident because we can’t see and somebody is gonna run into somebody and probably wreck, but we do that a lot at these race tracks,” said Matt Kenseth, the Roush Fenway Racing driver who claimed the 2003 Cup championship.

Kenseth’s teammate, Carl Edwards, was even more blunt on the visibility question. “I think not being able to see ahead of the car in front of you is gonna be the biggest change from the driver’s perspective,” said Edwards. “I told my spotter, Jason Hedlesky, ‘You’ve got to tell me what’s going on in front of me,’ because if I’m behind a guy, it’s like you just get this big blind zone that’s bigger than it ever was before. You can’t see anything in front of them, so that’s pretty interesting and a little bit scary.”

Add it all up and there are many unknowns to wrestle with, come Sunday. “You hope that you’re in front of The Big One or you’re far enough behind it to stay out of it. I would like to say that we have run really well here in the past and we’ve been able to finish good because we haven’t been in The Big One,” said Kurt Busch. “It is a fear that you know is there but you don’t think about it all that often unless you see things getting anxious. When drivers are making very aggressive moves you start to sense that it is getting exciting and you start to bail out so you don’t get caught up in it. There are a lot of things that you can’t control out there and that is part of restrictor-plate racing in this era.”

“From the driver's standpoint and the crew's, we just don't know what to expect,” added Johnson. “Typically we see some crazy things happen here, at the same time we've seen a lot of crazy stuff going on the last few weeks so we're prepared for anything.”

Souce: SpeedTV
I´ve watched practice yesterday and the visibility in front of you is really a concern. I can´t understand NASCAR didn´t think of it. You just can´t see what´s happening up front, how much cars there are and if something happens. I hope we see some changes for it next year.

ARCA race was real competitive, even better than last year. There´s of course a lot of factory support (which Tanner mentioned subtle after his wreck :P) but these guys also showed they deserve to be there. Only a shame they finished single file, thanks to all time great in ARCA racing (NOT) Kimmel. He should have gone (like he said) with Braun, he would have had a better chance at finishing first. The championship wasn´t really on the line anymore so I don´t understand it.

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

The restrictor plate races are among the few NASCAR-races that I enjoy watching. And with Villeneuve hopefully making his debut it'll be even better.

Where did Speed and Franchitti finish in the ARCA-race?

HC

Post by HC »

Scott Speed came in 7th and Dario Franchitti made it to 17th.

Scott created a caution when they stacked up on the backstretch and he spun out the car in front of him.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Villeneuve 6th fastest in qually :shock:
JPM 31st.

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2007/30 ... ineup.html

Note that that isn't the race line-up, but the qually results.

DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Truck race is on right now. Like I said, JV is in the race.