[NASCAR] 2011 Season - Kurt Busch fired!

All NASCAR Cup and general stock car discussion, including the Xfinity, ARCA and any feeder series.

Who will win the 2011 Sprint Cup?

Tony Stewart
78%
Carl Edwards
22%

Total votes: 9

Omega
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Coulthard
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Omega »

Bottom post of the previous page:

kals wrote:Sadly not omega. Busch has some real anger issues which have been exposed publicly since earlier in the year. To treat your team and the media in such a way is wholly unacceptable. If he was an office worker, behaving in such a way would get you fired immediately. It should be no different for a highly paid, public facing sports personality.
Ok, that I didn't know. The point still stands though, ya big bunch of pansies :tongue:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I still believe there's a large amount of hypocrisy over at Penske considering how they've handled both Kurt Busch's and Will Power's outburts:

Swearing on camera - check
Visual abuse - check
Abusing competitors - check
Abusing fans - check
Attacking governing body - check
Causing team and sponsors public humiliation - check

Kurt Busch - fired
Will Power - fined (but not by Penske)
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Difference: people laughs at Power's outburst, but gets offended by Busch's. Must be because Power is so damn cute. :smiley: Autosport called him Indycar's new cult hero, didn't they?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

That's what I was thinking actually. All the Power incidents came across as pretty pathetic and incredibly funny. But then again that shouldn't detract from the seriousness of the actual offense. Now that's what I find hypocritical.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Yeah! Can of worms opened at TBK for daring to mention the same thing :haha: Oh boy, this is going to be fun.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Kurt's stuff is worse. And, it's not like Will is alone on criticizing Indycar's officials. Remember Helio in Edmonton? etc etc. And Will had a concussion when he said "shit" in Iowa, for an untrained ear it sounded like he was drunk there.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

kals wrote:I still believe there's a large amount of hypocrisy over at Penske considering how they've handled both Kurt Busch's and Will Power's outburts:

Swearing on camera - check
Visual abuse - check
Abusing competitors - check
Abusing fans - check
Attacking governing body - check
Causing team and sponsors public humiliation - check

Kurt Busch - fired
Will Power - fined (but not by Penske)
This is what i meant with:
erwin greven wrote:There are a lot more drivers who had issues with showing their "emotions".
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Maybe I should clarify and erwin has already shown his support for what I was trying to say. Taking both Busch and Power out of the equation I was referring to the conduct those drivers (and many others) had shown. Calling fans and drivers mofos or wankers, driving people into walls, attempting to get physical is all professional misconduct. While I agree that Busch deserved what he got why is it other people got away with their indescretions more favourably? If I called my peers wankers in my company I'd be on disciplinery.

This isn't about liking or disliking Busch or Power but about code of conduct and fairness in punishment.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I agree partly, but to play devils advocate, Powers indiscretions pale into insignificance when compared to Busch's, and the length that Busch's have gone on for.

Power's hasn't been a year yet and he's kind of calmed down a bit since calling the world and his dog a wanker on twitter, he didn't say much about Las Vegas which is something he would have done a year ago, Busch has been doing that every weekend for the last 6 years, i mean, he had a well known meltdown during Driver Introductions at Martinsville this year and was screaming abuse at anybody within 10 foot of him, I should think he's had plenty of warnings from the Captain over the years, Power probably did too, just he listened.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

kals wrote:If I called my peers wankers in my company I'd be on disciplinary.
If you said it live to air on National + TV I dare say they would give you a cab-charge voucher taking you direct to the 'Air Cheltenham' counter at JFK..... :tongue: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Cab charge voucher? I'd be forced to pay my own way :haha:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote:I agree partly, but to play devils advocate, Powers indiscretions pale into insignificance when compared to Busch's, and the length that Busch's have gone on for.

Power's hasn't been a year yet and he's kind of calmed down a bit since calling the world and his dog a wanker on twitter, he didn't say much about Las Vegas which is something he would have done a year ago, Busch has been doing that every weekend for the last 6 years, i mean, he had a well known meltdown during Driver Introductions at Martinsville this year and was screaming abuse at anybody within 10 foot of him, I should think he's had plenty of warnings from the Captain over the years, Power probably did too, just he listened.
I know there's a difference between the longevity of the issues both Power and Busch have been involved in. However in some respects lengths of time should be totally irrelevant. Does that mean that it's ok to be abusive if it's only for a brief moment? Hell no. Abuse is abuse. This is not me versus Will Power. This is me versus common courtesy, or common sense. There is no appropriate time to be abusive to someone, regardless of the trigger point of the said abusive reaction. Both Busch and Power could have reacted to their scenarios in different ways, been the bigger men, but they chose to behave like pathetic individuals. The same is said for Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch and some other people in other forms of motorsport like Hamilton for his post Monaco rant and Stoner for his behaviour towards the marshalls and Rossi after Jerez. People can blame the heat of the moment for losing control of their emotions and in this sport it's something we enjoy from time to time. But it doesn't make it right and these individuals are supposed to be role models. I will maintain that Penske have shown themselves to be hypocrites for firing Busch but not (publicly) discipling Power for roughly the same things.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

My point is this is about the 50045682th time Busch has done it, Power's lost his temper what? half a dozen times over the course of a couple months, then kept his head down no doubt after being given a stern talking to by the Captain, so the two examples are not the same.

Penske are only hypocrites if Power keeps throwing the teddies out the pram for another 5 years, then if they don't fire him, they're hypocrites, up until that point, they're providing Power with the same opportunities to tidy his act up as Busch was given.

Each company has different views on what's acceptable and what's not, for example in my first job, it was common place to tell the boss to f-off if he got under your feet or did something you didn't like, but not every employer will allow that.

Edit: I do see your point in that abuse is abuse, but then if Penske had a zero tolerance policy, Busch would have been sacked 6 years ago.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

:agreepost:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

kals wrote:However in some respects lengths of time should be totally irrelevant. Does that mean that it's ok to be abusive if it's only for a brief moment? Hell no. Abuse is abuse. This is not me versus Will Power. This is me versus common courtesy, or common sense. There is no appropriate time to be abusive to someone, regardless of the trigger point of the said abusive reaction.
@Ian - we're agreeing but disagreeing. Take the drivers out of the discussion. I'm not legitimising eithers behaviour. In reality Penske shouldn't have been a sympathizer for so long and taken more appropriate action much much earlier. 5 years? Well that's both Penske and the offenders fault that went on for so long. As for Power, it may have only blown up (and then calmed down) in a short amount of time, but that didn't stop him calling Tags, Franchitti, plus all of Franchitti's fans wankers as well as throwing the double bird to all at New Hampshire. The time, situation and driver involved does not matter, if it's a joke fair enough, but none of this was.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Blames NASCAR for "ruining his career" at Indy...

Lies about something he said during the Richmond race, then rips up the reporter's paper in front of the whole media room...

Goes off on an ESPN reporter at Loudon...

Mind you, this is just the second half of 2011 alone.