[IRL/FIL] 2008 Season

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
HC

Post by HC »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Castroneves is off to find a fence, what a strange turn off events. Certainly ends the season in style.
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

Helio wins by 1-ten-thousandth of a second.

Dixon was given the win because of the transponder locations.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

What a bizarre ending to close the season. In a way appropriate I suppose. Good to see Dixon close the title with a strong effort, I assume the points gap is more than ten points now and therefore the controversy from last weekend becomes trivial. A heroic drive from Castroneves today nevertheless, he did what he could but it just wasn't enough for the title.
aewallace81

Post by aewallace81 »

Great job Scott :thumbsup:
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

That was a GOOD race. IRL as it used to be, side-by-side lap after lap. I don't get it.. the pictures showed Helio as being ahead at the finish.. so what the heck went down with the timing for them to give it to Scott?

Seems like in recent seasons, whoever wins the Championship pretty much gets a package deal with it, winning the Indy 500 and the most races, etc. Nice job by Scott.. and is his wife a looker or what. :D
Chocmonster

Post by Chocmonster »

There was some amazing racing in between the yellow flag periods, well done Scott and Helio for keeping it clean. :thumbsup:

Loved the fact that Milka lead for a while and Wheldon putting a pie in Dixon's face in celebration! :haha:
HC

Post by HC »

Hey Emma, welcome To The Fastlane!

I'm Pim from the MotorsTV forum. :wave:
Chocmonster

Post by Chocmonster »

Hello Pim! I found this place via the TBK forum, nice to know there are some friendly faces around! :happy:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
goose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by goose »

I only caught the last few laps, and I was stoked for Helio. His reaction when told he'd won it was priceless, almost as good as his reaction in the pits after the penalty last time out.

Has anyone else from Australia claimed Dixon as Australian yet? He was born here!
"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."
- MW
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

OSNOF wrote:Helio wins by 1-ten-thousandth of a second.
Just found this picture on Crash.net.

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Amazing finish, in the end i watched more IRL than the Tennis because it was so nerve wracking!

Never paid much attention to Helio in the past few years, but the last 2 races he seems to be a really likeable guy that is in motorsport for love and to give the fans what they want, was really impressed with his high and low reactions.
OSNOF
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OSNOF »

kals wrote:
OSNOF wrote:Helio wins by 1-ten-thousandth of a second.
Just found this picture on Crash.net.

Yeah, that was just an early rumour. The real gap was 0.0033 seconds. Not even the closest in IRL history.
bbgunn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bbgunn »

It was the 2nd closest finish in IRL history. The first was Sam Hornish vs Al Unser Jr. Chicagoland 2002 (I think). By the way, Helio was given credit for winning the race.
Dixon won the championship by 17 points.
:smiley:
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Edwin! wrote:Amazing finish, in the end i watched more IRL than the Tennis because it was so nerve wracking!

Never paid much attention to Helio in the past few years, but the last 2 races he seems to be a really likeable guy that is in motorsport for love and to give the fans what they want, was really impressed with his high and low reactions.
Helio is awesome.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Milka Duno led more laps than Danica Patrick this season. The definition of awesomeness.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***