[NASCAR] 2014 Season Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

[NASCAR] 2014 Season Discussion

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

2014 Schedules:
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
NASCAR Nationwide Series
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

Updated 2014 Team/Driver Charts:
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
NASCAR Nationwide Series
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

Recent Off-Season News & Notes:

* Jeff Burton will become a test driver for Michael Waltrip Racing next year, and will compete in select Cup races in a 3rd MWR car. Although the testing gig will be for multiple years, Burton has confirmed that he will retire from active NASCAR competition after 2014.
* Rick Allen has been confirmed as lead commentator for NBC's NASCAR coverage in 2015, joined alongside by Jeff Burton and a 3rd member to be announced later. Allen currently works with FOX Sports as lead commentator for their Camping World Truck Series coverage. As part of the restructured television package, NBC and NBC Sports Network will broadcast the second half of the NASCAR's Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series seasons starting in 2015.
* Swan Racing will expand to two cars, with Rookie of The Year candidates Parker Kligerman and Cole Whitt driving.
* JTG-Daughtery Racing will switch to Chevrolet (from Toyota) with A.J Allmendinger as driver and engines supplied by RCR.
* Phil Parsons Racing will switch to Chevrolet (from Ford) with Josh Wise as driver.
Last edited by DaleJuniorFan 10 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

The teams have been testing at Charlotte Motor Speedway this week in order to improve the lacking competitiveness of the "Gen 6" platform, including an oversized spoiler and a wicker bill running across the roof.

About a half-dozen simulated "races" were run; 30-40 laps long, with pace car and periodic cautions. Out of all of them, there was only 1 lead change all day.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

What a complete, ridiculous looking fiasco.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

It's like amputating your finger to heal an infected toe. Problem is with the front needing to be sealed off (and thus raising up in dirty air when there is no clean airflow) yet instead of devicing a way to ensure front is never sealed off (like fitting an F1 style wooden plank longitudinally under the oil pan such that its tolerance limit is at a lower plane than where the splitter ends), they foolishly fuck around with the wrong end of the car and are probably surprised it made it even worse. After making the racing worse with each year with every new change they come up with, I'm convinced a team of orangutans can come up with a better solution than the NASCAR R&D team of yokels.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Simply said: the cars are too aero dependent. Get rid of that splitter and the side skirts.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

What you wrote...
Cheeveer wrote:What a complete, ridiculous looking fiasco.
What I read...
Cheeveer wrote:NASCAR
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

erwin greven wrote:Simply said: the cars are too aero dependent. Get rid of that splitter and the side skirts.
And i keep quoting myself: Phoenix, spring race, post race interviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azvQ6LS4lM4

He answered the 25,000 dollar question

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... ng-phoenix
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Confirmed changes, per NASCAR
Changes to the package include statically setting the race car ride height and eliminating the pre- and post-race front height rules and inspections. Additionally, the 2014 package includes:

* a square leading edge on the splitter
* side skirt and rear fascia adjustments
* an eight-inch rear spoiler
* a 43-inch by 13-inch radiator pan
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Say you're NASCAR and you want to stop tandem drafting (a.k.a, the "Two-Car Tango") in Nationwide and Truck superspeedway races. You can....

a) Do something smart, like making improvements to the overall design of the car, adjusting the horsepower, etc. that will fix the problem naturally.
b) Do something stupid, like becoming "drafting nazis" and black-flag anyone who even attempts it.

Guess which option they took?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... um=twitter
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Of course, it's widely known that NASCAR's calls are always fair and never cause any controversy at all.

Oh wait...

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how badly this is going to pan out.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

They tried to police bump drafting in 2009 Dega Cup race I think it was and all the drivers protested by running single file on the top side 90% or more of the race. Plate racing is just a joke, has been since 1988.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Hotdogger wrote:They tried to police bump drafting in 2009 Dega Cup race I think it was and all the drivers protested by running single file on the top side 90% or more of the race. Plate racing is just a joke, has been since 1988.
That was less about a protest and more about NASCAR announcing their intentions the night before the race, catching every team off guard and screwing the pooch on all the bump-drafting/tandem strategies they had fine-tuned for the majority of the weekend practice sessions.

I recall NASCAR also gave ESPN a whole bunch of flack for being so openly vocal about the matter throughout the race.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Hoo boy, "The Chase" is about to look like a stroke of genius compared to what Brian France has up his sleeve....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/0 ... tn3b7Qo6M8
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

In an interview on Motor Racing Network earlier this month, NASCAR Chairman Brian France said he was “not satisfied” with the current points structure.
Be unsatisfied with the stinking pile of crap that is the on-track racing instead, you waste of sperm. I don't watch half the time anymore because the racing puts me to sleep, not because the championship system isn't gimmicky enough for you.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

:agreepost: x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.