IndyCar 2015 - Season Finale

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I fell asleep and woke up on the last lap and all the other important bits, feel the same as you, plus the season ends way too early but I know I'm beating a dead horse to deaf people there.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ian-S wrote:I fell asleep and woke up on the last lap and all the other important bits, feel the same as you, plus the season ends way too early but I know I'm beating a dead horse to deaf people there.
I turned it on, fell asleep during the preamble, woke up during a yellow, fell asleep again before it went green and then woke up after the end during the post race crap. Saw who had won and went back to sleep. :roll:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
Ian-S wrote:I fell asleep and woke up on the last lap and all the other important bits, feel the same as you, plus the season ends way too early but I know I'm beating a dead horse to deaf people there.
I turned it on, fell asleep during the preamble, woke up during a yellow, fell asleep again before it went green and then woke up after the end during the post race crap. Saw who had won and went back to sleep. :roll:
same thing here. fell asleep after 15 laps. and woke up after the finish.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

You guys need a retirement home ffs.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

indy needs to retire.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

PTRACER wrote:You guys need a retirement home ffs.
At 6.00 am start time here, after a stunning Moto GP, and the Nurb 6hr, in a series that I had no interest in who wins (although my hope was for Newgarden) it failed to keep me awake when I saw yellows. Simples.

I understand from what I read in the reports, it was quite an exciting final few laps, thanks to more yellows..... if you were either a fan of Montoya or Dixon (which I am not). The actual championship outcome does show the crappiness of double points /'showbiz' finales, but it was the same for all I guess, and Montoya seems to have a good attitude over the outcome given he was the big loser.

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

sad for Monty. I hope he chooses (family) life and fun over the danger of the sport, and retires - or moves to Haas F1 :o
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Autosport.com wrote:WHAT DIFFERENCE DID DOUBLE POINTS MAKE?

Actual championship standings:

1 Dixon 556
2 Montoya 556
3 Power 493
4 Rahal 490
5 Castroneves 453
6 Hunter-Reay 436

Montoya's assertion that Dixon benefited from the Sonoma double score is correct, as the Colombian would have held on to his championship lead otherwise.

Standings without double score for Sonoma:

1 Montoya 528
2 Dixon 506
3 Rahal 478
4 Power 467
5 Castroneves 438
6 Newgarden 422

Montoya himself benefited from double points when he won the Indianapolis 500. Removing that advantage brings Dixon closer, but Montoya hangs on.

Standings with no double scores at all:

1 Montoya 478
2 Dixon 474
3 Rahal 448
4 Power 426
5 Castroneves 412
6 Newgarden 399
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

So Dixon is the champ on a tie breaker thanks to the double points thingie. Not to take anything away from him for that accomplishment but... Kinda tuff on JPM.

My take on the race was that it was a pretty interesting affair. Kaanan has balls the size of coconuts. The last laps were exciting as Monty tried to close in on Briscoe but couldn't quite manage it. It was apparent to me that he was doing his damnedest to catch up as you could see his hands on the steering wheel whipping this way and that.

The pre-race tributes to Justin Wilson were handled with taste, imo. It struck me that the last two fatals in Indycar have been Brits.
Miles to go B4 I sleep
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

Re the on-going discussion of canopies and such...

To contain such items as the nose, front wings, rear wings and prevent them from becoming missiles...

What about lanyards as currently used in F1 to keep the wheel/upright attached to the chassis? Cables affixed to the mounts of these items could be neatly stored in the structure supporting the mounts and would only come into play if the mount itself was torn from the car. Nose swap-outs could be done every bit as fast as they are now as the cables would not interfere with change. Rear wings would present the need for having a twin cable arrangement; one to secure the wing proper to the vertical stay(s)and a second to hold the stay(s)to the chassis. I would not think that any of these would present insurmountable engineering challenges.

In a knerf with the nose damaged and the current mount system damaged, you're pretty much done for the day anyhow so I don't see why a cable restraint system would detract from any service/repair.
Miles to go B4 I sleep
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

At 6.00 am start time here, after a stunning Moto GP, and the Nurb 6hr, in a series that I had no interest in who wins (although my hope was for Newgarden) it failed to keep me awake when I saw yellows. Simples.

I understand from what I read in the reports, it was quite an exciting final few laps, thanks to more yellows..... if you were either a fan of Montoya or Dixon (which I am not). The actual championship outcome does show the crappiness of double points /'showbiz' finales, but it was the same for all I guess, and Montoya seems to have a good attitude over the outcome given he was the big loser.
I know, I know, I was just joking as so many of you fall asleep during races these days :tongue:

Even with the race as it was, it was more exciting than your average Grand Prix. A little overtaking, a little banging wheels and spins. Certainly better than an F1 car would have managed on that track.

JPM showed how much of a farce he thought the double points was in the post-race interview. It's a gimmick that means nothing to the fans and gave Scott Dixon the title after being an outsider for basically the whole season.
Manfred Cubenoggin wrote:The last laps were exciting as Monty tried to close in on Briscoe but couldn't quite manage it. It was apparent to me that he was doing his damnedest to catch up as you could see his hands on the steering wheel whipping this way and that.
He was absolutely driving the wheels off of it! Whoever missed it - JPM had to pit for a new nose after bumping into teammate Will Power and dropped to the back of the field. 5 laps from the end he was in 8th, three places away from Championship victory. Then Bourdais hit the back of Rahal and spin him around. JPM had 2 places to make. A lap later Bourdais was given a drive-through which gifted JPM another place and then he set after Briscoe, but it wasn't enough. Championship over. Really unfair for Montoya (and Dixon).
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

But from what I read, Monty won his previous (CART) title with a similar tiebreak decider (having more wins that year than Franchitti) outcome so .....

I did watch those final few laps tonight on a cable TV replay and although the element of unknown outcome was no longer there and thus the excitement element of watching live was missing, Montoya certainly tried his damndest. Again I missed the very start of the programme and with it the JW tributes, which I would have liked to see, but maybe it will be on again later.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Indeed he did, 7 wins to Monty and 3 to Dario. It was also surrounded by tragedy with the death of Greg Moore. Some unusual circumstantial symmetry going on here.

Back then though each race carried the same number of points.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

At 6.00 am start time here, after a stunning Moto GP, and the Nurb 6hr......
What I need is a less comfy recliner chair in front of the TV. :tongue: I hit the recline button, pull the blanket over me (it is still winter here) and it seems to work like an anaesthetic to me, putting me to sleep with little trouble. :roll:

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

The sound of car racing is akin to white noise for me, sleep inducing. It has been like for 20+ years, so I can't blame old age.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Just a thought here.
Isn't it the Indy 500 that overhelms everything in Indycar racing? Isn't the 'championship' some sort of secondary title?