2021 R11: Nasville Big Machine Music City Grand Prix

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Hopefully the yellow will help Ericsson to save fuel and make his rubber last.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

a (near) flip and win! impressive drive by ericcson!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Thoughts:

Well, that was ... crazy.

I both love and hate the track. With some tweaks, it could be epic.

Penske...? What Penske? An awful weekend for them.

Speaking of awful, a horrible weekend for Palou and O'Ward. Good for the championship.

Hinch podiums!

Ericsson is surely just shaking his head.

Herta binning it reminded me of Allmendinger at... San Jose 2005? ... He was distraught.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Herta was trying so hard to finish his race early there..... and he managed it. It was his for the taking and he, well, he blew it.
Happy for Ericsson though.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Dare I say Ericsson is looking better than Rosenqvist with that Ganassi equipment.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago Dare I say Ericsson is looking better than Rosenqvist with that Ganassi equipment.
Agreed. Ive been quietly impressed with ME of late.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I missed the first few laps and the Marcus Air Show but watched it later on replay. Cant believe Marcus didnt bend the car in that so end of day it as a fortunate win for him. Still not sure if he jumped the gun or those in front backed up at the last minute. But he took the penalty which was fair enough.

But what was Will power up to? From what I saw he wont be in the Captains best books today as he seemed to pick on team cars to hit. Scotty was very diplomatic about it after but I guess his day was done long before Will got to him.
Herta coulda shoulda won but man he was on the edge at the end and it was more looking like a when rather than an if the wall and. he would get together.

Really not sure of this track. Too narrow, too bumpy and just too many yellows as a result. And once Herta was out another case of throw a red for a last minute couple of laps for the TV. Dont like that. I would have been pissed if Dixon had got ahead of ME at the final restart. Is that an idea they got from F1 at Baku (where it worked) or has it always been the way with Indycars?

I would not have been happy if I had got u at 4 am for that, with all the yellows, so a daylight (for me) start was the one thing going for it.

The best part for me though was Dixon did not win though Marcus was as said very fortunate if not lucky. An aerial, exhibition, a sto for repairs and a penalty to boot.

Yeah a bit lucky. But a day to prove "to finish first, first you have to finish".

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago And once Herta was out another case of throw a red for a last minute couple of laps for the TV. Dont like that. I would have been pissed if Dixon had got ahead of ME at the final restart. Is that an idea they got from F1 at Baku (where it worked) or has it always been the way with Indycars?
It's been more prevalent in Indycar in recent years, but on ovals mostly. You know, the whole green/white checkers thing (blame NASCAR to begin with!).

But I agree. It was entirely unnecessary.

Can *totally* understand the earlier one with the blocked track. But the Herta one was stupid.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

What the actual fuck was that race. First half was a travesty. Huge potential with Nashville and the circuit with some modifications.

Wooooo, Marcus, though! Leading the series in points since Indy.

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

The only change I'd make to the circuit is turning off the bridge straightway a block later than they do, that would take care of the narrow section over the river. The rest of the track is wide enough imo. And move the startline of course, that said a lot is due to the restart procedure as well. Because why the drivers can't be in formation way earlier than the final straight is beyond me.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Michkov wrote: 2 years ago The only change I'd make to the circuit is turning off the bridge straightway a block later than they do, that would take care of the narrow section over the river. The rest of the track is wide enough imo. And move the startline of course, that said a lot is due to the restart procedure as well. Because why the drivers can't be in formation way earlier than the final straight is beyond me.
Where would you move the startline? To the start of the bridge, or the return leg?

The corner off the first leg of the bridge is very bumpy and could use a bit more runoff on the exit (as Herta found out!).

The return over the bridge, however, is lovely and wide. And I think the corner after it has a small run as well, so they could sort themselves out between those two corners.

Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

My family...wife & two adult sons neither of whom have obtained their driver's licence nor show any inclination to do so...have not the slightest interest in motorsports. Perhaps I should have those two guys checked for my DNA contribution. Hmmm...

Anyway, to my point... I showed them all the start of the Indycar race at Nashville from the highlight reel with the field running over the bridge and I must say with some satisfaction that they were all truly impressed. Additionally, with the early launch of Ericsson over another car and the obvious damage, for him to turn this around into a victory had one son say, "NO WAY!!!" :)
Miles to go B4 I sleep
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago The corner off the first leg of the bridge is very bumpy and could use a bit more runoff on the exit (as Herta found out!).
I'd call that the return, but lets go with your definitions. About the height where the two legs on bridge join. Enough space for the starter stand and enough time for the field to bunch up over the bridge. Although the short run into the new T1 would be a bit worrisome if the Finish line is beyond the braking point for the corner.
The return over the bridge, however, is lovely and wide. And I think the corner after it has a small run as well, so they could sort themselves out between those two corners.
Would only work but without modifying the southern loop you are running the full field into the narrowest section of the track.