NASCAR 2017 - News & Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
SFIN1972
Favourite Motorsport: NHRA
Favourite Racing Car: watson roadster
Favourite Driver: Aj Foyt
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis
Car(s) Currently Owned: n/a

Post by SFIN1972 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DaleJuniorFan wrote:NASCAR will be using restrictor plates at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Xfinity Series race in July. If successful, the Cup Series could implement plates for the Brickyard 400 in 2018.

The last time RP's were used at a track other than Daytona or Talladega was at New Hampshire in July 2000 as a sort of knee-jerk reaction to the deaths of Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin Jr. at the track. Jeff Burton led all 300 laps is what was considered a complete stinker of a race.
They need to bring the Xfinity cars back to the Raceway Park, the brickyard is such a boring race.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Restrictor plates on the Brickyard is going to be a disaster when the cars have to slow down for every turn. It will create an accordion effect when the cars stay in packs because of the restrictor plate.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

The pack thing only works when you can hold it wide open the entire lap, like at Daytona or Talladega so that handling is virtually a non factor. So essentially, corner speed needs to be almost the same as top speed at the end of the straights. That will not be the case at Indy but if it is, they could be in a for a good race. All depends on how much the spacer cuts down the top speed.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Jr throwing in the towel at the end of the season (assuming he lasts that long and doesn't suffer another concussion).

Congrats to Danica Patrick, NASCAR's most popular driver of 2018.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Aaaannnndddd NASCAR loses even more fans and TV viewers
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Good, it might actually wake them up to the faults of their series.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

WHAT???!!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

You're kidding right?
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah, I'm here all week.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Earnhardt Jr. to retire following 2017 season

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will retire following the 2017 NASCAR season, Hendrick Motorsports announced Tuesday in a press release.

The 14-time Most Popular Driver has won 26 times in 603 starts over a career that began at age 24 in 1999. Among his accomplishments are two Daytona 500 crowns (2004, 2014) and two championships (1998, 1999) in what is now called the NASCAR XFINITY Series.

Earnhardt, 42, returned to competition in the No. 88 Chevrolet this year after a concussion sidelined him from NASCAR's top series for half of the 2016 season. Through his rehabilitation process, Earnhardt has become a vocal advocate for research of sports-related brain injuries.

Earnhardt's best finish in eight starts this season was fifth place at Texas Motor Speedway on April 9. He currently is ranked 24th in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series standings.
Read further at: nascar.com
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

For replacement of Dale, i would like to throw in the name Carl Edwards.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Isn't Carl retiring also?
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Only because Saurez's dad told him to.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

You think Trump winning had anything to do with it?

I always had this "tinfoil hat" theory that Edwards retired because Brian France completely sh*t the bed after openly endorsing Trump at a campaign rally and he (and NASCAR by extension) got a slew of negative press for it. Knowing the team had a Mexican driver in the Xfinity Series with a Mexican-bankrolled sponsor, not to mention said driver being rather successful in that series, was essentially the "escape clause" needed to save face. The only thing missing was an empty Cup seat for their future south-of-the-border superstar to really capitalize on the potential good press that would come with it.

Give Edwards enough monetary incentive/hush money to take the year off, perhaps he decides retirement isn't for him, convince the aging Matt Kenseth to call it a career, move Erik Jones to the #20, Edwards makes his "comeback" in 2018 in the second Furniture Row ride (With their strong Toyota/Gibbs support, it would be like he never left JGR at all).
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

It looks like the Cup Series will be getting a new road course next year, albeit an r-oval in the form of the Charlotte course, which will take over that track's Chase date. There will also be some other changes to the Cup schedule, the Indianapolis race will be the last one before the Chase, Las Vegas will get a second date as already announced, and Richmond's second race will be moved to the Chase.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/sto ... s-released
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

theracer120 wrote: 6 years ago It looks like the Cup Series will be getting a new road course next year, albeit an r-oval in the form of the Charlotte course, which will take over that track's Chase date.
Typical NASCAR. Fans pleading for years to get a road course in the Chase.... and it's a infield course. Oh well. :down:
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

Had a laugh.
Was watching the original Wide World of Sports telecast of the 1962 Southern 500, said to be "the oldest known television broadcast of an American auto Race," and they kept referring to Richard Petty as "Dick Petty". I don't believe I have ever before heard him called Dick Petty.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill