IndyCar 2015 - Season Finale

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

True Tobias. I had forgotten about Bourdais' incident at Cleveland, where he got a concussion.

I love LMP1's and so might be biased, but as said before, I would not see it as a bad thing if F1/Indycar/GP2, etc, would get LMP style canopies.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Simple yes/no question to all who have driven single seaters here...

Do you want canopies?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ian-S wrote:Simple yes/no question to all who have driven single seaters here...

Do you want canopies?
Ideally not.... but I would be a little worried about fogging in the rain, limitations to peripheral vision etc. Hell it was bad enough with a visor. But as an alternative to the consequences of leaving them open and with the benefits of modern technology and materials they should ideally be investigated. Whoops, I appear to have not given a simple yes or no answer. :roll: :dunno:

Just a thought.... along the same line of preferences, how many did not like the feeling of a HANS device when they were first introduced, yet now feel naked in a race car without one? :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I seem to remember that guys like Rubens couldn't wear the HANS without blistering or just getting discomfort. It sure took a lot of work to get the guys to wear it, but hey - it's doing it's job!
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

DoubleFart wrote:I seem to remember that guys like Rubens couldn't wear the HANS without blistering or just getting discomfort. It sure took a lot of work to get the guys to wear it, but hey - it's doing it's job!
My point exactly..... it took the authorities to the extent of mandating them before everyone wore them in international level motorport, and now they are almost as universally used as a multi layer fireproof suit by all levels of motorsport, even at lower levels where they are not mandated because of the benefits outweighing the negatives.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

The original HANS device needed time for testing and development in F1. Nick Heidfeld was the first driver to use one in competition and complained about lack of comfort, etc... from that testing the device was altered to fit the demands of being in an F1 car.

If anything is to happen in single seater racing to better protect driver extremities then there needs to be R&D, not knee-jerk emotion driven reactions from fans like we've been reading since Tuesday. Fully enclosed canopies are NOT the answer. Whereas a program of R&D which includes feasibility studies into various solutions is.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Why not just something rollbar style in driving direction , like two tubes over the cockpit ?
Ultimately, if the debris weighs enough and gets sped up enough it will hit through a closed cockpit too.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Andy wrote:Why not just something rollbar style in driving direction , like two tubes over the cockpit ?
Ultimately, if the debris weighs enough and gets sped up enough it will hit through a closed cockpit too.
I was thinking about this solution too.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

There was a formula ford built like that in the 80s, don't think it ever got 'crash tested' tbh.

I was pre-HANS but wouldn't have hesitated ( I had a memory foam type collar that I used at the time).
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I would go for hans every time, I've had enough neck discomfort in small bumps.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote:Simple yes/no question to all who have driven single seaters here...

Do you want canopies?
No.

But then if someone asked about my FF2000 "Do you want a carbon fibre monocoque instead of this metal frame?", I'd say no to that as well.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

Canopies? No. If only for the simple reason of how would a driver, closely chasing another car, deal with the lead car blowing its engine sky-high and throwing back buckets of oil. Been there...done that... HORRIFYING!!! If canopies come to be, you'll need a wiper mechanism or tear-off feature. Is either practical in formula car?

As for forward extensions of the main rollover bar, there was an FF...Crossle, I think...fitted with this feature competing here in Ontario back in the late 70's. It was quite similar to the structures seen on dirt sprinters and supermodifieds. I believe that the extra structure was referred to as 'decap bars'. The story goes that the car was entered in a novice race with closed-wheeled cars at Shannonville and there was a collision with a Datsun 240Z. The Z-car ended up on top of the formula car and if weren't for these extra bars, it was widely regarded as being a fatal. Additionally, there was a fella I competed against from Florida, Tom Gee, competing in a Lola 340 fitted with a cage structure. He sent me a pix of it some years back but I'll be dammed if I can find it on my HD. :(
Miles to go B4 I sleep
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Manfred Cubenoggin wrote: Additionally, there was a fella I competed against from Florida, Tom Gee, competing in a Lola 340 fitted with a cage structure. He sent me a pix of it some years back but I'll be dammed if I can find it on my HD. :(
Manfred, I had a quick look on the Lola registry to see if I could dig anything out.... the nearest I could get was a Chuck Gee, USA, listed with a T342 in 1975, running in FF1600. Sadly no pics.
http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/history/register/t342.htm

Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

Thanks for looking, Biggy. Nifty web site showing all the Lolas. Had no idea that it was that extensive!

I'm pretty sure that Tom Gee is a member over on TNF but a brief search just now turned up nothing. Of course, he may use a pseudonym as I do.

I'll scan my HD more thoroughly today searching for the pix.
Miles to go B4 I sleep
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Manfred Cubenoggin wrote:Thanks for looking, Biggy. Nifty web site showing all the Lolas. Had no idea that it was that extensive!

I'm pretty sure that Tom Gee is a member over on TNF but a brief search just now turned up nothing. Of course, he may use a pseudonym as I do.
No worries. Glad I was able to highlight something of potential use to you as a minor scrap of a payback for the mine of information you have provided myself and the rest of us with over the years. :wink: :thumbsup:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The Sonoma season finale is this weekend, race starts at 10pm UK time. JW's death has really removed all the potential excitement of the battle between JPM and Rahal and really I'm only watching the race to see JPM seal the title.

It's double points and Dixon, Power, Castroneves and even Newgarden are mathematically capable of winning. We're talking Rahal finishing 1st and JPM in 4th or lower for Rahal to win, down to Newgarden getting maximum points for everything and all the other drivers getting nothing.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records