2021 NTT IndyCar series - News, gossip, banter and all the other good stuff

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Andretti adds sixth Indy 500 entry, Wilson to drive

Stefan Wilson will enter the Indianapolis 500 for a third time, and for a second time driving for Andretti Autosport in the blue-riband IndyCar event.

Sponsored by new women’s golf lifestyle brand Lohla Sport, Wilson will join not only the team’s four full-timers, but also last year’s polesitter Marco Andretti.

Wilson, the brother of the late Justin Wilson, made his debut in the race with KVSH Racing in 2016 - retiring after 119 laps with electrical trouble.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Andretti adds sixth Indy 500 entry, Wilson to drive

Stefan Wilson will enter the Indianapolis 500 for a third time, and for a second time driving for Andretti Autosport in the blue-riband IndyCar event.

Sponsored by new women’s golf lifestyle brand Lohla Sport, Wilson will join not only the team’s four full-timers, but also last year’s polesitter Marco Andretti.

Wilson, the brother of the late Justin Wilson, made his debut in the race with KVSH Racing in 2016 - retiring after 119 laps with electrical trouble.
I mean, good on him. But ... why?

If his own website is right, he's done zero in three years. I mean, nothing.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Andretti adds sixth Indy 500 entry, Wilson to drive

He gave up a car for Fernando Alonso - Andretti owed him one.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

erwin greven wrote: 3 years ago
Wickens back in a race car already

Well that did not take long to happen. In fact it has already happened. They said this week... we are still only half way through the week and it done and dusted. :amazed:

Not in an Indycar which I guess is pretty obvious, but Rob sampled a Bryan Herta Autosport Hyundai Veloster N TCR car at the Mid-Ohio on Tuesday (local time).

BHA’s Hyundai is already fitted with hand controls for the paralysed Michael Johnson, who competes in IMSA’s Pilot Challenge series.

Wickens completed 25 laps of the 2.2-mile (3.6km) road course as part of an all-Hyundai track day, which took place in mixed conditions.

So happy for him. :twothumbs: :bow:
“It’s been an amazing day so far,” said Wickens.

“The weather hasn’t been super kind to us. It was a little damp to begin with; it rained overnight and it’s been changeable all day but nevertheless, it’s been just a blast.

“I can’t thank Bryan Herta Autosport, Hyundai and Michael Johnson. It’s not every day that someone can lend you a race car to take an item off your bucket list. It’s been a great day so far.

“There was a lot of emotions once I was able to put my visor down and get back on a race track again.

“The whole week up leading to this… It wasn’t so much nerves.

“There was a lot of excitement and anticipation for this and then once I put a suit on again and started putting in the earpieces, the balaclava, the helmet, it just all went out the window and [felt] like business as usual.

“Once I got back out on track it was a slightly different story.

“Obviously the hand controls that Michael Johnson uses and the Hyundai Veloster is brand new for me, so learning that on a wet track wasn’t without its difficulties.

“We took it step by step and slowly chipped away at getting quicker and quicker.”

The steering wheel Wickens used.

Wickens utilised Johnson’s specially designed steering wheel (pictured above) to operate the car, with a large ring on the front for the throttle and a similar ring on the back to control the brake.

Separate buttons handle the gear shifts, while there is also a lever-controlled clutch.

“That’s the hard thing with accessibility is that there’s no textbook on it,” Wickens added.

”It’s not like the gas is on the right side and brakes on the left like almost every car in existence.

“There’s been a lot of mental focus that goes into it to pre-plan what I’m doing with my hands before I get to the next corner.

“It’s slowly starting to take shape where I’m having to think less and less about it.”

The accomplished open-wheel driver has no firm plans to return to racing beyond Tuesday’s test but said he is open to a lot of options.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/05/05/wi ... -accident/

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago

He gave up a car for Fernando Alonso - Andretti owed him one.
But that was 2017 that he gave the seat up to Alonso.

Stefan then got a drive with Andretti in 2018.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Hmm. Can't answer that one then.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

https://racer.com/2021/05/10/top-gun-ra ... 500-entry/
Top Gun Racing makes test debut ahead of Indy 500 entry

Top Gun Racing has made its on-track debut at World Wide Technologies Raceway while shaking down the No. 75 Chevy with driver RC Enerson.

The 24-year-old Floridian with four NTT IndyCar Series starts spread across 2016-2019 turned the car’s first laps at speed late Monday morning ahead of an anticipated attempt to qualify for the Indy 500.

Dressed in a ‘Johnny Lightning’ livery borrowed from the 1970 Indianapolis 500-winning Vel’s Parnelli Racing entry piloted by Al Unser, the TGR car was not carrying sponsor logos during the outing.

RACER confirmed Chevy has completed its assignment of Indy-only engine leases, and with TGR’s inclusion, the number is at 18. Honda Performance Development has also confirmed its allotment of 18 for the May 30 race as being complete, which would suggest 36 cars will vie to fill the 11 rows of three.
Very cool. Good luck to them!

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
NBC reportedly may split from the NTT IndyCar Series with CBS the favorite to step in
By Phillip Bupp on 05/12/2021

With NBCSN shutting down, many sports that are broadcast on the network are figuring out what to do next. That might mean having more broadcasts on regular NBC. That might mean moving over to USA. That might mean going to Peacock. And that might mean moving to another network.

For the NTT IndyCar Series, they have been all over NBC. This season, about half the races are on NBC with half on NBCSN and most practice and qualifying sessions on Peacock. NBC has provided the kind of marketing and promotional coverage to IndyCar that they haven’t seen in decades but this relationship might possibly be ending after the 2021 season.

According to John Ourand and Terry Lefton of Sports Business Journal, both the sanctioning body and the network “are beginning to envision life without the other” and possibly won’t be together in 2022. They make clear that talks haven’t broken down and it’s entirely possible that IndyCar will be back on NBC but there is a lot more uncertainty as to the future of IndyCar on NBC.

If IndyCar and NBC decide to go their separate ways, CBS is reportedly the likely destination for the series. It’s unclear if that means races would go to CBS, CBSSN, or Paramount+ but CBS has had a renewed focus in motorsports over the past year. They recently took over Formula E rights and will have the new Superstar Racing Experience on regular CBS in June. And as SBJ noted, CBS chairman Sean McManus told them that they “would look into other auto racing rights when their deals came up for renewal.”

NBC, or at least the NBCSN channel, has had IndyCar rights since 2008 when it was Versus and NBC wasn’t yet involved. When NBC took over, they expanded their IndyCar footprint and took over exclusive rights from ABC/ESPN beginning with the 2019 season. That year, the Indy 500 moved off ABC for the first time since 1965 and this year’s race will be the third on NBC.

There are a lot of unknowns but IndyCar must be enjoying the options they have in front of them. A decision should be made later this year with the new TV deal starting in 2022.
https://awfulannouncing.com/racing/nbc- ... ep-in.html

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 2 years ago
IndyCar said it is “considering various scenarios for the remainder of the 2021 IndyCar calendar as it relates to the cancellation of Toronto.”

Turning another GSRP event into a double-header is one potential scenario, as is a double-header at Road America, or an extra event on Indianapolis’ road course.

However, a fourth possibility is simply reducing the 2021 schedule from 17 to 16 races.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

KMag attends Indy practice and thinks, 'Mmm, I want me some of that.'

https://racer.com/2021/05/21/indy-500-d ... magnussen/
Indy 500 ‘definitely something I need to try’ - Magnussen

Former Haas F1 and current Cadillac Chip Ganassi Racing driver Kevin Magnussen was a surprise guest on pit lane as practice for the 105th Indianapolis 500 commenced on Tuesday.

Coming off a disheartening run to fifth in class on Sunday at the Mid-Ohio IMSA race, the Dane chose to lift his spirits by heading west to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to take in the sights and raw speeds on display.

“I got the opportunity to drive to from Mid-Ohio to Indianapolis and check out some practice for the Indy 500, which was great,” he told RACER. “I’ve always been very open about wanting to have a go in an IndyCar one day. I went to stand in the middle of the pit lane, you know, only like five or 10 meters from the cars running at close to 400 kilometers an hour. With only like, half a meter of wall in between me and the cars. And then you see those cars going flat out, not even lifting into Turn 1. It’s definitely something I need to try one day.”

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Great article and I just hope ego wise he stays as grounded as he is and doesnt get too far up himself.

I would love for him to win, and tbh his being there is one of the main reasons I will be watching, as I was always a bit of a fan of his in Supercars from back in his GRM days and the Volvo thing.

I still think of him as a local, having seen him grow and flourish here in V8's, something I dont feel for Dixon and Power.

Just hope he finishes the race and a top 10 would be great. He seems to have plenty of respect for the race, the speeds etc so hope he does not caught up in any skirmishes from starting in the lower half of the grid. He has always had the attitude in long races to respect the distance, and the fact you are not going to win it in the first hundred miles..... if you are there at the end anything can happen with strategy, Pace cars etc and can work in your favour. Or not. Hope its the former.

Anyway hope it is a safe. race for all.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Some news...
F1 open to avoiding Indy clash so its drivers can compete

Formula 1 managing director of motorsports Ross Brawn says the sport is open to avoiding a clash between the Monaco Grand Prix and Indianapolis 500 in future.

This year was the first time since 2003 that Indy didn’t clash with an F1 race, with Monaco taking place a week before the 500. As the race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway always takes place on Memorial Day weekend, it’s likely the timing of Monaco would need to shift slightly and Brawn tells RACER that’s something that would be considered if it’s better for motorsport as a whole.
https://racer.com/2021/06/02/f1-open-to ... n-compete/

C'mon Lando!
Indy 500 TV rating hits 5-year high

Using the modern Total Audience Delivery metric which includes the combined television and live streaming audience, the Indy 500 produced 5.581 million viewers, up from 2020’s disappointing 3.692 million.

The year-to-year audience increase of 51.1 percent reflects the excitement offered by the race where the unheralded Meyer Shank Racing team pulled off an upset for the ages. With the close race to the checkered flag and joyful celebration by Castroneves and his team, viewership peaked at 7.129 million.
https://racer.com/2021/06/02/indy-500-t ... year-high/

Good stuff.

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

John wrote: 3 years ago Veekay re-signed with ECR.

Dragonspeed cans IndyCar program, sells the car to MSR. https://racer.com/2020/10/28/dragonspee ... r-program/
That car that just won the '500.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

that is such a great piece of trivia

last years' slowest car (by far), this years' fastest car
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***