Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I just watched Round 3 at Long Beach. Now that was an interesting race!

Mario retired, Mansell almost broke down (seems like he had a gearbox issue of sorts in the latter stages of the race) but still managed 3rd. A few very amateur looking incidents, including from Little Al who tried squeezing down the inside of Mansell in a place you're not meant to pass and ended up with Mansell riding over his front wheel and breaking his suspension. As a result Tracy ended up with his first win.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

:crazy: I was a paperboy for a couple of years in my teens and I vividly remember seeing a picture of Mansells Lola T93/00 at launch on the back of The Sun, painted entirely in gold except for the Red 5 on the nose. I watched two or three races at the most on TV of F1 in '93, but avidly caught the Indycar race highlights ITV showed the Saturday or Sunday after every race (even when they were on at stupid o clock in the schedules). With or without Mansell, Indycar looked so much more exciting than F1 that year.
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

JBT wrote: 3 years ago :crazy: I was a paperboy for a couple of years in my teens and I vividly remember seeing a picture of Mansells Lola T93/00 at launch on the back of The Sun, painted entirely in gold except for the Red 5 on the nose. I watched two or three races at the most on TV of F1 in '93, but avidly caught the Indycar race highlights ITV showed the Saturday or Sunday after every race (even when they were on at stupid o clock in the schedules). With or without Mansell, Indycar looked so much more exciting than F1 that year.
Indycar throughout the 1990s was probably one of the most exciting motorsports on the planet.

Actually the 1990s were just damn good for motor racing in general. Way better than any decade before it.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I have this documentary, 6 hrs in length, called Nigel Mansell's Indycar diarrhea
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Actually the 1990s were just damn good for motor racing in general. Way better than any decade before it.
The 1980's would like a word with you. They're neck and neck, IMHO. The 1980's had big time tobacco money, insane turbos and glitz. The 1990's was a bit more polished.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

John wrote: 3 years ago
The 1980's would like a word with you. They're neck and neck, IMHO. The 1980's had big time tobacco money, insane turbos and glitz. The 1990's was a bit more polished.
The 80s were wild, but the 90s were better.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I consider 82 to 94 pretty much a golden era in motorsports, you got the rise and fall of Group C in sportscars, F1 coming to prominence, Indycars too at least in the US, rally has the Group B cars.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

May I ring in with the '60s and '70s? So much innovation those years.

And of course, so much less big money which now dictates the shows.
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 3 years ago
The 80s were wild, but the 90s were better.
EARLY 90s.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Heetseeker
Favourite Motorsport: Indycar
Favourite Driver: Alexander Rossi
Favourite Circuit: Indy

Post by Heetseeker »

What a year for Nigel. Crazy thing was that Ovals were where he won most of his races!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I finally finished watching the 1993 Indy 500. It took me most of this year to get through it.

It wasn't the greatest 500 I have ever seen. Since Emmo took the lead in the last 15 laps having not lead a single lap the whole race, I sort of walked away from that feeling like "What was the point of watching the last 3 hours if it was all decided in the last 10 minutes?"

Mario looked like he should have won it, but after the last pitstop the car utterly sucked. Mansell spent the race running really high and bounced off the outside wall a few times, it's a wonder he finished third. Boesel thought he should have won it, having had 2 penalties he still finished 4th. I guess without those, he could have won it for sure.

Now I am onto Milwaukee and I can tell you it is a much more exciting race.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I feel like that with 90% of Oval races.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Finished watching the Milwaukee 200. Now that was a pretty damn interesting race. Lots of traffic for everyone to deal with and Mansell only just won it.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Wow it's been 2 years since I last watched a race!?

I'm 30 mins into the Detroit race - they just black flagged Fittipaldi for jumping the start, having never enforced such a rule before. He crossed the S/F line a whole car length ahead of the pole sitter. Kind of feels like modern F1 levels of stewarding. Slow start for Mansell but I have a feeling he'll come through.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

PTRACER wrote: 2 months ago Wow it's been 2 years since I last watched a race!?

I'm 30 mins into the Detroit race - they just black flagged Fittipaldi for jumping the start, having never enforced such a rule before. He crossed the S/F line a whole car length ahead of the pole sitter. Kind of feels like modern F1 levels of stewarding. Slow start for Mansell but I have a feeling he'll come through.
Don't they say that the precedent was set in Australia were Mansell jumped the start?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Cheeveer wrote: 2 months ago
PTRACER wrote: 2 months ago Wow it's been 2 years since I last watched a race!?

Don't they say that the precedent was set in Australia were Mansell jumped the start?
According to my notes, Mansell was a bit slow off the start in Surfers...?

Anyway this race is turning into a crash fest. Not a lot of overtaking but off line it's like a rally course. Johansson just tried to go up the inside of Mansell in a yellow flag zone, slashed Mansell's tyre, broke his own front wing then hit the crashed car of Teo Fabi which was being recovered under a LOCAL yellow...Corner worker standing in front of Fabi's car got run over by the car being thrust forward. Man, safety was different back then.