kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Franchitti is second to Power and it is Raphael Matos in third. Wilson has kept up his good start to the season with a fourth place start.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Franchitti won a pretty good race. Power came 2nd.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I caught the first 20 laps, but then dozed off only to wake up with Wilson out. Great news for Dario and Power.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I saw also some 20 laps, then switched off the TV. Boring race.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

28 confirmed drivers already, and lots of TBA's! Awesome!
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Penalties give NHLR front row sweep

By Matt Beer and Jeff Olson Saturday, April 25th 2009, 21:47 GMT

Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing team-mates Graham Rahal and Robert Doornbos will share the front row of the grid for the Kansas round of the IndyCar Series after post-qualifying penalties dropped Dario Franchitti and Helio Castroneves from second and third to the back of the field.

The Indy Racing League judged that championship leader Franchitti (Ganassi) and recent returnee Castroneves (Penske) had both violated the rules by crossing the white line at the bottom of the track during their qualifying laps.

It was the second time in his last four IndyCar races that Castroneves had been hit by such a penalty, as he had committed the same infraction in the title decider at Chicagoland last September, on that occasion coming from the back of the grid to take victory in the race.

Rahal had already claimed pole position before the penalties were applied, but the revised grid sees his rookie team-mate Doornbos gain a remarkable front row position for his first ever oval start.

The result is not only Rahal's first ever oval pole, and his second in three races this season, but also the first time that one of the teams that joined from Champ Car in 2008 has topped an oval grid.

"Qualifying pace has always been our issue on ovals," Rahal said. "To be honest, I think a lot of people thought it would be an issue again here for us. Certainly it hasn't been."

Franchitti held first for much of the session, holding on even when Castroneves looked set to beat him before losing pace on the last of his four qualifying laps.

But encouraged by Doornbos's impressive qualifying run, Rahal, the last driver on the track, put together an effort strong enough to top Franchitti.

"When I was told what Robert did time-wise in qualifying, I really did think we could go faster than that," Rahal said. "We were good on our own in practice."

The penalties mean that Danica Patrick will start from third for Andretti Green Racing, alongside reigning champion Scott Dixon (Ganassi), with Marco Andretti showing much-improved form to take fifth for AGR and KV Racing's Mario Moraes securing a career-best sixth on the grid.

Revised qualifying order:

Pos Driver Team Speed
1. Graham Rahal Newman/Haas/Lanigan 211.311
2. Robert Doornbos Newman/Haas/Lanigan 210.665
3. Danica Patrick Andretti Green 210.470
4. Scott Dixon Ganassi 210.368
5. Marco Andretti Andretti Green 210.220
6. Mario Moraes KV 210.197
7. Ryan Briscoe Penske 210.098
8. Tony Kanaan Andretti Green 210.082
9. Dan Wheldon Panther 209.144
10. Ed Carpenter Vision 208.956
11. Sarah Fisher Fisher 208.543
12. Milka Duno Dreyer & Reinbold 208.537
13. Hideki Mutoh Andretti Green 208.506
14. Vitor Meira Foyt 208.461
15. Raphael Matos Luczo Dragon 208.382
16. Mike Conway Dreyer & Reinbold 208.145
17. Justin Wilson Coyne 207.971
18. EJ Viso HVM 206.779
19. Stanton Barrett 3G 205.820
20. Ryan Hunter-Reay Vision 205.673
21. Dario Franchitti Ganassi -
22. Helio Castroneves Penske -
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO :twothumbs:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:Tracy to return for Canadian rounds

By Matt Beer Wednesday, May 20th 2009, 17:44 GMT

KV Racing Technology has announced that it has extended its deal with Paul Tracy to cover the IndyCar Series' two Canadian events.

Former Champ Car champion Tracy has joined KV in a second car alongside Mario Moraes for this weekend's Indianapolis 500, and has qualified 13th for the race.

The Canadian remains hugely popular in his home country, and his entry for the Toronto and Edmonton races in July will be a major boost to both events.

KV team co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven said Tracy's performance at Indianapolis so far had proved he still has a lot to offer the championship.

"Paul is one of the greatest and most exciting drivers in the history of the sport and has shown here at Indianapolis that he still has what it takes to be competitive," he said. "We look forward to having him drive for KVRT in front of his countrymen."

Tracy came from 16th on the grid to fourth at Edmonton last year in a one-off drive in a Vision Racing entry run by Derrick Walker's team, and hopes he can achieve similar success on home ground with KV.

"I want to thank Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser for the opportunity to continue my career and race in my home country," Tracy said.

"I feel very fortunate to be able to race in front of my hometown fans with a very competitive team. KVRT has shown that it can compete with the top teams in the series and I am confident that we will have strong performances at both the Canadian races."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Luke (PTfan54) will be happy with that one :thumbsup:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

If anyone had the misfortune to see last night's race from Richmond then you'll agree that you witnessed an incredibly dull race. 3 leaders in 300 laps, domination by the Ganassi pairing, followed by Franchitti apologising to the race fans for boring racing. Apparantly all the drivers feel they aren't able to put on a good show for race fans ATM. From what I understand IRL and Honda are developing a push-to-pass type system which will allow drivers an additional 5 horsepower which is the equivelent of 200 revs. Scott Dixon has tested it and said it wasn't game changing.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Push to pass, phooey! Leave it to them to take the gimmicky route instead of addressing the real issue of too much downforce and too little power.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I'm not sure cutting the downforce will fix it, IRL cars (even this generation) have always had bucket loads of downforce and produced good racing in the past.

The problem is everybody knows every little trick about the cars, and the cars are identical, they all run the same speed and there's no disparity between them, so it's impossible to gain that little bit extra somewhere.

They need to look at the aero, give them manual boxes and steel brakes (cos even on short ovals/roadies they've been crap this year as well).
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Ian-S wrote:I'm not sure cutting the downforce will fix it, IRL cars (even this generation) have always had bucket loads of downforce and produced good racing in the past.

The problem is everybody knows every little trick about the cars, and the cars are identical, they all run the same speed and there's no disparity between them, so it's impossible to gain that little bit extra somewhere.

They need to look at the aero, give them manual boxes and steel brakes (cos even on short ovals/roadies they've been crap this year as well).
It just seems from the outside anyway that there's no drivability in those cars anymore. Too much is dependent on the car setup and the driver can't make enough of a difference, like NASCAR at Talladega. Cutting downforce down to where they'd have to slow down in the corners more and adding horsepower to where they'd have some serious wheelspin to deal with getting off the corners would lead to more opportunities for outbraking or outaccelerating someone in the corners. To that effect, your idea about the steel brakes could certainly go a long away but again, they need to have to use the brakes first to begin with. I think even at tracks like Milwaukee, they just lift off a bit and then get right back in it and on most of the 1.5 milers it's just wide open all the way around.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:IRL changes aero to improve racing

By Matt Beer Wednesday, July 1st 2009, 09:32 GMT

The Indy Racing League has announced tweaks to its aerodynamic rules for oval races in a bid to improve the quality of racing in the IndyCar Series.

For the Kentucky event on 1 August, which is the next oval on the schedule after July's trio of road and street courses, the teams will have additional aero options with tyre ramps, sidepod extensions and brake backing plates.

The intention is that these modifications will give the option of adding up to 300 pounds in additional downforce, which the IRL hopes will encourage more overtaking.

Recent processional oval races have come in for increasing criticism, with the nadir being reached at Richmond last weekend when first and second place finishers Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti apologised to the crowd for the lack of entertainment.

The race saw most passes completed in the pits, and the leaders struggling to lap backmarkers whose times were a second slower around the 0.75-mile track. Although the Milwaukee and Iowa events saw more on-track passes, the Kansas, Indianapolis and Texas rounds had also featured very little of the wheel to wheel action for which the championship's superspeedway races used to be renowned.

IRL competition president Brian Barnhart said it was extremely important that the series restored its reputation for close racing.

"We have always prided ourselves on doing our best to create the most entertaining and compelling on-track product in motorsports, and I think in the last several years - especially with this version of race car - we've been very successful in achieving that," he said.

Last weekend at Richmond championship leader Franchitti refuted suggestions that the lack of passing was due to all the teams being so closely matched now that many had six years' experience of the Dallara-Honda package used by all competitors.

"I don't think it's because things have equalised because there were some people out there with horrible handling cars," he said.

"We couldn't get around them. At the start of the run, we'd run 16.8s, then dropped to 17.0s, as the things equalised. And you catch traffic and you'll be running 18.0s and 18.2s on a normal lap."