NASCAR 2017 - News & Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

NASCAR 2017 - News & Discussion

Post by erwin greven »

roadandtrack.com wrote:Dodge Might Be Ready to Rejoin NASCAR

The automaker officially pulled out after the 2012 season, but that may soon change.

In 2012, Brad Keselowski won the NASCAR Sprint Cup Driver's Championship behind the wheel of a Dodge Charger. After the season was finished, though, Dodge was officially done with NASCAR. Now, four years later, it looks like Dodge is ready to get back in.

Autoweek reports that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne confirmed his interest in a return over the weekend. Speaking to reporters at the Ferrari Challenge World Finals, Marchionne said he'd love to see Dodge make a return. "I talked to Jim France (executive vice-president of NASCAR) about this just last night," he said.

As for why Dodge pulled out of the sport in the first place, Marchionne said it was purely about money. "I am the guilty party at the table. In 2009 we came out of bankruptcy; we couldn't (justify) racing in NASCAR when I was trying to pay bills and make payroll. I think we're in a different place now."
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports ... in-nascar/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

as for the 2017 season?

That would be on very short (too short, surely) notice, wouldn't it?
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

They probably mean 2018 at the earliest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we know why NASCAR didn't publicly announce the specifics of the Monster Energy title sponsor deal:
Only 2-year, $20 million a year (with a 2-year option). That's down from Sprint's $65-70 million a year contract.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

and if the rumor I heard was right Monster was second choice, with the original "technology" company backing out in September at the 11th hour, but I don't know how true that actually is, could be BS, but if you join the dots, it's a valid theory.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Hisense and Samsung were two technology companies mentioned frequently in the ongoing search. Hisense in particular because they're already involved in the sport and have their U.S headquarters in the Southeast (AKA "NASCAR country"), just outside of Atlanta, GA. Wouldn't surprise me if it was them.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah I heard it was both in a kind of bidding war till Samsung stuff started going up in smoke.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

Rumors are that the new deal with Monster is for significantly less money.

Brian France really is killing the sport.
Bring back the sheep.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

NASCAR has unveiled a new corporate logo and the official name for the Cup division:

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Carl Edwards won't race this year, leaving JGR immediately to 'persue opportunities outside of driving', slightly mysterious... will be replaced by Suarez.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Tony McCoy found a new mount for the Grand National?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

motorsport.com wrote:Carl Edwards to retire from NASCAR racing, effective immediately

Sources told Motorsport.com Edwards made the decision three weeks ago and that Daniel Suarez will pilot the No. 19 Toyota in 2017.

Suarez, who turned 25 on Saturday, is the defending Xfinity Series champion. The Monterrey, Mexico native won three races on way to his first NASCAR title. Suarez cut his teeth in the NASCAR Mexico Series and the K&N Pro Series East tour before graduating to the Camping World Truck Series and then NXS.

Edwards, 37, was recruited by Jack Roush in 2003. He replaced Jeff Burton in the No. 99 Ford the following season. Edwards scored 23 wins with Roush Fenway Racing before moving to JGR for the 2015 season. In the No. 19 Toyota, Edwards scored an additional five wins over the last two seasons. He finished fourth in the Cup standings last season in his first Championship Round berth.

In 13 seasons of Cup competition, the Columbia, Mo. native posted 28 wins, 22 poles, 124 top fives and 220 top 10 finishes.

Edwards career-best finish was second in the standings in 2008 and 2011.
http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/ne ... ly-864387/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

What the hell is with 2017 and unexpected retirements?
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Meh.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

A lot of people are questioning his decision ... He is 37 and has enough money for multiple lifetimes why should he continue if his heart isn't in it?
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Maybe Nico has set off a new trend, or maybe the grass wasn't as green as he thought it was, remember Carl was one of the biggest supporters of cutting the downforce but sometimes last year he looked so off script that even a Truck would have been quicker.

But good for him, I'm a big supporter of the "don't need this shit gonna find something else to do" stance.

Next one to retire will be Dale Jr, either next time he hits a wall or whenever he wakes up and genuinely does say fuck this shit, won't be long and Dale Jr Jr will be along now he's married and all, priorities change etc...