MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Needs one of those air scoops.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Conor used that. Team poured water on him during the pit stops also.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Nice track, decent race. Still I am not excited about returning to this series. It isn’t the series it was in the 1980a and 1990s. Sixth place held down by 44-year old Takuma Sato. He did not exactly set the F1 world on fire during his time in F1. He was followed on track by Marcus Erickson, a less embarrassing paying F1 driver then Latifi and Mazepin.

The days when Indy Car was graduating drivers into F1 like Andretti, Villenueve, Montoya, Zanardi and Bourdias still seems very much in the distant past. The cars look tame compared to F1.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

maybe you should judge drivers after their 2 Indy 500 wins, not by their stint in F1 15 years ago
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago
The days when Indy Car was graduating drivers into F1 like Andretti, Villenueve, Montoya, Zanardi and Bourdias still seems very much in the distant past. The cars look tame compared to F1.
Unlike F1 which is packed with stars like Latifi, Mazepin, Stroll, Giovanazzi, a 60 year old Kimi, and a 70 year old Alonso. What's your point? That Indycar isn't what it was? We know.

It's still a damn good racing series.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I'd argue that the likes of Dixon, Newgarden and Herta could have been F1 stars given an upbringing on the European ladder. I still don't rule out Herta, but it's a VERY slim chance. He needs to talk nicely to somebody and get in on a filming day or young driver test or something.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Sixth place held down by 44-year old Takuma Sato. He did not exactly set the F1 world on fire during his time in F1.
In 1988 during the second round of the series at Long Beach, Rocky Moran finished 6th. Rocky Moran is meh.

In 1989 during the second round of the series at Long Beach, Raul Boesel finished 6th. At least he made it to F1, and landed three podiums during his 14-year Indycar career, including the 500.

And if age matters, in 1988 Mario Andretti was 48 years old. In 1989 Emerson Fittipaldi was 43, and won the series.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Sixth place held down by 44-year old Takuma Sato. He did not exactly set the F1 world on fire during his time in F1.
He tried hard enough (to set the world on fire) :haha:

As an aside he likes Indy. He ggot an F1 podium there, the best of the rest in the Ferrari dominated 2004. Plus of course his 500 results and win (almost 2 wins)
He was also the UK F3 champion back in the day when it was competitive. He also won the Macao GP which puts him up there with an elite group.
Some of his performances in the Super Aguri were pretty special. I remember him passing Alonso and Ralf Schumacher in his McLaren round the outside at Canada.

In fact:

But yes he also had some less special days. :smiley:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

@Everso Biggyballies Sato has two Indy 500 wins! :dunno:

PS. Jimmie Johnson has single-handedly caused 60% of cautions in IndyCar this season. Milka Duno would be proud of such rating! :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Vassago wrote: 2 years ago @Everso Biggyballies Sato has two Indy 500 wins! :dunno:

PS. Jimmie Johnson has single-handedly caused 60% of cautions in IndyCar this season. Milka Duno would be proud of such rating! :tongue:
Yeah I couldnt remember if it was one win nearly 2 or 2 wins nearly 3. I remember he spun out of the lead on the final lap once. I was going to check when I typed it out.... then my phone rang and I got sidetracked so forgot to check and correct it. Thanks for pointing it out. I remembered he was the first non caucasian to win the 500, just could not clearly remember his second win or whether he had got pipped at the post.kayak name history

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
Vassago wrote: 2 years ago @Everso Biggyballies Sato has two Indy 500 wins! :dunno:

Yeah I couldnt remember if it was one win nearly 2 or 2 wins nearly 3. I remember he spun out of the lead on the final lap once. I was going to check when I typed it out.... then my phone rang and I got sidetracked so forgot to check and correct it. Thanks for pointing it out. I remembered he was the first non caucasian to win the 500, just could not clearly remember his second win or whether he had got pipped at the post.kayak name history
He didn't spin out of the lead to miss out on the win. He was running 2nd and went banzai all-in on Franchitti on the last lap back in 2012. At the time I thought be blew one-in-a-lifetime chance just like JR Hildebrand the year before. I was wrong about that one :cool:

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

I do believe he was technically half a foot or a foot in front when he spun.

But yeah, I thought that would be his one shot as well!

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Nice track, decent race. Still I am not excited about returning to this series. It isn’t the series it was in the 1980a and 1990s. Sixth place held down by 44-year old Takuma Sato. He did not exactly set the F1 world on fire during his time in F1. He was followed on track by Marcus Erickson, a less embarrassing paying F1 driver then Latifi and Mazepin.

Well sorry to you guys if my remarks left you cold (@John @MonteCristo @Everso Biggyballies). In many respects, they were addressed to me. I have always been an big F1 fan. I was a big CART fan in the 1980s and 1990s, but watched it get destroyed by Tony George. So the reason I was back to watching the first two races of this season was actually because a couple of people on this forum are talking it up. So I figured I would give it another chance. I am sorry, but it did not really do the trick. Probably not going to invest the time to follow another series, as F1 is actually getting better now.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ruslan wrote: 2 years ago Nice track, decent race. Still I am not excited about returning to this series. It isn’t the series it was in the 1980a and 1990s. Sixth place held down by 44-year old Takuma Sato. He did not exactly set the F1 world on fire during his time in F1. He was followed on track by Marcus Erickson, a less embarrassing paying F1 driver then Latifi and Mazepin.

Well sorry to you guys if my remarks left you cold (@John @MonteCristo @Everso Biggyballies). In many respects, they were addressed to me. I have always been an big F1 fan. I was a big CART fan in the 1980s and 1990s, but watched it get destroyed by Tony George. So the reason I was back to watching the first two races of this season was actually because a couple of people on this forum are talking it up. So I figured I would give it another chance. I am sorry, but it did not really do the trick. Probably not going to invest the time to follow another series, as F1 is actually getting better now.
Oh that's fair enough bud. I think most, if not all of us remember when Indy used to be F1 1.5. It's still reeling from the split and will probably continue to do so for a decade yet.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Taking a leak on FTG's grave is on my bucket list. So no hard feelings :).

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

No skin off my nose. I am not a fervent follower of Indycar by any means, and personalyl do not get excited about ovals. My interest in Indycar this year is primarily down to following how the Ex F1 mob get on, especially the rookies, and other foreigners. Plus of course Scotty Mac due to his local connection with his V8SC background. In other words the interlopers trying something different to Euro / Asian racing. Plus the fear of missing out on something! :wink: And it is motor racing. :whistling:

The timing of the live broadcasts doesnt usually suit me in local time, and also the ad infested coverage and usually high content of FCY's doesnt do much towards keeping me awake.