Champ Car Memories

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Amazing CC Fans on Speed TV Forums too.
Well, I guess I will not be renewing my Toronto tickets then, because it looks like that'll be a waste of my money......

Oh, and KK, I hope you like failing. I also hope you like having every CC fan after your ass for the rest of your time in US motorsports. Sell your squad to Vasser if you don't want to be the single most hated man in American racing. Like, right now. Seriously. If you're at Mosport, I'm gonna make a concerted effort to spit in your face. You've earned it. That same goes to Paulie G-string and Dan Grim Reaper Pettit. I hope you all rot, because you didn't just let us down, you did what TG couldn't do. Nice job, you losers.

Oh, and the first IRL diehard who pokes fun at us CC fans about it is gonna get it.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

He's taken it rather well hasn't he :wow:
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

[CCFanatic]The latest by FRM[/CCFanatic]

It’s just past midnight on Valentine’s Day and my phone has not rang for almost 30 minutes. Since last Friday, when my story broke on the latest and most serious attempt to put open wheel racing under one roof, it’s almost been like a non-stop, information hot line.

Me seeking it and others wanting to know the latest.

For a while it was fun, getting tips, checking them out, tracking people down and generally being more and more optimistic this time it was actually going to happen. It’s always kinda fun when you’re working on a scoop, especially when it’s a topic directly connected to your passion and your life.

It’s also fun to see fans, racing people and other reporters react and, as always when we talk unification, the wave of euphoria is tempered by skepticism.

But, a week into what we’d all hoped was going to be the best story of the decade, it’s not so much fun anymore.

The phone calls haven’t stopped, they’ve just taken on a different tone. Somewhere between confused and frustrated and angry.
Champ Car drivers, mechanics, engineers, staffers and, yes, even owners want to know what in the hell is going on?

In the past 24 hours I’ve heard:
Gerry Forsythe has decided to keep Champ Car going without Kevin Kalkhoven.
Forsythe is buying all of Derrick Walker’s equipment because he’s going to have to field at least six cars to make sure there’s a dozen on the grid.
Kalkhoven and Craig Gore, the co-owner of Team Australia who still owes Derrick Walker a fortune from 2007, are going to run a team in the Indy Racing League.

Kalkhoven owns the majority rights to Long Beach so he’ll still cut a deal with George to have the IRL there in April and Motegi will be postponed until 2009.

Champ Car will show up at Long Beach for the season opener, then disband and join Tony George’s series at Indianapolis.

The four Champ Car owners will have a conference call on Friday to decide their fate.

They’ve already decided to file for bankruptcy but, for some reason, they’re dragging their feet.

Now mind you this stuff didn’t come from my imagination or one of those chat rooms, these different scenarios came directly from various CC owners, workers and drivers.

And that’s why this thing is becoming kinda pathetic, if not sad.

The lack of communication from Kalkhoven and Forsythe to the other owners and their employees is disengenous, unprofessional and Enron like in its insulting silence.

Nobody in the Champ Car office knew anything about a potential takeover by the IRL until most read it on SPEEDTV.com and some really good people have gone to work every day this week like somebody on Death Row.

One would at least think Paul Newman and Carl Haas had earned the right to be in the loop but they get no information. Ditto for Keith Wiggins, Eric Bachelart, Tom Figge, Dale Coyne and Walker.

Bachelart, who would mortgage his home and probably has to keep his team going, went out and spent $1 million recently on a spare car and other bits. Then, he learned his “leaders” were in the process of shutting down and making a deal with George.

Bachelart found out because I told him.

Kalkhoven and Forsythe have spent millions keeping CC afloat since 2004 so a million dollars in nothing to them but it’s hard-earned for Bachelart and the least they could have done was keep their fellow owners apprised of what they were thinking. Incredibly, they paid a visit to Bachelart a couple weeks ago to tell him everything was fine and, in turn, he went on a teleconference and said he believed in them.

Believing either one of them, separately or together, is becoming increasingly difficult.

In a stretch of 12 hours last week, Kalkhoven said he and Gerry were 100 percent together on going with George in 2008 providing Long Beach was in play; then he denied there was ever a deal; declared that Motegi wasn’t going to change its date to appease Long Beach so the unification plan was over; and then said everything was on hold until Motegi agreed to cooperate.

We don’t know if Forsythe would have approved a deal without some buyout because he seldom returns phone calls or speaks publicly. But a year ago at this time he vowed to only run one car unless he got sponsorship and, naturally, he wound up fielding two cars with no sponsorship. Now, still with no sponsors in sight, he might be considering paying for the whole series? That sounds as far-fetched as a guy spending $25 million to come to only three races.

Dan Jones sure has a tough time believing them. After their leaky, sticky and faulty fuel systems failed on their new Panoz cars early last season, Jones’ company was contracted to save them. Now Jones is a well-liked, smart racer who is universally respected. He busted his ass and got every car fixed in time for Portland and they performed flawlessly the rest of 2007. His reward? His $300,000 bill has never been paid. He borrowed money to make payroll and is nearly out of business. He finally sued Champ Car last week.

On the flip side of this madness is TGeorge.

It would appear he’s acting in good faith, based on the information we’ve been presented. He said early on that unification was “closer than ever before” yet there were still obstacles but if the Long Beach/Motegi problem got solved, he was optimistic. He flew to Japan last weekend to try and reach a compromise with the Honda brass.

We don’t know what was decided but, obviously, George isn’t going to re-schedule or postpone his race at Motegi until he sees what Champ Car is doing.

He’s flown to England for Scott Dixon’s wedding this weekend and some people are shocked he left the country with open wheel’s future seemingly up in the air.

But maybe he already knows something. Or maybe he just knows who he’s dealing with.
JCollins28

Post by JCollins28 »

Bottom line, Tony George trying to unify the sport is like a guy trying to apologize to someone he just murdered.
"I'm F**king Ben Affleck."
Shane
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Shane »

JCollins28 wrote:Bottom line, Tony George trying to unify the sport is like a guy trying to apologize to someone he just murdered.
lmao, damn straight.
North American Open Wheel Racing Purist.
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

JCollins28 wrote:Bottom line, Tony George trying to unify the sport is like a guy trying to apologize to someone he just murdered.
Thats the CC fans bottom line. The bottom line to everyone else is Tony George caused the problem, but has created a series from scratch. The CCWS owners couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and took a successful series to failure in a very short time span.
TheRacingLine.net
RacingLineDevelopments.com
Race2Play.com
JCollins28

Post by JCollins28 »

ellis wrote:
Thats the CC fans bottom line. The bottom line to everyone else is Tony George caused the problem, but has created a series from scratch. The CCWS owners couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and took a successful series to failure in a very short time span.
The CCWS owners took a successful series to failure? You do remember they purchased a bankrupt CART series right? While Tony George has pissed away the Indy 500 which now plays second fiddle to the freakin Daytona 500?
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

JCollins28 wrote:
ellis wrote:
The CCWS owners took a successful series to failure? You do remember they purchased a bankrupt CART series right? While Tony George has pissed away the Indy 500 which now plays second fiddle to the freakin Daytona 500?
Yeah, Tony G plays second fiddle to the "freakin" Daytona 500, and CCWS plays 74th fiddle to a Formula Ford Brands Hatch double header.

and yes. CCWS came in with all the big tracks and events (Except the 500), all the big teams etc, and pissed it all away through management that could have been improved on had they asked pre-school children for advice.
TheRacingLine.net
Race2Play.com
JCollins28

Post by JCollins28 »

ellis wrote:
JCollins28 wrote:
ellis wrote:
Yeah, Tony G plays second fiddle to the "freakin" Daytona 500, and CCWS plays 74th fiddle to a Formula Ford Brands Hatch double header.

and yes. CCWS came in with all the big tracks and events (Except the 500), all the big teams etc, and pissed it all away through management that could have been improved on had they asked pre-school children for advice.
LOL you know whats so funny about the pro Tony George fans? Rather then just sucking it up saying, yes 13 some odd years ago he made a HUGE error one that will go down in the record books. You guys always have to spin it into how everyone else has f*cked everything up except Tony. You know what I doubt you will find one CART/CHAMP CAR fan that will defend the actions of Andrew Craig, Chris Pook or the recent action of the current owners like you guys defend the boy king.

Although it is kind of fitting that you follow the same type of ego and greed motto that the IRL was founded upon. So guy ahead and kneel down before the gene pool wonder boy that saved us all from those evil ride buyin furreners and those race tracks with right turns. Indy IS SAFE!!!
HC

Post by HC »

Don't see Dave saying anything about Tony. He's just saying that CART did something wrong since they started with a fantastic series in 1996, only to go bankrupt eight years later.

Anyway, keep it civilized.
ellis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ellis »

Not only have I ripped into Tony George on many occasions and blamed him directly for the problems caused in open wheel racing, to suggest I am a fan of him is nothing but rubbish.

Until the end of 2006 I was a firm CCWS fan. However unlike most CCWS fans, I was not going to blindly support them whilst they raped the series, pissed all over it and then set it on fire, all the time whilst bitching about the big bad IRL Series as the evil Hitler that runs it. I look at things realistically. For example -

Tony George - Good at running series, but caused all the problems
CCWS Management - Terrible at running a series, but are the good guys morally.

Now, when I say good guys morally, I mainly mean Kevin, as we all know that Gerrys commitment is so low that he can't even be bothered to bring his ass to races anymore, nevermind do anything for the series that he co-owns that might actually help it for a change. And of course, why even talk about the 3rd wheel, he only has a tiny little bit ownership of CCWS just to stroke his ego.

So yeah, to sum it up - how about reading peoples posts and opinions rather than just assuming that anyone who isn't willing to pleasure the CCWS bosses is actually a Tony George fan. That kind of attitude is the one found at CCF (which barely qualifies as a forum now days, more of a rant spot for bitter 15 year olds) rather than an internet forum where people could actually discuss things like grown ups, heaven forbid.

My points stand. Tony George caused all the issues, however he built a series from nothing but 1 race. CART are morally the good guys, but had the advantage of an already functioning series, with teams, cars, circuits, publicity, and it stayed that way for many years. They made a series of mistakes, died, and it was bought out by a group of team owners who really don't have the ability to run a series. Whilst they morally may be in the right, that will be little cosolation when the series has died, the teams have left and Gerry is rocking back on his porch complaining about how evil Tony George is. Tony George is throwing CCWS a life line and whilst operation under his rule is far from ideal, it is a far better prospect than allowing CCWS to die and have a whole series of contractual issues screwing the teams and events which stayed faithful towards it. Whilst Tony George is far from the good guy, it seems only CCWS fans are unable to admit that once, just once, Tony George IS doing something which benefits open wheel racing, and racing in general, even if it is just for his benefit.
TheRacingLine.net
Race2Play.com
JCollins28

Post by JCollins28 »

ellis wrote:You know whats funny about you CCWS fans? You talk and think you know everything, when in reality some reading might go a long way.
You really have no idea who you are talking to. Look last time I looked this forum was the "Champ Car News and Discussion" forum. If you are looking for words of encouragement for Tony George you may want to look here.

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=8073
ellis wrote:Whilst Tony George is far from the good guy, it seems only CCWS fans are unable to admit that once, just once, Tony George IS doing something which benefits open wheel racing, and racing in general, even if it is just for his benefit.
Again that brings me back to what I said originally that started this little debate between us.

Bottom line, Tony George trying to unify the sport is like a guy trying to apologize to someone he just murdered.

Have a nice day. :wave:
Shane
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Shane »

How has Tony George created a good series? Nobody is watching it and nobody shows up for the races. The series has no plan for the future.
Has anyone given any other reason why George should be in charge besides the fact that he owns Indy? Besides inheriting everything he has what has he done for the sport besides become one of the main reasons why the sport is so ****ed up? What has he done with the IRL to prove that he has what it takes to lead and grow the sport? Nothing, nothing at all.

Im not compareing CC and the IRL. It isint about "well what has (insert name here) done compared to (insert name here)?"

Tony George being slightly less of a retard compared to others does not make him the lord and saviour of the sport.
Its like I keep saying, if you are dead set on compareing the two of course some will pick Tony. Because CC leadership sucks clearly the IRL leadership must be in charge because in comparison they are "smarter". Clearly the retarded guy is better suited to be leading the sport compared to the brain dead guy.

Awesome choices.

The man has done nothing to prove he is capable besides holding the sport hostage because he owns Indy. If that is proof that he should be in charge, im following ALMS.
North American Open Wheel Racing Purist.
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

*Game over*
Robin Miller wrote:Most Champ Car teams were told to quit working on their Panoz chassis Monday and expect delivery of their new cars in a few days. Paul Tracy is coming to Indianapolis later this week for a seat fitting. And one of Champ Car’s co-owners admitted to a fellow owner there would only be one series in 2008.

After 12 years of warring that cost open-wheel racing much of its sponsorship, audience and momentum, common sense has finally prevailed.

SPEEDtv.com has learned that the Indy Racing League and Champ Car have officially, and mercifully, agreed to become one entity. A press conference could come as early as Wednesday if Kevin Kalkhoven is back from England in time.

Following nearly two weeks of negotiations between Tony George, Gerry Forsythe and Kalkhoven, an agreement is in place to bring several Champ Car teams and a handful of races into the IRL domain. It’s believed attorneys from both sides worked all weekend to finalize some kind of arrangement for the two men who claimed CART’s assets in bankruptcy court in 2004.

George, who started the IRL in 1996 when CART was in its heyday, would not confirm any deal when contacted late Monday night. “While it is true that I continue to believe we at the threshold of something long-overdue, we have not yet stepped across it,” he said.

But all signs point to this tumultuous chapter of American motorsports finally being closed.

“I’m supposed to fly in Indy later this week to get fitted for a seat and then we’re going to have to thrash to make it to the first test in Homestead,” said Tracy, the winningest active driver in Champ Car and its premier personality. “We don’t have any experience with those Dallaras and we’re going to need all the practice we can get but this is definitely the best thing that can happen for open-wheel racing.”

The IRL’s first open test is on the oval at Homestead, Fla. on Feb. 27-28.

Mike Lanigan, who co-owns a two-car CC effort with Paul Newman and Carl Haas in addition to promoting races at Houston and Cleveland, said he spoke with Forsythe on Sunday evening.

“Gerry indicated we were likely looking at one series,” said Lanigan, a Chicago native who started out sponsoring cars at the Indianapolis 500 in the early ‘90s. “I’m hoping to talk to Tony (George) about considering our two races, but having a unified series is certainly what everybody wants to see.”

Derrick Walker, a regular in Champ Car since 1991, said he expected “we should all hear something positive Tuesday or Wednesday” while Conquest Racing owner Eric Bachelart was asked whether he’d be in Champ Car, the IRL or one series this year.

“I think I will be in a unified series,” he replied.

George’s offer of free cars and engines, plus $1.2 million for any team able to compete the entire season, is expected to add a minimum of eight cars to the IRL grid in 2008.

Newman/Haas/Lanigan (two), PKV (two), Forsythe (two), Walker (one) and Conquest (one) are definites, while Dale Coyne is likely to field at least one car in ‘08, although he couldn’t be reached for comment on Monday. Minardi Team USA principal Paul Stoddart is a question mark, although partner Keith Wiggins may try to strike out on his own with one car. RocketSports is unknown while Pacific Coast Motorsports is believed to be headed to the ALMS.

With the IRL car count at 16, this would give open-wheel its largest fields since earlier this decade.

It also appears the Long Beach/Motegi conflict has been worked out. Earlier this month, George and Kalkhoven admitted there could not be unification unless Long Beach could be added to the IRL schedule and remain on its original date—April 20, the same weekend as Motegi. George and Honda’s Robert Clarke flew to Japan to meet with Honda of Japan (Motegi’s owners) and returned using “optimistic” quotes.

The fast, challenging airport circuit at Edmonton, which drew a legitimate 175,000-200,000 people during its first three years, will likely find a place on the IRL schedule as well. And Surfer’s Paradise, Australia was also being heavily considered.

It would bring the combined schedule to 19 races for 2008 and George is likely to consider other Champ Car circuits like Toronto or Mexico City for 2009.
If Paul fucking Tracy, the man with the most experience of CART\CCWS of any participant, is saying that, it's over.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

So that's it then, the end of CCWS and IRL as separate series. :whistling:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Jonathan McLeod

Post by Jonathan McLeod »

As it now looks certain the merger has happened, time to start a thread about the new series?