[NNC] 2007 Season

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Truck race is on right now. Like I said, JV is in the race.
HC

Post by HC »

DaleJuniorFan wrote:Truck race is on right now. Like I said, JV is in the race.
No, he's out. Rookie mistake, trying to dodge pitting trucks.

Just got the big one when Sprague cut a tyre and Benson pushed him sideways.

Should be enough cars left to have a classic finish, plus championship contenders are still here. Although Ron had a close call in the latest wreck.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I just saw the intro for the Nextel Cup race and only that made me 24% dumber.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
HC

Post by HC »

Ha, Gordon dumps Johnson and takes the win with Stewart helping him. That was a great finish. Looking forward to next year here, should be much better. There was a lot of patience today and most of the wrecks were not caused by the drivers. With more cars in the end next year it should be even more of a spectacle. COT at RP works!
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Carl Edwards has the pole for tommorow's Nextel Cup race at Phoenix. Jacques Villeneuve made the race, and will starts 27th in his second Cup start.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

It will also be Sam Hornish Jr's first Cup start.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Jimmie Johnson won 4 of the last 5 races and also the 2007 NASCAR Nextel Cup, thanks to "The Chase".

HC

Post by HC »

He's the worthy champion of the 2007 championship. He simply dominated the chase and I can't remember any bad run he had in it. However it's not the way I want to see a championship get won. You win one by being consistent all 35 races, not the last 10. But the rules aren't like that so Jimmie is like I said a worthy champion with the chase format but personally I would rather have seen Gordon win it. I hope NASCAR will go back to the old format when they realize they race a whole season, not the last 10. The races are not more dramatic or spectacular, mostly the TV networks just miss a bunch of the action/stories because they're concentrating too much on the chase.

Next year I hope the COT will be a success on the big ovals and other teams can do something with the Hendrick dominance. This is not F1, 43 entries should be able to win, or is that a bit too positive. :haha:
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

I'm not looking forward the C.O.T. next season.

This article explains some more reasons why I dislike it.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlin ... index.html
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

What was it Darrell Waltrip said about the COT on Wind Tunnel before the Homestead race?

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Daly outlines some of his comments on his blog: http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2007_11_18_archive.html

Scroll half way down the page till you see this: "Dave Despain Shows His NASCAR Disdain"

The highlights:

"...DW answered some hard questions, but it was clear that Despain was there to poke the big NASCAR bear with a stick. Mike Joy tried to ask DW questions from the Charlotte studio, but Despain quickly stepped-in and took control, which included telling DW that he had ten seconds to answer a question. Needless to say, DW took his sweet time and made sure Despain understood not to do that again.

It was Waltrip that quietly raised what was perhaps the best point of the entire program. It was the contrast between the intensity and the agressiveness that we saw in the past and the current Hendrick Racing "love fest" for the championship. DW did not mince words when he said NASCAR "sucked the life out of the sport" by clamping down on the personalities of guys like Kevin Harvick and Tony Stewart.

His point was that NASCAR itself had made this championship "vanilla" through their own actions with the intense and passionate drivers in the sport. His words were a big public shot across the NASCAR bow on national TV, and really made this show memorable.

...DW returned to address the Penske Racing situation and talked again plainly about the tough racing with the COT, and the fact that "The Chase" should only be about five races long. He also suggested that the Cup regulars should not be scored in the Busch Series Championship. Waltrip was on a roll, and he was not going to stop.

Without prompting, he reinforced that the COT needs additional work, and Mike Joy asked him about the safety issues of the COT. Joy continued with his own beliefs about the cost-saving and racing issues with this new car.

DW summed up the fact that NASCAR is at a crossroads, and that the fan base needs some assurance that the sport will maintain the excitement and intensity that put it on the map. Despain is not a NASCAR fan, and he moved onto another question without reinforcing that the top NASCAR on Fox announcer was saying NASCAR was in crisis.

The reason Despain moved on was clear. It was his time to talk about more Formula-1 racing. Off he went to the races, talking on a NASCAR Sunday about some bizarre Formula-1 story that none of his viewers were interested in at all."
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

DW is awesome.

JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

NASCAR preseason testing began today.

Jimmie Johnson was fastest. Team Toyota was close behind.