Champ Car Memories

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Jonathan McLeod

Post by Jonathan McLeod »

Bottom post of the previous page:

As it now looks certain the merger has happened, time to start a thread about the new series?
HC

Post by HC »

We have an IRL thread, Tony will take over CCWS.

I don't feel bad for any rich bastard losing money over it but I'm sure there will be others who will feel it in their pocket. Also I feel sorry for all the people who will be out of a job. The way the CCWS owners handled this whole deal once again proved why they had to make the deal in the first place.

Anyway, more people to pick in the IRL Manager I guess. :smiley:
PTfan54
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by PTfan54 »

All I can say is: What took so fucking long?

I watched CART/Champ Car in all its guises for a while, but around 2005 or 2006 it was clear that the jig was up, and I just stopped watching. Bourdais was dominating, and the rest of the series was predominently no names. I mean, who in the name of Will Power did they have driving in the series? Exactly. The thing that kills me is that CART was a fantastic series for so long, but the beginning of the end was definetly when FedEx, Honda, and Toyota left. It's a relief for me that the series is combined now. Maybe, just maybe, it can reclaim some former glory.
Bernie Ecclestone's Glasses: The Greatest Spectacles in Racing
Truls1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Truls1 »

IRL, Champ Car To Merge

Open-Wheel Racing Leagues Come Together After 13 Years

POSTED: 1:12 pm EST February 19, 2008
UPDATED: 1:20 pm EST February 19, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS -- After 13 years apart, open-wheel racing will once again run as one.

An agreement has been reached between the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series to bring the two sides together for a unified 2008 season, using IndyCar series equipment and rules, 6Sports' Dave Furst reported.

An official announcement is expected on Wednesday. 6Sports first reported on merger talks a few weeks ago.

At the time, the last major hurdle was a conflict during the April 19 race weekend. Champ Car hosts its annual bash in Long Beach that weekend, while the IRL is at the Honda-owned track in Motegi, Japan. That conflict was resolved after Motegi agreed to change its date.

Teams from Champ Car are now scrambling to prepare for new equipment used by the IndyCar series.

The IRL holds an open test at the Homestead Miami Speedway next week. Of the teams expected to switch to the IRL, Newman-Haas Lanigan, Forsythe-Pettit, and PKV are expected to contribute as two-car teams.

6Sports will have more on the merger beginning First At 5:00.

Link: http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/15 ... etail.html
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

at frakking last....
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
CAXEMIRA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CAXEMIRA »

best news i ve read for the last few years ,great news
Dan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dan »

Mightas well toss this article in the mix too. Sounds like KK won't be back for any kind of announcement until Thursday.

IRL closer to deal with Champ Car
Truls1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Truls1 »

Dan wrote:Mightas well toss this article in the mix too. Sounds like KK won't be back for any kind of announcement until Thursday.

Thanks Dan, and welcome onboard :thumbsup:
Last edited by Truls1 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

Some rumours running the forums that GF wants to continue.

If this goes ahead I hope he enjoys the once a month car club.
JCollins28

Post by JCollins28 »

Super Aguri wrote:Some rumours running the forums that GF wants to continue.

If this goes ahead I hope he enjoys the once a month car club.

Trust me when I tell you it's over.
"I'm F**king Ben Affleck."
Joey A.
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Location: Henry County, Georgia - the home of absolutely nothing

Post by Joey A. »

Dan wrote:Mightas well toss this article in the mix too. Sounds like KK won't be back for any kind of announcement until Thursday.

Hey Nisbet, glad to have you onboard :wave:
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!" - Ric Flair
Dan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dan »

Joey A. wrote:

Hey Nisbet, glad to have you onboard :wave:
Thanks Joey! :mrgreen:
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

[quote]-- A deal that would unify America's two open-wheel racing series under the IRL umbrella entered the final stages Thursday.

Talks have centered on a proposal in which some teams from the Champ Car World Series would blend into the Indy Racing League's IndyCar Series. The unification would become one series known as the IndyCar Series, Champ Car spokesman David Higdon said.

"We're closer than we've ever been," Higdon said. "Many of us remain hopeful that it will be completed today and we will be talking about a unified open wheel series tomorrow."

IRL spokesman Fred Nation said there are "four issues they will try to hammer out by the end of the night." He did not identify the issues.

Champ Car series co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven was en route to Indianapolis to meet with IRL founder and Indianapolis Speedway owner Tony George, according to Higdon. Kalkhoven had been in England on family business.

Since the IRL began competing with what was then the established CART series in 1996, the two have gone head to head for drivers, teams, fans, sponsors and TV ratings, generally losing out on all counts.

Things have only gotten worse for both sides in the face of the current U.S. economic woes.

Before the proposed agreement, Champ Car was set to begin its season April 29 at Long Beach, Calif., with no more than 17 cars. The IndyCar Series was in danger of starting its season March 29 at Homestead, Fla., with as few as 16.

With the deal apparently nearing completion, it appeared Wednesday between six and 10 cars from the Champ Car side would take the offer from George of a free Honda engine lease program, free Dallara chassis and $1.2 million in team incentives.

Several Champ Car teams are not expected to take George's offer because, even with the engines, cars and incentives, it would take an additional $2 million or more to compete in the IRL. The teams that don't have the sponsorship or backing to continue will either close down or move to sports car racing, which is less costly.

Obviously, those who would take the deal see it as a winning proposition.

"I believe it would be a stronger series again with a lot of solid events," said Eric Bachelart, a former open-wheel driver and now owner of Conquest Racing in the Champ Car series.
What the IRL has is a good package, with the Indianapolis 500 and some other things that will help attract sponsors. There will be lots of cars, lots of teams. A good show."

Like everyone else involved, though, Bachelart was waiting to hear a confirmation that the deal is done.

"I'm ready to move any time soon and enter two cars in the IRL," Bachelart said. "I believe this is the best option to go that way. And, with Champ Car, it has lost a lot of credibility at this point."

CART went into bankruptcy in January 2004 and was bought by Kalkhoven, Gerald Forsythe and Paul Gentilozzi, all team owners in what is now Champ Car. They have since added Dan Pettit, another team owner, as a partner.

Led by Kalkhoven and Forsythe, Champ Car decided to abandon the traditional open-wheel ovals and focus its efforts on city street races, hoping the carnival atmosphere surrounding these events would assure success, and on racing outside the U.S., away from the IRL.

It worked, to a point. Champ Car's most successful events are the street, airport or road races in Long Beach, Edmonton, Toronto, Australia and Mexico City. And most of the races outside the U.S., including several events in Europe, did make money.

Overall, the series made little impact in America, its home base.

The impending deal is expected to include Long Beach, Edmonton and Australia in 2008, with negotiations for several other current Champ Car events to be added to the IRL schedule in 2009, likely including Toronto and Mexico City.

The unification and addition of the three races would give the IRL a solid 19-race schedule for 2008. Nation said the organization would then take "a clean sheet of paper" in building its 2009 schedule.

Other Champ Car teams expected to make the move include series powerhouse Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing, which has won four straight series championships, Kalkhoven, Pettit and former CART champion Jimmy Vasser's PKV team, Forsythe Championship Racing, Derrick Walker Racing and Dale Coyne Racing. Several others could also be part of the deal.

[/quote
Truls1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Truls1 »

From what I have heard, it is planned to reveal the merge between the two series on Monday.

We'll see..
Dan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dan »

Yeah, might not be an announcement today...
Merger Talks Update for Thursday Night

Story posted - Feb 22 2008 2:51 AM

The IRL sent the following information at 11:15pm (ET)

The following statement was issued tonight jointly by the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series:

"The ongoing talks between the Indy Racing League and Champ Car World Series will continue into at least Friday in regards to the unification of open-wheel racing. Any confirmation of unification will be made once an agreement is in place. There are no plans for a news conference at this time. Much progress has been made toward unifying the sport."
JCollins28

Post by JCollins28 »

Dan wrote:Yeah, might not be an announcement today...
Merger Talks Update for Thursday Night

Story posted - Feb 22 2008 2:51 AM

The IRL sent the following information at 11:15pm (ET)

The following statement was issued tonight jointly by the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series:

"The ongoing talks between the Indy Racing League and Champ Car World Series will continue into at least Friday in regards to the unification of open-wheel racing. Any confirmation of unification will be made once an agreement is in place. There are no plans for a news conference at this time. Much progress has been made toward unifying the sport."
Still some sticky points on Long Beach. Nothing that is going to be a deal breaker though. With the weekend to iron out the finer details announcement should come out on Monday.
"I'm F**king Ben Affleck."