NASCAR's new Car of Tomorrow

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.

What do you think of the looks of the CoT?

Sexy thang
No votes
Looks good
17%
Meh, I could get used to it
13%
Nope, NASCAR screwed up, its fugly
25%
Jesus, NASCAR's been smoking the happy grass, what a piece of crap
17%
I honestly couldn't care, as long as the racing improves
29%

Total votes: 24

Debo318
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Debo318 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

What I don't undertstand is knowing that the front and rear wing are so fragile, how will u repair them after an accident? I think there will be a lot more DNF's and finishing on the lead lap will be a more grateful thing.
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

Good question. Here's another. Are those items tethered to the car or do we get to see mass decapitations during "The Big One"?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Warren wrote:
Bram wrote:I thought they were going to bring the Chevy Impala in?
Doesn't really mather...
It doesn't matter whatsoever. All cars MUST fit "the template". The only thing that sets the cars apart are the decals and engines. Course, the engines are based on the Ford 351C, so there you go.
The Aussie V8's also are into the 'parity' thing in a big way. Im not 100% on all the details, but the V8's as you know is Holden (GM) v Ford. Both have to use the same engine, both have identical suspensions, wing sizes and front aero. The only difference being the actual body shape. I will try and dig out the actual rules (wont be today) :wink:

The parity thing is one reason why the AVESCO governing body was keen for Kelly to win, and Lowndes to lose, as Ford have totally dominated V8 racing for the last few years :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Debo318
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Debo318 »

Warren wrote:Good question. Here's another. Are those items tethered to the car or do we get to see mass decapitations during "The Big One"?
They'll probably tether those things down. They've done that with the hoods since '03 I believe. It would be rather dumb to have them not tethered, especially at the superspeedways.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

NASCARE say they'll be saving teams costs in the long run. Shades of the FiA's decisions to go with V8 engines for F1, eh? :roll:

Anyway, one of the main reasons for introducing this r1cer apart from that was to improve the racing on the big tracks where aero push is such a problem. So far, every driver that's tested it in a pack said its even worse than the current cars in traffic. :roll: I guess they'll thus need more time to sort out the problems on the big tracks and are therefore introducing it on the short tracks for 2007 so that teams and drivers can get a feel for the other aspects of the car, but it sure won't make a difference to the racing in 2007 cause its practically identical to the 'Car of Today' in all handling aspects as those aero changes on the car really won't make a damn good difference on the slow speeds they run on the short tracks. Maybe at Loudon and Richmond, it might to some extent, but that's about it.

But to me, that doesn't look like a traditional stock car. :( Like DW said in his column, with that splitter and rear wing, it looks like something a teenager might have done to the family car.. :evil:
CevertAngel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One.
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari (Present) and Tyrell (Past)
Favourite Driver: Francois Cevert (Past) and Kimi.
Favourite Circuit: Monza,Monaco and Spa.
Car(s) Currently Owned: 1987 Ferrari Testa Rossa. 1968 Impa
Location: In Francois Cevert Heaven.Sharing a Cloud with Francois and Uncle Ken.

Post by CevertAngel »

Warren wrote:Good question. Here's another. Are those items tethered to the car or do we get to see mass decapitations during "The Big One"?
I hope to hell they are tethered down ..........As the above mentioned isnt something anyone wants happening especially for the younger veiws who dont need to see that kind of thing :sorrow:
Always One Of Great Brilliance on the Track and Great Kindness Of It... - Francois Cevert (1944-1973) .... Loved and Missed Always,
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

They run rear wings in most forms of motorsport and I can almost guarantee that not one person has ever been decapitated by one falling off. :huh: That's an incredibly stupid suggestion.

All everyone does is moan about how rubbish NASCAR is and then they make some insignificant changes to the car; you have no idea what effect it's going to have, but you moan about it as if you've been fans of the series all your life.
Last edited by PTRACER 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Exactly. Why should it suddenly be a problem? :huh:
Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

PTRACER wrote:They run rear wings in most forms of motorsport and I can almost guarantee that not one person has ever been decapitated by one falling off. :huh: That's an incredibly stupid suggestion.
Stupid, eh? What series hosts some of the most wicked crashes, with shit flying everywhere? NASCAR...
PTRACER wrote:All everyone does is moan about how rubbish NASCAR is and then they make some insignificant changes to the car; you have no idea what effect it's going to have, but you moan about it as if you've been fans of the series all your life.
Sounds like most of the F1 fans, here.

I grew up watching NASCAR, but haven't been a serious fan for a number of years now.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Well, the wicked crashes/big ones happen mostly in the four ss races of the year, and they're getting better too. Last year's races had far fewer wrecks. Even Bristol was tame and mostly green. :huh:

All I'm saying is the chances of a wing flying into the crowd is as high in nascar as in any other series especially those where they are much bigger and are under much higher pressure(Indycars anyone?) so to suddenly gather all this concern over Oh what'll happen when a COT wing breaks is uncalled for.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

What I don't understand is that this CoT was supposed to be LESS aero dependant,,To me it would appear MORE aero dependant.
With it's add on wing it has more rear downforce than in the past but with less on the nose. It would seem to me that it would push more and be harderr to balance and that the rear wing is more suseptable to side drafting and more easily disturbed by running in a pack.
It seems to me, that they have done the opposite of what they claimed they were after.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: All everyone does is moan about how rubbish NASCAR is and then they make some insignificant changes to the car; you have no idea what effect it's going to have, but you moan about it as if you've been fans of the series all your life.
First im not trying to start a shitfight....

but..... maybe you should read the thread/poll title.....

What do you think of the looks of the CoT?

Doesnt ask how long Ive been a fan, if I am a fan or even say you must be a NASCAR fan to answer this question. Just do I like the look....A subjective question that doesnt need a history of watching NASCAR to answer.

So I answered I dont like it, (which I dont), and added I didnt think it looked like a DTM as someone (the thread author I think) suggested, plus some information on parity in a series which uses a lot of common parts, the Aussie V8's.....

I didnt say why I didnt like it. Not the question. I made no (your words) "moans about how rubbish NASCAR is or what effect it is going to have."

No I dont like the look of it. (13/17 dont) Sorry its not the answer you wanted. :wink: I will stick to F1 . Its not so complicated. :tongue: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

strad wrote:What I don't understand is that this CoT was supposed to be LESS aero dependant,,To me it would appear MORE aero dependant.
With it's add on wing it has more rear downforce than in the past but with less on the nose. It would seem to me that it would push more and be harderr to balance and that the rear wing is more suseptable to side drafting and more easily disturbed by running in a pack.
It seems to me, that they have done the opposite of what they claimed they were after.
But its got the splitter at the front Rob, that should help in avoiding the aero push condition a lot.

The side draft you mention seems to be the main problem with it getting looser in traffic and I hope they find a way to sort that out. Its been a problem lately in almost all three series with a car on the inside simply looping without warning the moment someone runs up on the outside too fast. :(
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

I ain't Rob :roll:
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

strad wrote:I ain't Rob :roll:
Sorry Carl! OMG this has got to stop, first it was Greg for Chris, before that in another forum, I was calling a friend named Urban Alsenmyr as Keith Urban even though I knew it was Urban. Today, I was reading a post of a guy named Bob Simpson just before writing that post, and I must've written Rob because of that. :oops: Man, this could get real embarassing at the work place if I ever call my boss Fred instead of John, for eg. :tongue:
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

No sweat