Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

That's awfully sad to hear. Newman/Haas would be my favourite team ever. Probably have a softer spot for them than any F1 team.

RIP Carl.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Rip
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Iowa

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

kals wrote:Carl Haas has passed away. He's now reunited with Paul Newman and getting the race team back together.

RIP Carl.
It's come as a complete surprise to me that Carl Haas and Gene Haas have nothing to do with each other, and therefore the Haas-Lola team of the mid-80s has nothing to do with the current Haas F1 team.

:blush:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Josef Newgarden took a beautiful win in Iowa last weekend, now onto the streets of Toronto.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Yesterday there was a race in Toronto. It wasn't a classic but wasn't terrible either. Also, it has been 20 years since we lost Jeff Krosnoff and Gary Arvin at the Toronto CART race.
Autosport.com wrote:Twenty years ago last week a horrific crash in the closing laps of the Toronto Indycar race claimed the lives of series rookie Jeff Krosnoff and marshal Gary Arvin.

For those close to Krosnoff, July 14 1996 bore an obvious parallel with the death of Roland Ratzenberger at Imola a couple of years earlier. Both had raced extensively in Japan, honing their talents while hoping to find a way back to the mainstream.

Each had finally been able to make the next step up - in Ratzenberger's case to Formula 1, and for Krosnoff to Indycar. And having achieved their dreams, both were robbed of the chance to show how good they really were.

"It was kind of sad," says Eddie Irvine, a team-mate to both drivers. "It was the same as the Ratzy thing. No sooner had Jeff made it to where he really wanted to get to than he got killed. And they were probably two of the most driven guys to get to where they wanted to get to."

Krosnoff might have been a rookie in Indycar, but he had raced in the Japanese Formula 3000 series for seven years, going wheel to wheel with several drivers who would have long and successful F1 careers, and he had very nearly won the Le Mans 24 Hours. He was a class act.

"He had a very competitive instinct," says Johnny Herbert. "He was always trustworthy, whenever you were side by side; he had a brain in him. But the main thing was the fun factor outside the racing arena - you could talk to him, and not just about understeer and oversteer."

Mika Salo, who raced against Krosnoff before reaching F1, recalls his work ethic in Japan. "He was a hard-working guy, he worked a lot on his racing," says Salo. "He wasn't like the rest of us, having fun and partying on the side. He was just concentrating on his job. He was probably too intelligent for that group of us in Japan!

"It's hard to say how good he was, because he was not in a good team, and he never had a chance to show what he could do."

Born in Oklahoma in 1964, Jeffrey John Krosnoff grew up in California. Early visits to the Long Beach Grand Prix with his plastic-surgeon father instilled a passion for Formula 1 in the youngster, and after a Jim Russell course he competed in the school series in 1983, winning seven races and a rookie award named after Gilles Villeneuve.

Over the next few seasons he raced in Formula Mazda while finding time to complete a psychology degree at the University of California, Los Angeles. By 1987 he was in Formula Atlantic, and then he moved into the Sports Car Club of America's very competitive RaceTruck Challenge series.

It was through winning races in a works Nissan pick-up that an extraordinary opportunity arrived. A Japanese sponsor was looking for a young American to race in its home country, and Krosnoff was invited over for a test. He thought he was going to try a Formula 3 car, but when he arrived it was an F3000 Lola.

He got the job, and so his Japanese adventure began in 1989. He was up against veteran local heroes who had raced for two decades, and visiting Europeans who had enjoyed extensive FIA F3000 careers - and several of them had also raced or tested F1 cars.

He proved to be a fast learner, and over the next few years he gained the respect of his colleagues on and off the track, although he never actually won an F3000 race.

"When I arrived in Japan he was the first person to come over and introduce himself," says Irvine. "He was just a super-friendly, really outgoing guy."

"Japan was a big university for us, it was the campus," says Jacques Villeneuve, who raced in F3 in 1992. "It was a special time, with Ratzenberger, Tom Kristensen, Irvine... We were all a group, and I was probably the youngest one there, and I had all these big brothers looking after me. And Jeff was one of them. He was a great guy, always fun to be around. He was very open."

In 1991 a sponsor signed a deal with Tom Walkinshaw to run a Jaguar XJR-11 in the Japanese sportscar series for Krosnoff and Mauro Martini. The turbocharged machine was not competitive, but the arrangement included a Le Mans V12 entry, with David Leslie as the third driver.

Jeff set the fastest race lap of any of the 12 TWR works drivers before the car's retirement, and later he impressed when he drove Ross Brawn's iconic XJR-14 in the Japanese season finale at Sugo.

A second outing at Le Mans in 1994 nearly resulted in victory. Krosnoff was due to share the SARD team's Toyota 94C-V with Martini and team regular Ratzenberger, but after the San Marino Grand Prix tragedy Irvine took Ratzenberger's seat.

The trio were on course for the Japanese marque's first win in the 24 Hours when the gear linkage failed with 90 minutes to go. Somehow Krosnoff managed to get the car going again, and they finished a frustrated second.

"He was quick and he didn't make mistakes," says Irvine. "That's what you need at Le Mans. He was a real team player."

By 1995 Krosnoff was treading water in F3000, while former rivals Irvine, Salo and Heinz-Harald Frentzen had graduated to F1. He accepted that he had little chance of following them, having aroused zero interest when he tried to talk to visiting team bosses at previous Japanese GPs.

Indycar, then going through its CART golden era, appeared to be equally out of reach, but then his efforts began to pay dividends. That winter he tested for the Ganassi and Arciero-Wells teams, impressing the latter sufficiently to land a drive for 1996. At 31 he was finally coming home, and to a team based in California.

The drawback was that car owner Cal Wells had agreed a deal to run the brand-new Toyota engine in Krosnoff's Reynard, and the only benchmark was the works All American Racers Eagle-Toyota of Juan Fangio II. It was always going to be a challenging season given that the engine was at the start of its development curve.

"Jeff acquitted himself very well," recalls Arciero-Wells engineer and former McLaren designer Gordon Coppuck. "He gave us confidence that he would develop rather quicker than the engine! His feedback was very good. All that we were really able to do was compare his performance with Fangio's."

Inevitably, Krosnoff qualified towards the back of the field, and four engine-related retirements in the first six races showed what a challenge he faced.

"He was learning oval racing as well, so it was a big chunk of responsibility for that stage of his career," adds Coppuck. "I was very impressed with his ability to communicate and not lose his rag with some of the disappointments. He had the team around him, everyone was behind him and understood that he was in a difficult position. He encouraged everyone to be as committed as he was to making the project work."

By the 11th race of the season in Toronto things were starting to come together. Krosnoff qualified 20th of 28 - his best result so far and a place ahead of series veteran Stefan Johansson.

"We sat in the same car around the parade lap before the start of that race," says Johansson, "just bullshitting and joking and laughing, like mates. He was a really funny guy. He was doing a very good job. His car wasn't great and they had the Toyota engine, which wasn't super-competitive."

In the race Krosnoff ran strongly in the midfield and after a late restart he found himself behind Johansson and Emerson Fittipaldi. At the end of the long back straight Krosnoff attempted to pass just as Johansson jinked to the right.

"I tried to outbrake Emerson and I dove on the inside of him," Johansson recalls. "Jeff had already made his move, but you're focused on the guy in front. There wasn't enough room for all the cars in the end when we got to the braking area."

There was heavy contact and Krosnoff's car spiralled into the debris fencing on the right, striking a tree that was just behind it and then a lamppost that stood between the concrete wall and the fence. The terrible double impact split the engine from the chassis, before the wreckage spilled back onto the track.

Despite the best efforts of the rescue team, Krosnoff stood no chance. Sadly, Gary Arvin, a 44-year-old marshal from Calgary who was struck by the Reynard, also lost his life.

"What I remember is the engine from his car landed right in front of me," says Johansson. "Had it landed a few feet further back it would have been on top of me. It was one of the lowest points of my career.

"It was just bad circumstances that made it happen. It's a painful thing, so I've tried to erase it from my memory as much as I can. It was very difficult at the time. You have a defence mechanism; you go into a little bubble."

What could Krosnoff have achieved had he been given more time to develop as an Indycar driver?

"It's really difficult to answer that because he never had the equipment to show his potential," says Coppuck. "The results were definitely not a reflection on Jeff."

Johansson: "He was a great person, a great human being, a cool guy, and super-well-respected by everybody. And a tough competitor, fast but fair, just like a real racing driver should be. He was just on the cusp; the next year was going to be his breakout year, I think. He would have been very strong."

Krosnoff's motto was 'stay hungry'. On that Toronto weekend he made a comment in a team press release that neatly summed up his philosophy.

"I've said many times this season that in racing you should be doing one of two things, winning or improving. If you're doing that, then you're doing your job."
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Marshall Pruett wrote a very interesting series of articles about Jeff a few weeks ago.
Well worth a read.

http://marshallpruett.com/jeff-krosnoff ... ry-part-1/
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

He reminds me a bit of the Ratzenberger story. Both had one goal: F1 (Roland) Indy Car (Jeff). Both where over 30 when they finally reached their goals. And raced a very short career in F1 and IC.

(edit: strangely i just read the story a few posts earlier with the same quote/idea)
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

ReneLotus wrote:Marshall Pruett wrote a very interesting series of articles about Jeff a few weeks ago.
Well worth a read.

Great read, thanks for sharing. RIP Jeff.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Felix Rosenqvist to test for Ganassi at Mid-Ohio this week. :thumbsup:

xavier28
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by xavier28 »

ReneLotus wrote:Marshall Pruett wrote a very interesting series of articles about Jeff a few weeks ago.
Well worth a read.

Just read this, thank you for sharing
Racing is in my blood, ( Senna @ adeliade press confrence after the he was excluded from the 1989 japanesse grand prix
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Robin Frijns did an one off test at Mid Ohio. He put in some good laps and was at the end 0,2 seconds slower than Ryan Hunter-Reay.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

...while Felix Rosenqvist was the faster than both of them. Fastest rookie all day, 4th overall in the morning session. Drove a Ganassi car.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

thecheckeredflag.co.uk wrote:Target to end Ganassi IndyCar sponsorship deal after 2016

The 27 year partnership in IndyCar between Chip Ganassi Racing and lead sponsor Target will come to an end at the conclusion of the 2016 season.

Chip Ganassi and Scott Dixon have both praised car sponsors Target after they announced their decision to withdraw from backing Ganassi’s Verizon IndyCar Series team at the end of this season.

The partnership between Chip Ganassi Racing and Target has been running for twenty-seven years and has brought multiple championships, with current driver Dixon amassing four titles, while Dario Franchitti (three times), Alex Zanardi (twice), Jimmy Vasser and Juan Pablo Montoya have all triumphed in Target colours.

“It’s the greatest sponsor in racing, ever,” said Ganassi. “They’ve been nothing but good to me. They developed me personally and professionally. I’ve developed lifelong friends and relationships.

“It is unfortunate they will be leaving the IndyCar Series but rest assured that the No. 9 Chevrolet and the reigning IndyCar Series Champion Scott Dixon will still be in the IndyCar Series next year and beyond, the car will just have different colors on it. We are working through some of those options now.”

The Ganassi/Target partnership is not ending completely however, with Kyle Larson’s entry in the NASCAR Sprint Cup continuing.

“We are happy Target will remain in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series with Kyle Larson and the No. 42,” said Ganassi. “I understand things change and people have different marketing efforts. It’s one of the longest running sponsors in racing and they delivered for me and the team, and the team delivered for them.”

Dixon is aiming for a fifth championship this season and has secured 38 wins driving in Target colours, but the New Zealander confirmed the departure would not affect his future with the team.

“I can’t thank Target enough for their partnership on and off the track over the years,” said Dixon.

“They have been with the IndyCar team for an amazing 27 years, which is unheard of in professional sports, and on the car I’ve driven for the past 15 seasons. I have nothing but great memories and much thanks for Target being great partners for so long.

“I’m looking forward to being in the #9 car for years to come and fighting for more wins and championships with Chip and the team.”
http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2016/ ... deal-2016/

Wow!!! The big main sponsor leaving the defending champion!!! If Indy Car needs a wake up call, this is it!!
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Solid race at Mid-Ohio yesterday. The championship is all but decided though.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Some nice racing yesterday, especially between Power and Pagenaud.