Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago Just saw the highlights only but bit puzzled by Johnson's heavy defense on Grosjean. He was a lap down according to the scoring chart, so why defend so aggressively?

I guess the answer is he's still so deep in the water just trying to keep an Indycar in control that he doesn't have any mental reserves left to be aware of lead lap cars closing up on him.
Nah.

His team told him to do it over the radio, to defend Palou from Grosjean to maximise points.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago Just saw the highlights only but bit puzzled by Johnson's heavy defense on Grosjean. He was a lap down according to the scoring chart, so why defend so aggressively?

I guess the answer is he's still so deep in the water just trying to keep an Indycar in control that he doesn't have any mental reserves left to be aware of lead lap cars closing up on him.
Nah.

His team told him to do it over the radio, to defend Palou from Grosjean to maximise points.
Deliberate violation of blue flag rules? :huh:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago

Nah.

I know JJ's crew told him to be difficult but I thought JJ was a bit out of order..... mind you Romain says he came from a long way back, and had made up his mind he was comin' through!

JJ FWIW thought he was in for a penalty.....
The most dramatic moment of his race came when he collided with seven-time NASCAR Cup champion Jimmie Johnson at the Corkscrew in the closing laps of the race, both admitting they were fortunate to continue as Grosjean’s car briefly went airborne.

“I'm sorry we made contact with Jimmie,” said Grosjean. “I was definitely going in! I think Jimmie probably didn't see me. He was pushing hard to protect [second-placed team-mate] Alex [Palou] from me, which is the game. So we made a bit of contact.”

Johnson’s main concern was that he might receive a penalty for the clash, despite being on the receiving end of it as he was punted across the middle apex of the corner and missed the transponder on the corner. But Johnson continued to finish 17th of the 27-car field, a lap down on the leaders, which is his best result in the series to date.

“I thought our day was over,” admitted Johnson of the collision with Grosjean. “I couldn’t believe he threw it in that late on me. Luckily we both saved it!

“I thought I’d lost my wrist too, as the [steering] wheel went whipping around. I was worried about a penalty, but instead we got a career-best finish.”

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago

Nah.

You don't have to move over for blue flags in Indycar. They're simply there to indicate that the car behind is lapping you.

It's up to the lapper car to get ahead of the lappee if the lappee doesn't like you.

Personally, I wish it was that way in F1. Would make for far better races at the front. Can you imagine Monaco?!?

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Unlike European racing series where the blue flags means "Get the **** out of the way right now", here the blue flag is more a case of "Hey, leaders behind you, you know, in case you wanna, I don't know, let them by. Or don't. We're fine either way".

And as well what Monte said just above.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Well, I'll be! I always figured that with Indycar being so Euro-centric / F1 Lite-like for the most part that they'd have incorporated that little rule too (Blue flag = move over or else...)

@MonteCristo It sure would be interesting. But realistically, it probably wouldn't do much as there's really nothing in it for the driver to not go a lap down other than pride. At the end of the SC, they get waved around back to the lead lap anyway the past few years, NASCAR style. And if they took out a leader trying to stay on the lead lap, they'd be afraid of being remembered as the next Salazar.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago. And if they took out a leader trying to stay on the lead lap, they'd be afraid of being remembered as the next Salazar.
Or the next Esteban Ocon :wink:
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Quite a racy first lap for Scotty Mac....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Quite a racy first lap for Scotty Mac....
Oh man, when he was on the outside of Hinch... I was thinking "RIP".