Indycar Clockwise ( racing the opposite way )

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
xavier28
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Indycar Clockwise ( racing the opposite way )

Post by xavier28 »

Silly question maybe!?

The wife said me the other day why dont they race the otherway ( clockwise on ovals )

Now i know in Nascar that wouldn't be possible due to the driver sitting on the leftside of the car but i cant see why if would affect Indycars?

If it were possible they could run a double header on the Saturday anticlockwise and then clockwise on the Sunday.
Racing is in my blood, ( Senna @ adeliade press confrence after the he was excluded from the 1989 japanesse grand prix
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Tradition. Oval racing has always been about turning left. That was established long before anyone had thought of NASCAR. It is not an Indycar/NASCAR thing.

What caused Brooklands and Indianapolis to be run anti-clockwise I don't know. Maybe there was some rationale behind that.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Look at other non-motor sports: Speed skating, athletics, horse tracks racing. Even airplanes use anti clock wise approaches at airports and carriers.

Maybe it is because the majority of humans are right handed. So they have a stronger right foot too and thus make easier a left hand turn.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Maybe here there are some answers.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

There was an Australian series that used to run clockwise on an oval.

Most circuits (road courses) are clockwise and counter clockwise courses are somewhat rare. Whereas ovals are all counter clockwise.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Australian cars have the steering wheel on the right side of the car. Think it is a pure safety measure to drive clockwise. British ovals are clockwise too.

Calder Park 300

Oval + Road course

xavier28
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by xavier28 »

erwin greven wrote:Maybe here there are some answers.

I like answer number 4

that spectator will percieve the runners as moving left to right - the same direction our eyes move when we read
Racing is in my blood, ( Senna @ adeliade press confrence after the he was excluded from the 1989 japanesse grand prix
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I suppose horse racing was racing anti-clockwise long before any motor vehicle was invented, so it is has nothing to do which side of the car the driver is at. Remember that the first Indy 500 winner was a single-seater. Tradition do seem to be the answer with the most thruthiness to it.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
MiÑardi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1 + Indycar
Car(s) Currently Owned: Toyota Celica GT

Post by MiÑardi »

A lot of series run clockwise around ovals in the UK. Again, it could be because the driver sits on the right in Banger and Hot Rod racing. Brisca F1 cars run anti-clockwise. The caution lights can be rotated around if both series are running at the same meeting.

Or you could run a bit of both and create some of the scariest racing possible. :thumbsup: