[NASCAR] 2012 Season | Championship Weekend

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.

Who will be 2012 Sprint Cup Series Champion?

Brad Keselowski
80%
Jimmie Johnson
20%

Total votes: 5

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I'm thinking of attending a NASCAR race next year. What would your advice be? How should I imagine the atmosphere and in how much is it different to F1?

I think any time should work out.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Redneck country. I don't think there will much resemblance to Spa or such.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Pocono was fun but the race was tediously boring. I'd like to do Dover or Watkins Glen next year. They are both within 3 or 4 hour drive.

As for the difference in atmosphere. Yeah. It is very different. But hard to describe.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Jayski.com wrote:NASCAR announced a number of competition changes for the 2013 season, highlighted by a new qualifying format in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series that places a greater emphasis on speed:

Qualifying Format In The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
In NASCAR Sprint Cup competition, the series will move to a 36-6-1 format where the fastest 36 cars will make the race on speed. The next six highest ranking cars in owners points that have not already earned a starting position through qualifying and who have entered the event by the posted entry deadline will also make the field. The final starting position will be awarded to the most recent eligible past champion driver. If there is no eligible past champion driver, then a seventh car will make the field based upon owners' points. Provisional positions in the 36-6-1 format will be lined up by owners' points, not speed.
In 2013, the qualifying order for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events will return to a random draw. However, in the event qualifying is canceled due to rain, the field will be set per the rule book and the starting lineup will continue to be determined by practice speeds. Additionally, provisional positions in the NASCAR Sprint Cup, NASCAR Nationwide and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will be based upon the previous year's owner points for the first three races, as opposed to the first five races in previous years for the NASCAR Sprint Cup and the NASCAR Nationwide Series, and four races for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

Testing Policy Opened Up For 2013
Beginning next season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, there will be up to four tests per organization available to teams at tracks at which the series competes. Since 2009, teams could only test at tracks that did not hold NASCAR national series events. For the NASCAR Nationwide and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, starting in 2013, there will be up to two tests per organization at tracks where those series compete. If the organization has an official Sunoco Rookie of Year candidate, then that team will receive one additional test. Additionally, NASCAR will open track activity early for extended practice at two additional events per series, to be determined.

Maximum Field Set At 40 Cars For NASCAR Nationwide Series
In an effort to strengthen the ownership base up and create a sense of urgency among teams to make races, the maximum starting field for the NASCAR Nationwide Series will be set at 40, as opposed to the 43-car field in previous years. A maximum NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starting field will remain at 43 cars while the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will hold steady at 36.(NASCAR)(10-16-2012)
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Wow, forcing people to actually qualify for a race instead of letting them in based on the championship points? What a bizarre idea... :whistling:
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

good
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Finally they are actually making some smart decisions.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

now let's just get rid of the chase format and all is well
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Game changer here!!
Brad is running 3rd now, Jimmie has taken his car to the garage after hitting the wall. He is classified 33rd atm.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

he's back out now, 38 laps down or something like that.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Haha, this race is crazy. Stupid, dumb stuff by Jeff.

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Wow. Mental race.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Holy shit that's the biggest cluckerfest I've seen in ages, it even beats our own Martinsville race for fucked-up-ness :haha: :haha:

(Erwin will get the last bit).
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Both Jeff Gordon and NASCAR are soooo lucky that their bonehead decisions did not catch Keselowski out. It would have been rather embarrassing on both if either of their respective acts of stupidity would have decided the championship.

That said, it's a bit of a shame that the gap is now so big. That can't really be decided by Brad and Jimmie racing each other, the only way for Brad to lose the title now is to crash or hit a technical issue in Homestead.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Kes was none too happy in the press conference, you've probably seen the Speed bleep infested version, well I couldn't sleep so I put together a version by splicing the uncensored audio and video together ;)

ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Well, it has been coming for a while now and it took Jeff Gordon to lose his head to show what a disgrace NASCAR drivers have been making of themselves these past few years. This is what the F1 people are trying to avoid by dishing out penalties left, right and centre, but perhaps NASCAR needs to do the same. Not clamping down on this 'retaliation' is ruining races, causing big crashes and putting people in more danger than needed. The "I am immortal so I can crash whatever I want" attitude that we have seen in many open-wheeler crashes now rears its head in NASCAR. I hope both drivers get a stiff penalty for this, just to set an example.

Nice work on that video Ian :thumbsup: