NASCAR at Talladega *Spoilers*

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

NASCAR at Talladega *Spoilers*

Post by Cheeveer »

To continue what has been said here, I've made a thread about the Talladega race, since those are often particularly controversial and exiting.

The fun part!
NASCAR responds to Stewarts comments UPDATE: NASCAR called Tony Stewart's comments "very, very disappointing." "NASCAR has been running races since 1948, and we place the safety of the drivers at the top of the list," said spokesman Jim Hunter. "We have more people and more resources than ever officiating our races. The safety of the drivers is our first priority. It has always been that way and will continue to be that way. There are thousands of talented race drivers out there who would consider it an honor to compete in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series."
UPDATE: been told that NASCAR didn't allow the #20 Home Depot team to unload the car until Tony Stewart went to the NASCAR Hauler to discuss his comments about NASCAR and the debris cautions/staging races.(4-27-2007)
Other noteworthy things is that this will be the last race at Talladega with the old car.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
HC

Post by HC »

Everyone has to admit that sometimes NASCAR's debris caution come out just at the right moment. However you can't simply say they do that to make the race more exciting, the camera's always pick up some sort of debris. I can partly understand the yellow fever. You all remember the fallen heroes of 2000 and 2001. It was the freaking new millenium and drivers were getting injured just about every week. NASCAR didn't do anything about safety for years. Drivers were running open face helmets and loose belts. When Dale died NASCAR finally realized they were light years behind. They helped finance the SAFER project, buld the R&D, mandated HANS and did some other things. Still they raced back to the yellow and the SAFERs came too late for Jerry. NASCAR thinks about safety now, they know they were wrong in the past. That's why I think they throw that many yellows. They're like the overprotective mother. The point being, I understand why they throw them debris yellows a lot but I sometimes also think they do it just at the right time. What makes us fans and Tony suspicous.

And I don't get why they don't debut the COT this weekend. Later this year it will be the first time a COT races on Tally and it's a chase race. Why don't race them now while the pressure isn't that big.
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

HC wrote:I can partly understand the yellow fever. You all remember the fallen heroes of 2000 and 2001. It was the freaking new millenium and drivers were getting injured just about every week.
While I do agree with your views on NASCAR, and oval racing in general, I don't think your point is fully valid. First of all, both wrecks in 2000 were at the same track, same type of session: practice.

Even though you have closer to facts than I have, I do believe NASCAR is in the right direction of safety. "Debris Cautions" are abused by NASCAR and have been for awhile (other series do it...CART, too IIRC in 2002 when Tracy had a huge lead).

I believe yellows should only be thrown for "debris" if they are a) oil or b) can cut a tire or car. For a huge piece of "marbles" as I recall in the Phoenix race (that FOX clearly pointed out). NASCAR, IMO, has a near-perfect balance of safety and excitement, but too much is "rigged"</rant>

As for the COT, I'd love to see them run that car this week too, since it seems that they might be able to go full time next year. I still believe it's the wrong direction for NASCAR, but if this idea for a Busch Series as a "stock" car series, I'll actually be fine with COT
HC

Post by HC »

You forgot Tony Roper. Together with Dale all four incidents were the same. A driver went hard into the wall and my guess is they all suffered a basal skull fracture. HANS would have saved them. Maybe they would have been seriously injured but they would have lived. In IMSA the HANS device was already used by several drivers, even far back into the 90's. They only had positive feedback but nobody ever cared. Plus if you read Olvey's book Rapid Response you learn NASCAR really showed a lack of support. When they put together meetings with just about everybody in the racing world there was one series missing. But as said in the book and by millions of others NASCAR turned around. Too late for a lot of drivers in the last 15 years but every sport makes mistakes. For some it maybe hard to forgive them but with the NASCAR R&D and the COT they're doing everything they can.

Back to the debris cautions. A small object could cut a tyre and make the car go straight into the wall. NASCAR doesn't want that. Obviously these days you can't get seriously injured but there are always the freak accidents. I think it was Stewart last year who was a tiny bit injured in the NNC race at Charlotte, after having a hard ride the day before. But NASCAR has a zillion camera's, they can zoom in a lot and see things clearly with their HD. Plus don't forget the officials they put round the track to spot the debris. And still they throw yellows for hot dog wrappers... If it's a piece of metal or something that can cut things it's okay IMO, but not paper or a piece of plastic.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

They have to err on the side of caution,,It a situation that calls for instant reaction and they often can't ell exactly what it is until they're embarrassed by it turning out to be nothing dangerous.
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

Yes, I did forget Roper :oops: :eyecrazy:
StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

BTW, Mikey "the ride buyer" Waltrip might actually qualify for a race. I heard the area around Talladega has no trees... :haha:
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

StrtRacrZ wrote:BTW, Mikey "the ride buyer" Waltrip might actually qualify for a race. I heard the area around Talladega has no trees... :haha:
I don't really get that joke, but Waltrip was 20th in qually, so he did make the field, for the first time since Daytona. Seems like I won't have more Nextel Cup points than him after Sunday :sorrow:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Cheeveer wrote:
StrtRacrZ wrote:BTW, Mikey "the ride buyer" Waltrip might actually qualify for a race. I heard the area around Talladega has no trees... :haha:
I don't really get that joke, but Waltrip was 20th in qually, so he did make the field, for the first time since Daytona. Seems like I won't have more Nextel Cup points than him after Sunday :sorrow:
Seems that I was wrong due to Nascar's incredibly stupid qually system :wow:
And that Nascar.com only lists the fastest times, not the real grid line-up.
Last edited by Cheeveer 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

I never visit NASCAR.com anymore :thumbsup:
http://jayski.com/stats/2007/grids/2007tss1-grid.htm
And it's free :smiley:
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

StrtRacrZ wrote:I never visit NASCAR.com anymore :thumbsup:
http://jayski.com/stats/2007/grids/2007tss1-grid.htm
And it's free :smiley:
Yes, I should know better

Anyway, a fun story about Clint Bowyer on Nascar.com:
However, the No. 07 Chevrolet team has made huge strides this season, starting with a solid 18th-place run in the Daytona 500, followed by three top-10 finishes. That's left Bowyer ninth in the standings heading into Sunday's race.

:tongue:

StrtRacrZ
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by StrtRacrZ »

Wow, what a finish... :shock:
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

StrtRacrZ wrote:Wow, what a finish... :shock:
The Busch race? I followed it by watching the live timing and people's comments on TBK. Most exiting race that I've ever followed without seeing it :haha:

Lunatic Armchair
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Location: St Alfonzo's Pancake breakfast,where I stole the marjerene

Post by Lunatic Armchair »

Cheeveer wrote:
StrtRacrZ wrote:Wow, what a finish... :shock:
The Busch race? I followed it by watching the live timing and people's comments on TBK. Most exiting race that I've ever followed without seeing it :haha:
Lemme guess. Right up until the server explosion at the end :tongue:
Matt wrote:The 1981 Monaco and Spanish Grands Prix had a surprising winner, merely due to the fact that they're the only races in history to have been won by a World War 2 tank disguised as a Formula One car.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

I think I'm going to cry.

Was tuning in for a great finish, and they flag for a yellow for debris with 4 laps to go when someone blew his engine. The on the GWC restart some idiots goes 4 wide and tangles up, and whilst slowing down, McMurray tags Gilliland and Tony Stewart. Of course everything ends in a fucking mess and since that was a GWC, there is no restart and Jeff Gordon wins under caution. What a fucking disgraceful way Gordon goes by Dale Earnhardt's number of wins, on Earnhardt's birthday of all days.