Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago I've gotta say that was one of the best Indy 500's ever. Fast, safe, lots of overtaking, lots of different strategies, tense finish, a popular winner, lowest number of cautions in modern times. Damn good stuff.
The first third or so was rather boring. Usually there is more going on. Not many retirements at all (crashes or mechanical).

But the final third was electric. It was was terrific racing.

Oh, and to think the first time he "won" he was booed!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Meanwhile, we can thank Wilson for making the championship interesting.

1 Alex Palou 248
2 Scott Dixon 212
3 Patricio O'Ward 211
4 Simon Pagenaud 201
5 Rinus VeeKay 191
6 Josef Newgarden 184
7 Colton Herta 154

I can also see Helio trying to find money for the rest of the season.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

The full results

Seemed a few had issues with no brakes on entry to pitlane.... I suspect that some teams are doing something to reduce brake friction when the cars are on track to increase speed and this is one of the downsides of the system. Drivers who fell foul of brake issues complained of arriving at the pit entrance , needing to scrub off speed to reach the pit lane limit, and suffering a long brake pedal and then the rears locking causing them to spin. Others, such as Scotty Mac did not spin, but instead could not get down to the 50mph limit and got pinged for speeding resulting in a drive through penalty.

Shame for Scott as until that hiccup towards the end of the race he was running round the top 10. Still, he managed to finish 20th and with it take best rookie honours, but a simple error he will take on board for the future.

The other issue that took out a couple of fancied runners was the timing of Wilson's crash in pitlane and subsequent pit lane closure coming right on their refuelling planned stops, meaning they ended up running dry in pitlane and then being unable to restart their engines. Dixon and Rossi were the frontrunners who suffered, both going a lap down on a day where there were too few FCY's to help their then needed strategies.

On that note anyone know what the least number of FCYs at the Indy 500? This race must be up there with those with limited FCYs

Results: 105th Indianapolis 500

Pos Num Name Laps Diff Gap Engine Team
1 06 Helio Castroneves 200 Honda Meyer Shank Racing
2 10 Alex Palou 200 0.4928 0.4928 Honda Chip Ganassi Racing
3 22 Simon Pagenaud 200 0.5626 0.0698 Chevy Team Penske
4 5 Pato O’Ward 200 0.9409 0.3783 Chevy Arrow McLaren SP
5 20 Ed Carpenter 200 1.2424 0.3015 Chevy Ed Carpenter Racing
6 45 Santino Ferrucci 200 9.0876 7.8452 Honda Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing
7 24 Sage Karam 200 13.4359 4.3483 Chevy Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
8 21 Rinus VeeKay 200 14.2415 0.8056 Chevy Ed Carpenter Racing
9 86 Juan Pablo Montoya 200 14.8808 0.6393 Chevy Arrow McLaren SP
10 48 Tony Kanaan 200 15.4428 0.5620 Honda Chip Ganassi Racing
11 8 Marcus Ericsson 200 16.5166 1.0738 Honda Chip Ganassi Racing
12 2 Josef Newgarden 200 22.3045 5.7879 Chevy Team Penske
13 47 Conor Daly 200 22.6921 0.3876 Chevy Ed Carpenter Racing
14 30 Takuma Sato 200 23.2955 0.6034 Honda Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing
15 1 JR Hildebrand 200 23.5277 0.2322 Chevy AJ Foyt Enterprises
16 26 Colton Herta 200 28.8029 5.2752 Honda Andretti Autosport
17 9 Scott Dixon 200 38.641 9.8381 Honda Chip Ganassi Racing
18 60 Jack Harvey 200 40.1572 1.5162 Honda Meyer Shank Racing
19 98 Marco Andretti 200 40.3591 0.2019 Honda Andretti Herta-Haupert w/Marco & Curb-Agajanian
20 3 Scott McLaughlin 200 40.8337 0.4746 Chevy Team Penske
21 29 James Hinchcliffe 200 40.8464 0.0127 Honda Andretti Steinbrenner Autosport
22 28 Ryan Hunter-Reay 200 41.5762 0.7298 Honda Andretti Autosport
23 4 Dalton Kellett 199 1 lap 6.4543 Chevy AJ Foyt Enterprises
24 59 Max Chilton 199 1 lap 9.7133 Chevy Carlin
25 51 Pietro Fittipaldi 199 1 lap 5.4759 Honda Dale Coyne Racing w/Rick Ware Racing
26 14 Sebastien Bourdais 199 1 lap 3.9415 Chevy AJ Foyt Enterprises
27 7 Felix Rosenqvist 199 1 lap 0.7730 Chevy Arrow McLaren SP
28 18 Ed Jones 199 1 lap 10.8357 Honda Dale Coyne Racing with Vasser Sullivan
29 27 Alexander Rossi 198 2 laps 36.4089 Honda Andretti Autosport
30 12 Will Power 197 3 laps 34.1205 Chevy Team Penske
31 16 Simona De Silvestro 169 Chevy Paretta Autosport
32 15 Graham Rahal 118 Honda Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing
33 25 Stefan Wilson 32 Honda Andretti Autosport

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
On that note anyone know what the least number of FCYs at the Indy 500? This race must be up there with those with limited FCYs
Four was the previous record I heard.

I wonder if raising the pit speed by 10mph would reduce the number of problems on pit entry. It seems to happen every year to a greater or lesser extent.

Also, how did Dixon get his lap back and Rossi didn't? Lucky to end up where he did in the end, while Rossi was stuck in the doldrums. Awful season for Rossi so far. 15th in the standings!

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago It's quite insane we only had 2 cautions for basically pit-related incidents. I have no idea what was with all those spins entering pit lane but without that and Rahal's team not screwing up with the wheel, we could have gone all 500 miles under green flag.

No offense to Palou but I really wanted Helio to win in the end.

I hope they do the 4-time champions photo soon given Foyt's health issues and I have no idea how is Al Unser feeling these days either.
Big Al was at the speedway and looked really well for his age!
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Firstly - awesome race. Shame Dixon was out of the mix.

The SkySports commentary during ad breaks was AWFUL. Lando clearly has never watched a Indycar race and probably didn’t even know Grosjean was competing on the road courses. The other guy who apparently knows a tiny bit more (he didn’t show it) was clearly annoyed with Lando’s lack of knowledge and kept interrupting him. Just awful
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago On that note anyone know what the least number of FCYs at the Indy 500? This race must be up there with those with limited FCYs
fewest cautions ever, fastest race ever!
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Good race, but hardly one of the Great Indys. Pretty processional for the first 160 laps. The strategies only got interesting around lap 114, the racing only got interesting for the last 40 laps, and it looked like Helio had the advantage. Helio was certainly a deserving winner.

This is actually the first time I watched the whole race for the better part of two decades. I find I still know most of the drivers or their fathers or their grandfathers. The series does appear to be on the upswing, but it has a long way to go before it returns to what it once was. I am probably not going back to following Indy cars.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

After the Historic races were done at Brands Hatch i picked up some couple of laps. 20 i think. Switched off TV.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Four was the previous record I heard.

I wonder if raising the pit speed by 10mph would reduce the number of problems on pit entry. It seems to happen every year to a greater or lesser extent.

Also, how did Dixon get his lap back and Rossi didn't? Lucky to end up where he did in the end, while Rossi was stuck in the doldrums. Awful season for Rossi so far. 15th in the standings!
Four cautions was the record since they adopted the pack rule under caution in 1979.

The outright record for fewest cautions/laps remains 2 for 9 laps from the 1969 race. They still used caution lights system back then in what is the modern version of VSC in Formula 1.

Two cautions were for Jim McElreath stopping with engine on fire in Turn 1 and Arnie Knepper crashing out in Turn 4 (he literally unstrapped himself when the car was still sliding towards pit entrance).
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Like this comment in Miller's latest Mailbag:
Q: Enjoyed the Mailbag last week and agree with Gary in California about Helio’s comment after the race. It was almost the first thing he said when he finally got interviewed and asked about winning four: “I know P.T. has been saying things about 2002 but that was my win, P.T., all the way, it was my win.” Paul Tracy had been complementing him the whole time and never brought it up. He was actually rooting for him too. I think it was a great story for IndyCar, but was very disappointed when he said that; he could’ve been much more humble about it because we all know the P.T. was leading when that yellow came out. Maybe you can go back and watch the interviews? Keep up all the good work, we all appreciate it.

Cam in LA

RM: That tells me it’s always in the back of his mind, because he knows where P.T. was when that yellow came out in 2002. Not a very classy move when you consider how supportive P.T. had been all month, but it didn’t diminish his great run to the checker and Shank’s wonderful story.
https://racer.com/2021/06/09/robin-mill ... acing-hpd/

THREE wins, damnit.