NASCAR 2019 - News and Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

They have dropped NASCAR telecasts from the cable schedules here.... last year we got everything live from NASCAR. This year not even delayed coverage or highlights.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

And I continue to be bemused by the most recent TV deal, which was very lucrative, despite being signed at a time when the sport was clearly plummeting already.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

SB83 wrote: 5 years ago And I continue to be bemused by the most recent TV deal, which was very lucrative, despite being signed at a time when the sport was clearly plummeting already.
What's worrying for the sport is when the TV-deal runs out in 2024 if Nascar haven't been able to turn the tide with regards to TV ratings. That could be a severe blow to the sport.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

John wrote: 5 years ago
SB83 wrote: 5 years ago And I continue to be bemused by the most recent TV deal, which was very lucrative, despite being signed at a time when the sport was clearly plummeting already.
What's worrying for the sport is when the TV-deal runs out in 2024 if Nascar haven't been able to turn the tide with regards to TV ratings. That could be a severe blow to the sport.
Turning the tide is virtually impossible by 2024, I think. I just don't know anything that can bring about a sea change in people's interest in the sport at this point.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I think the main problem is a change of the customer. In the past people would sit out the 3 to even 4 hour races without any problem. Nowadays the new customers (20-35yo) have too many options besides NASCAR. And the constant changing rules in a desperate urge to keep people entertained won't help either. The older viewers get alienated by it.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Not to mention their core demographic (the south) feeling alienated in regards to the schedule, and possibly with Toyota in the mix as well. But with regards to demographic, it's still the second most popular US sport with millennial's, second only to the NFL. So it's not dead.

Nascar needs to figure out it's place in the media world today. Reducing the race distance would be a good place to start. Sorting out the aero and allowing the cars to race each other is another. We'll see if the new aero kits for this year fixes something, but I'm not so sure about that.

The schedule can't be altered at the moment, but I'd say more short tracks and mile ovals are needed over these 1.5-mile cookie cutters.

Also the loss of stars like Dale Jr, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and (*takes a deep breath*) Danica Patrick (as crap as she was in Nascar) means something here.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

They can't be all things to all people.

Need to choose a direction and stick with it. Go whacky racers or purist. Don't hedge bets.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The ship has already well and truly sailed as far as the purists are concerned.

I read in 2021 there might be some drastic changes schedule wise, although it's all rumours at this stage.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I also used to believe if they fixed the racing, it'd be more popular but I think it's more than that. It was an overall package which benefited immensely from a certain time period when IndyCar was imploding and the characters from NASCAR like Dale, Rusty, etc. offered a relatable, down to earth star cast to people who were tired of aristocratic drivers and their airs. But then they went and destroyed all the credibility they had built up with the blue collar crowd. And I think that part is irrepairable as most of them have moved on for good and found other avenues to devote their patronage to and NASCAR has the task of snagging new fans afresh, and to that effect, I don't see anything in the current direction its heading that's giving me any confidence.

@John I had no idea it was the second most popular sport among millennials but I hazard it's probably a loooong way behind the NFL? Still, I figured one of the other stick-n-ball sports would be second, like MLB or NBA. Millennials are always written about as not being into cars as much as our generation.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

SB83 wrote: 5 years ago @John I had no idea it was the second most popular sport among millennials but I hazard it's probably a loooong way behind the NFL? Still, I figured one of the other stick-n-ball sports would be second, like MLB or NBA. Millennials are always written about as not being into cars as much as our generation.
Yeah, I was a wee bit surprised as well. I didn't see the actual numbers (it was a Forbes article), but I mean, maybe it's not that far fetched. Even last year, with the threat of rain to boot, the Bristol night race drew a crowd of 100,000. Those numbers aren't dog shit, really, even if the track swallows 167k spectators.

As for Baseball, they play 162 regular season games. How on earth is any non-autistic millennial going to be able to devote himself to that?

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

what is a non-autistic millennial? Define that.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

For what it's worth, members of NASCAR's Fan Council recently received a comprehensive survey regarding changes to the Cup schedule, and it sounds like nothing was left off the table. From what I've gathered through Twitter/Reddit, some topics included:

- Cutting the number of races a season. This could involve cutting second dates from select tracks
- Shortening race distances
- The option of running Cup races on a weekday
- Indycar-style doubleheaders
- Changes to the All-Star Race. One option was to schedule the event between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs. This also includes shuffling the race to a different track every season
- New tracks. Reported options available included Iowa Speedway, Road America, Eldora, Road Atlanta, and Mosport. Street circuits were also discussed, though no specific ones were named
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

There are some good options mentioned.

What i would add: Don't throw a competion caution after each stage.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

2020 Cup schedule.
Lo and behold, it appears they followed through on the promise of changing things up. Chief among them:

* ISM Raceway (Phoenix) will now host the season finale. Homestead will move to March 22nd
* The July Daytona race moves to late August, acting as the "regular season" finale
* Indy moves to Independence Day weekend (July 5th)
* Both Pocono races have been merged into one doubleheader weekend (June 27th & 28th)
* Darlington will begin the playoffs in place of Richmond
* The spring Martinsville race, moved to May 9th, will be a night race
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Just a shuffling of dates. :( Bulk of the schedule is still the same shitty intermediate tracks plagued by aero push.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Doesn't it rain in Miami in March? They have a ATP/WTA tournament there right now and two days have been lost due to rain already. Doesn't bode well for Homestead's future at all. Looks like Martinsville is right before the All-Star Weekend & World 600? Sounds fishy for two places so close to each other?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...