[NASCAR] 2014 Season Discussion

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Probably the most deserving of the four IMO. Chase hate aside, I'm satisfied with tonight's race. :smiley:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

erwin greven wrote:Personally i would like to have Harvick to take the title. Without those chase rules he would have had one title already.
Very pleased with the outcome too...
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I watched the race on my phone in bed last night. Weird circumstances maybe, but I didn't find it particulary atmospheric or special.

What I did never see before though, was that some cars used to stay high on the track, seemingly not loosing any speed or position with it :amazed: How is that even possible? I always stick down low, also in NR2003. Or can one also take the high line there?
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Homestead has progressional banking, it is 20 degrees up top but only 18 on the bottom.

I too didn't "feel" the race very much. It felt horribly contrived and manufactured. Okay, the debris caution were legit, but it still got ridiculous. Not a single green flag pit stop cycle. But still, no matter what, Harvick has done a great job all year and deserves the title.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

I thought it was an entertaining showdown. Not a classic thriller, but not bad either. But I still don't like the contrived nature of a title faceoff like this. The whole deal with elimination rounds and a final feels like something that would belong to the non-championship event at Charlotte with a winner-take-all prize at the end. Not as a part of a 36 round championship.

But at least the title went to someone who deserved it.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Cheeveer wrote:Homestead has progressional banking, it is 20 degrees up top but only 18 on the bottom.
thanks for the explanation. Are there tracks on NR2003 in which I can try this?
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I think Fontana California is one of them. And of cause the superspeedways.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Only our version, same for the Texas we use (middle is fastest), but generally the principle shortest way is fastest rule applies.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

when can we race sometime? :)
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Was really pulling hard for Newman at the end. I know he's not had the best season stats-wise but I also don't think his RCR car is as good as Hendrick machine and for him to get himself to where he did at the end, right on the bumper of the best man all season, was something.

I know some aspects of this new knockout Chase format are unfair but I feel it’s worth the entertainment value it brings to the table. It’s definitely more ‘all or nothing’ but that’s exciting. And it’s put an emphasis on winning like never before. It’s great to see the top teams and driver throw everything at it to try and get a win. No getting out of the car and saying we had a good points day like they all used to. And while you can still points race your way in like Newman, you better absolutely stay out of trouble as Gordon showed, not even two runner-up positions can make up for a bad finish.

And FYI Antonov, it's not just due to the progressive banking as even on tracks where there's no progressive banking, high line is sometimes faster. This is because you can carry more momentum up high due to not having to turn the steering as much as you would on the bottom.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I bet my dad before the race that Harvick would win, but I was secretly routing for Newman...

If they are going to insist on having the Chase, this version is the best, it's like the old black flag races they used to run at Brands in the late 70's.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote:it's like the old black flag races they used to run at Brands in the late 70's.
BTCC TOCA Shoot Out, 1992-94 :whistling:
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Brian Vickers will miss the start of the season to fix a hole in his heart:

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/n ... ers-again/
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Poor guy
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

He sure gets a lot of bad luck sent his way in the medical department. Hope he has a swift and complete recovery.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Sprint are leaving NASCAR at the end of the 2016 season.