Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

2020 pre-season COTA test

Post by MonteCristo »

Two days of testing today/tomorrow (Tuesday/Wednesday Yankie time).

25 cars scheduled to take part. Apparently it'll rain a bit, so we'll see if the screen is a yay or nay.

Entry list:
1 1 Josef Newgarden Nashville, Tennessee Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
2 2 Scott McLaughlin (R) Christchurch, New Zealand Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
3 4 Charlie Kimball Camarillo, California AJ Foyt Racing A.J. Foyt Enterprises Chevrolet
4 5 Pato O'Ward Monterey, Mexico Arrow McLaren SP Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet
5 7 Oliver Askew (R) Jupiter, Florida Arrow McLaren SP Arrow McLaren SP Chevrolet
6 8 Marcus Ericsson Kumla, Sweden Huski Chocolate Chip Ganassi Racing Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
7 9 Scott Dixon Auckland, New Zealand PNC Bank Chip Ganassi Racing Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
8 10 Felix Rosenqvist Malmo, Sweden NTT DATA Chip Ganassi Racing Chip Ganassi Racing Honda
9 12 Will Power Toowoomba, Australia Verizon Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
10 14 Sebastien Bourdais Le Mans, France AJ Foyt Racing A.J. Foyt Enterprises Chevrolet
14 Dalton Kellett (R) Stouffville, Canada AJ Foyt Racing A.J. Foyt Enterprises Chevrolet
11 15 Graham Rahal New Albany, Ohio Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda
12 18 Santino Ferrucci Woodbury, Connecticut SealMaster Dale Coyne Racing with Vasser Sullivan Honda
13 20 Conor Daly Noblesville, Indiana U.S. Air Force Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet
14 21 Rinus VeeKay (R) Hoofddorp, Netherlands Sonax Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet
15 22 Simon Pagenaud Montmorillon, France Team Penske Team Penske Chevrolet
16 26 Zach Veach Stockdale, Ohio Gainbridge Andretti Autosport Honda
17 27 Alexander Rossi Nevada City, California NAPA AUTO PARTS / AutoNation Andretti Autosport Honda
18 28 Ryan Hunter-Reay Fort Lauderdale, Florida DHL Andretti Autosport Honda
19 30 Takuma Sato Tokyo, Japan Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda
20 31 Sergio Sette Camara (R) Belo Horizonte, Brazil Carlin Carlin Chevrolet
31 Felipe Nasr (R) Brasilia, Brazil Carlin Carlin Chevrolet
21 55 Alex Palou (R) Sant Antoni de Vilamajor, Spain Dale Coyne Racing with Team Goh Dale Coyne Racing with Team Goh Honda
22 59 Max Chilton Reigate, England Gallagher Carlin Carlin Chevrolet
23 60 Jack Harvey Bassingham, England AutoNation/Sirius XM Meyer Shank Racing Honda
24 88 Colton Herta Valencia, California Andretti Harding Steinbrenner Autosport Andretti Harding Steinbrenner Autosport Honda
25 98 Marco Andretti Nazareth, Pennsylvania U.S. Concrete / Curb Andretti Herta with Marco & Curb-Agajanian Honda
It'll be good to see what Nasr can do, likewise McLaughlin.

At least Least Andretti will be able to be faster than Kellett.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

The screen was tested at Barber in the wet and both Dixon, RHR and Power (I think it was Power) said it performed great, and visibility was better than without the screen.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

It's on!

racecontrol.indycar.com for livetiming and video.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Meh.... red flag for rain I think it is. Just a few installation laps before they threw the red. :sorrow:
Rain forecast for tomorrow too. :roll:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Of course, haha
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Long way for Scotty Mac to travel for a couple of installation laps.
As this test is the only running scheduled for him pre the Indy GP first week in May he is going to likely be in at the deep end. Maybe the weather will be kind enough to let him get some laps in at least.

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

No real running today

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Tuesday:

Last edited by erwin greven 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Wedneday:

2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I must admit, they don't look bad at all with the aeroscreens. And other than a few leaks in the wet, the drivers aren't complaining at all. The only thing I wonder is what happens to it when the car gets upside down on an oval.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Scotty Mac managed to get a number of laps in on day 2 despite the track being wet for much of the day, and to his credit finished the day third fastest, behind Power and Rossi.

Im not reading too much into it as he admitted they had used a number of new tyres on his test. Power did a 1:46.7603, 0.2 ahead of Rossi with Scott a further 0.3 back.

Ahead of his final stint in the car, McLaughlin spoke of the physicality he’s had to get accustomed to.
“It’s fast, it’s got so much grip,” he said of the Dallara IR-18.

“It’s hard on your neck and body. I’ve been training really hard to get ready for it. I’m really happy with the car so far.

“I felt really comfortable and my seat position is really good. That’s ideal because I’m not going to have many times in the car before the Indianapolis Grand Prix.”

Asked about the challenges, McLaughlin said: “The overall grip, the speed I can carry through the corners, especially the esses around the back there, [turns] four, five, six and seven.

“It’s really about using the aero and that’s something I can’t do [in the Supercar]. But I’m really happy, having so much fun, living the dream.”

“I’ve done some [simulator] work with the team. That’s been really helpful getting used to the track, knowing some traits of the car, but once you get in it’s so different.

“I’m really happy with how we’re going. I’ve had half a day but I’ve had plenty of new tyres and we’ve been having a crack.

“I’m really privileged to be in this position. I’ve got to make the most of it, grab it with both hands and have a good go at it.”

“I have to thank my team in Australia to help me get to this point. And I can’t thank the team over here enough. It’s been a dream come true. This is America’s biggest open wheel series.

“I’ve always just wanted to be in America. I’m proud to be here. But I’m also looking forward to getting home and racing my Ford Mustang.

“Overall, I’m pretty proud to look at the board and be third. But obviously everyone else probably has a little more in their tank.”

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Yeah, given it's effectively the first day of testing, it's hard to say how good he really did. But clearly he wasn't pants.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, given it's effectively the first day of testing, it's hard to say how good he really did. But clearly he wasn't pants.
Given the conditions they were running in at least he did not bin it or do anything silly. He seems to be approaching the whole exercise with a sensible attitude and with no ego / aspirations of grandeur. Plus he clocked up a lot of miles which has to be better for him than simulator work. I watched a bit of the running on the feed and at one stage he was lapping with Power behind him in wet tyre conditions.... whether Power was deliberately cruising I know not but Scott kept Power behind him for a few laps until Power pitted.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Here are the timesheets from the day they ran laps.

http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... omb-p3.pdf

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago I must admit, they don't look bad at all with the aeroscreens. And other than a few leaks in the wet, the drivers aren't complaining at all. The only thing I wonder is what happens to it when the car gets upside down on an oval.
When was the last time we saw on of these cars catch fire badly? Back in the IR15 era I think? One of the girls at Texas iirc? and that was only made worse due to panicking fat Texans trying to drag her out when her leg was caught up in her belt.

I still think they are fixing a problem that so rarely happens that it may be 10 years before we see anybody saved by it, AND is will possibly cause the drivers to take more risks due to a heightened sense of safety, but I guess if it saves lives getting upside down with the screen on might be the least of your worries if it happens on an oval.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.