Champ Car Memories

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
HC

Post by HC »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Honda's Clarke optimistic of merger

By Steven English Tuesday, February 12th 2008, 11:03 GMT

Senior Honda advisor Robert Clarke is optimistic that an agreement on the Indy Racing League's proposed merger with Champ Car will be reached after promising talks were held in Japan yesterday.

IRL officials were hoping to convince the Japanese manufacturer to agree to move the race at its Motegi circuit to another date, to allow the Champ Car round at Long Beach on April 19 to be incorporated into the IRL schedule.

American newspaper the Indianapolis Star today suggested that Honda have accepted one of IRL boss Tony George's suggestions for a rescheduled event, after Clarke told them: "It was a good meeting. I don't see any reason not to be optimistic."

Clarke refused to confirm that any deal had been reached, saying that George must answer the questions.

But the series boss gave no further comment to the Indy Star than "nothing is going to happen quickly, if at all."

George is due back in America later today to discuss the result of the meeting in Japan with other senior IRL and Champ Car officials.

Source: Autosport
Another website is reporting that the meeting was indeed successful.
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

JCollins28 wrote:HOLD THE PRESS!!!!!

they were just told that 08 WILL roll forward, no BK.

but it does look like PKV, Walker to ICS is for real.

12 cars and highlight shows.....lol what a joke!
Oh well, I hope paper,,,,,,, and company enjoy another year of shit served straight up to them by CC.

12 cars? LOL.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

6 more than Indianapolis 2005..... :haha:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

erwin greven wrote:6 more than Indianapolis 2005..... :haha:
At least the F1 Indy 05 was just for the 1 race.

I'm going to love watching the CC management spin how twelve cars is a good thing as with the TV Schedule.

Isn't there for some tracks a 16 car minimum or the race can't take place.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

PKV is Patrck-Kalkhoven-Vasser right? And KK is one of the champ car owners. So why would his team be in IRL? So it's a definite merger for '09 then?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

For all we know at this time KK could be out of CC.

All thats left now is for the CC management team to mis-manage their way into oblivion.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

So the "war" is finally over then... :smiley:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
JCollins28

Post by JCollins28 »

What we re finally seeing in public is the dynamics of what Gentilousy part is in the ownership group. Both KK and Forsythe has used PG as a swing vote to push their own agenda. In the past PG was firmly in KK's pocket. Somewhere around two years ago the tide shifted and Forsythe started to use PG to his advantage. KK is clearly the out man out and has been for awhile now.

His actions today IMO is nothing more then a power play against Forsythe and PG. Once other teams get news of this I really doubt they will stay in CC. GF and PG will have no choice but to side with KK and BK CHAMP CAR. That is the way I see this playing out.
"I'm F**king Ben Affleck."
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

I used to watch both series regularly, but ever since 2006 they've bothed bored me to tears (especially the IRL, which I found incredibly dull last year).

Hopefully reuniting will just get the focus back onto giving the fans an entertaining, politics-free racing series with a healthy car count, varied calendar and a talented selection of drivers.
Shane
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Shane »

Cheeveer wrote:

PKV is Patrck-Kalkhoven-Vasser right? And KK is one of the champ car owners. So why would his team be in IRL? So it's a definite merger for '09 then?
Not quite but who knows. Kalkhoven was out done by a powerplay move done by Forsythe with the aid of PG. That is why there will be a CC in 08.
North American Open Wheel Racing Purist.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

It would be a sad day if ChampCar did finally die, but I'm pretty sure it's the best for US Open Wheel racing.
Autosport.com wrote:Walker predicts the end of Champ Car

By Steven English Wednesday, February 13th 2008, 11:14 GMT

Team owner Derrick Walker predicts that Champ Car is close to the end, amid rumours that series bosses are planning to file for bankruptcy.

Negotiations are ongoing between senior Champ Car and Indy Racing League officials to reach an agreement on a merger between the two, but Walker isn't convinced Champ Car can survive if the amalgamation doesn't go ahead.

He told the Associated Press: "It has all the makings of the end of Champ Car. I don't know how it's going to be done, but I think Champ Car is going to shut down."

But Champ Car executive vice president David Higdon denied that the series is shutting down: "We've been hearing these rumours since Friday and, as we've continued to say, our doors are open and people are working.

"We are proceeding with our plans and will keep operating as Champ Car."

Walker claimed several teams have not received last year's prize money, and decided not to field his cars in the first pre-season test at Sebring last week, instead choosing to start work on switching his team to IRL for this season.

"About a month ago there were several teams that had never been paid prize money, I don't know whether that was resolved," he said.

"My truck was on its way to Sebring and I turned it round because nobody in Champ Car could tell me what was going on. We've put our energy into IRL and will work toward that until someone can show me that Champ Car is really going to happen.

"I'm praying for a merger but you have to be careful what you wish for. It costs about $1.3 million to show up for the IRL races so that's the money we've got to find."

There have been no developments on the proposed merger since IRL boss Tony George returned from talks with Honda in Japan yesterday. He was hoping to move to date of the Motegi round on April 19 to allow the Champ Car race at Long Beach on April 20 to be added to the IRL schedule.

IRL spokesman John Griffin last night said: "Our executive team got back from Japan earlier today and we continue to work and see what we can accomplish here in the immediate future."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

If Champ Car dies, then will all the Champ Car fans have to watch IRL? From what I hear, IRL doesn't have much of a following :huh:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

IRL does have a bigger following than CCWS. (Proven by TV ratings, Website hits, etc, some IRL Races beat CC in spectators and some CC beat IRL.) And No, most CC Fanatics will not watch the IRL.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Stubborn bitches.

OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

They will spend the rest of their lives bitter and conceited at the IRL and posting about it on their forum. And maybe sending continual e-mails to Don Panoz to get him to use the DP-01s.

If the forum stays alive, that is. There's a rumour that says Gentilozzi was paying their server bills as long as they remained 'champcarfanatics.com' and not 'crapwagon.com'. Now that they're in full-out flame mode, their financial backer may not be so willing to pay those bills.
Super Aguri
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Super Aguri »

Amazing CC Fans on Speed TV Forums too.
Well, I guess I will not be renewing my Toronto tickets then, because it looks like that'll be a waste of my money......

Oh, and KK, I hope you like failing. I also hope you like having every CC fan after your ass for the rest of your time in US motorsports. Sell your squad to Vasser if you don't want to be the single most hated man in American racing. Like, right now. Seriously. If you're at Mosport, I'm gonna make a concerted effort to spit in your face. You've earned it. That same goes to Paulie G-string and Dan Grim Reaper Pettit. I hope you all rot, because you didn't just let us down, you did what TG couldn't do. Nice job, you losers.

Oh, and the first IRL diehard who pokes fun at us CC fans about it is gonna get it.