Round 1: Genesys 300 @ Texas Motor Speedway

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago I saw it as Marco got a huge run on the outside, swooped by Felx and Hinch, which washed up Hinch and Felix got way up high. It was a lose-lose situation for Felix: either back off and lose contact with Dixon, or go high into the wall as he did.
I can't fault him for trying to keep up with Dixon, but with a, what, 15 seconds gap back to whoever was in third at the time, he shouldn't have gone for that pass. But then again, ovals, 220 MPH, there's so little reaction time.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

No, no, no, no, no. Nothing to do with speed or reaction time. Just poor judgement. He even admitted afterward that he just didn't want to hold up any longer. He was just impatient...nothing else. Like you said. He should have settled for second rather than down the grid. Whatever. In the past now..... :)
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

What was the story behind the maximum stint length?
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michkov wrote: 3 years ago What was the story behind the maximum stint length?
They were using year-old rubber because of coronavirus causing problems with making new tyres.

So they played it safe by putting a maximum limit on laps per set.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago
They were using year-old rubber because of coronavirus causing problems with making new tyres.

So they played it safe by putting a maximum limit on laps per set.
Shades of F1 at Indy GP 2005

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

And if you believe that one, I've got a bridge in NYC (freshly disinfected for pick-up or delivery) to sell you real cheap.
Just another "show" stop-per to make up for the one line sitiation.....gotta keep those spec cars close for that show doncha know.

jimclark
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

jimclark wrote: 3 years ago
And if you believe that one, I've got a bridge in NYC (freshly disinfected for pick-up or delivery) to sell you real cheap.
Just another "show" stop-per to make up for the one line sitiation.....gotta keep those spec cars close for that show doncha know.
Hahahha are you my clone?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago
Oh dear lord they're multiplying.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

I don't know....maybe you're mine. When's your birth(or clone)day? Whoever came first is the original. :D

Seriously though, why does using "last year's rubber" have anything to do with it? Didn't they run at Texas last year? Oh yeah, I see they did.
Same ol' DW12 (well, 'cept for that cockpit thingy....and people thought F1's halo looked bad....aie yi-yi....). Did they have tire trouble last year? I don't remember hearing about any.
I have to admit, I didn't catch it last year, so maybe I'm missing the clue, but I don't think so. :dunno:

jimclark
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

John wrote: 3 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago
Oh dear lord they're multiplying.
Can't help it ever since the IRL climbed out from under a rock..... :omg:

:happy:

jimclark
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

jimclark wrote: 3 years ago I don't know....maybe you're mine. When's your birth(or clone)day? Whoever came first is the original. :D

Seriously though, why does using "last year's rubber" have anything to do with it? Didn't they run at Texas last year? Oh yeah, I see they did.
Same ol' DW12 (well, 'cept for that cockpit thingy....and people thought F1's halo looked bad....aie yi-yi....). Did they have tire trouble last year? I don't remember hearing about any.
I have to admit, I didn't catch it last year, so maybe I'm missing the clue, but I don't think so. :dunno:
They were using last year's rubber because no tyres have been produced for 2020 due to the lockdown. There were no other tyres available. Which will hopefully be sorted by the time we reach Indianapolis a month from now.

The reasoning for the stint limit (which I too think reeks of a bit of bullshit) is that they weren't sure the tyres would last a full stint due to them being a year old.

It may be BS, or it may be IndyCar taking absolutely zero chances with anything at the most demanding track they race at.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Funnily enough, it was Team Penske who were alone with having issues.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

I didn't question the reason for using last year's tires, I accepted (with a grain of salt) MC's "They were using year-old rubber because of coronavirus causing problems with making new tyres.", although I even have trouble with that. As in, why couldn't they? Did their equipment become ill?

If "it may be IndyCar taking absolutely zero chances with anything at the most demanding track they race at.", why not take the absolutely safest route and cancel the race? For sake of discussion assuming it's so, how did they come up with 35 laps being safe? Not 40? Not 25? What determines the safe #? How did they know for certain, that even just one might not fail after, let's say, 13 laps?

Not saying all this isn't true, I just take to heart the old saying "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and talks like a duck......" Especially when racing has become the "good show".....errrr....I mean "good racing" :roll: (via spec/kit cars and engines in IndyCar's case) instead of the display of the best there is to offer.

Any how, I thought it was far more entertaining than the usual draft fest that's usually de rigeur on big ovals; more of a driver's test.
As such, I vote for more traction goo on more circuits in the future.....(hmm, Indy on the front and back straights....????) ;)

jimclark
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I'm sure the factories were shut down so there's probably 50/50 truth to it, you know what the whole world is like at the moment, it's all "Are you Covid secure?", nobody wants to be that one to pop their head above the parapet and get shot for daring to question the whole thing, it's only take one person to get hurt from them not being protective that the series might as well pack up after that.

Yeah I know the irony of driving at 220mph round an oval and being concerned that someone might get hurt doing it...
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimclark »

I didn't know that the race tires were constructed in the usual factories.

jimclark
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

They're likely not. But machines haven't taken over the world yet and still need people to look after them in case they gunk up, and they still need people to drive trucks and trains to move raw materials to make the things.

And if those people are holed up at home, then things are going to get disrupted.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion