Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I've made a point of watching some of the races, I'm starting to grow a liking to it. I'm still not big on oval racing, but I was watching the cars at Fontana and holding my breath. I appreciate how hard it is to drive at those speeds, for so long, and that's just from racing games, where I'm being subjected to temperatures of up to 25 degrees and 1G throughout.

Barrichello joining the series has helped as well, I've been following his progress.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

We can only hope that Indycar can maintain this positive swing they seem to be having through the long off-season and into next year. An exciting finale with an american champion shouldn't hurt that at all, and this year they can start building up for next year on a positive note.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I have watched more of it this year, particularly road course stuff, but it just lacks something to me.... ovals I can appreciate the skills etc but the racing itself I find monotonous.

My increased interest has been largely down to Sato's involvement. :thumbsup:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Well deserved championship for Ryan. Other than winning the most number of races, what's impressive is that the wins came on both ovals and road courses. Power is a great guy and I feel bad for him but not too bad because he continues to be lost on ovals and until he gets better at that, who knows if he can win the championship. Next year, there might even be an additional oval on the calendar, at Pocono, which will put him at an even bigger disadvantage to guys like Ryan and Dario.
Last edited by SBan83 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

the thing I like about indycar is that it challenges you on three different types of courses: the normal tracks, the street tracks and the ovals. Instead of being perfect in one or two of those disciplines, it pays off to be very good on all types of tracks. So that's certainly a thing I like about it. Can't imagine IRL once used to race only ovals.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Great race. Great season. Great series.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

So how much does Penske/Will Power hate the Briscoe 1st, Power 2nd at Infineon then?
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Or that Briscoe caused a caution just before RHR got lapped?

I think he's done at Penske now.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Or that Briscoe muffed up the late restart at Baltimore...

Yeah, I think Briscoe is on his way out now.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... g-9211/P2/
Q: How about Roger buying Will a car to celebrate his third-straight bridesmaid finish? I'm thinking a nice sprint car, directions to several dirt tracks, and maybe a ticket to the Chili Bowl.

Robert, Pasadena, CA
I second this.

Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Can't really argue about that, although I think Will is better on ovals than he is generally given credit for, the competitive field and his poor luck recently especially in championship showdowns just don't exactly flatter him...
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Agree / disagree???
The top 10 IndyCar drivers of 2012

It was an incredibly tight season in IndyCars, with Dallara's DW12 providing a new challenge. AUTOSPORT's reporter Mark Glendenning picks out his top 10 performers

By Mark Glendenning
AUTOSPORT US editor

The top 10 IndyCar drivers of 2012

1. Will Power (AUS)
Championship position: 2nd (465 points)
Team: Team Penske
Starts: 15
Wins: 3
Poles: 5
Fastest laps: 3

The driver to beat on just about any given weekend had his mojo abandon him right when he needed it most. Or, to quote an email from a former colleague in Australia: "I can't believe he's done it again".

Power was the class of the field in 2012, although his season wasn't perfect, as evidenced by the strategy miscue at Baltimore, or his constant struggle to second-guess whether race control might leave the pits open during a caution. Still, everything else he did, he usually did better than the majority of the field – one corner at Fontana notwithstanding.

2. Scott Dixon (NZ)
Championship position: 3rd (435)
Team: Chip Ganassi Racing
Wins: 2
Poles: 1
Fastest laps: 0

Often seemed that if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all, but as quick as anyone when everything was working as it should.

If you had to pick a fault (not counting the assorted mishaps that were beyond his control) you might point to his occasionally being a bit quiet in qualifying, but it was often scary to see what he could do in the races. If you had to sum up his year in one race, it would be Sonoma – fastest guy on the track, but forced by a string of unlikely events to make six pitstops.

3. Ryan Hunter-Reay (USA)
Championship position: 1st (468)
Team: Andretti Autosport
Wins: 4
Fastest laps: 2

Not as consistent as he'd liked to have been, but his knack for stepping up on crunch weekends paid off in a big way.

The American's Milwaukee/Iowa/Toronto hat-trick vaulted him into contention after a tough start to the season, and a steadfast refusal to give up when things went awry – the mechanical problem at Mid-Ohio and being taken out by Alex Tagliani at Sonoma – meant that he was still in a position to capitalise when Power got it wrong at Fontana.

4. Dario Franchitti (GB)
Championship position: 7th (363)
Team: Chip Ganassi Racing
Wins: 1
Poles 3
Fastest laps: 1

One of the big pre-season questions was, which of the big guns was going to struggle to get their heads around the DW12?

The answer, as it turned out, was the reigning champion. It didn't take Franchitti and his crew more than a couple of races to figure it out, but by then they were already on the back foot. By the Scot's sky-high standards, a single win from a season would ordinarily be considered a poor return for the effort, but when that win comes at the Indy 500, it's another story. It's also worth noting that even when the championship was gone, Franchitti's effort never dipped below 100 per cent.

5. Simon Pagenaud (F)
Championship position: 5th (86.5)
Team: Schmidt Hamilton Racing
Wins: 0
Poles: 0

The Frenchman gave a few of the big guns something to think about with his performances in the single-car Schmidt Hamilton entry.

Technically a rookie, he came into the series pretty well-credentialled, with a season of Champ Car and a strong sportscar career under his belt, but he stepped up his game again in 2012. Despite never having seen an oval he adapted quickly and, in races such as Texas and Milwaukee, it was mishaps in the pitlane rather than on the track that proved to be his undoing. One of the subplots of the 2013 season will be where he can take things from here.

6. Helio Castroneves (BR)
Championship position: 4th (431)
Team: Team Penske
Wins: 2

It's as if 2011 never happened. As long as there are better-rounded guys like Power, Dixon, Franchitti, Hunter-Reay and now Pagenaud in the field it seems difficult to imagine Castroneves winning a title, but the Brazilian's performances this year were far more representative of what he is capable of than they were 12 months previously. There were still errors, but this time around, they were the exception rather than the norm.

7. Tony Kanaan (BR)
Championship position: 9th (351)
Team: KV Racing Technology

TK remained as strong a force as ever in the races – the problem was that he usually qualified too low for it to matter. Ovals were his strong suit, and he could have had a great result at Texas had he not been on the receiving end of a chop from Power, but he proved that his speed hasn't dulled with podiums at Milwaukee and Iowa.

8. Sebastien Bourdais (F)
Championship position: 25th (173)
Starts: 11
Team: Dragon Racing

Potentially a controversial choice, considering that he didn't contest the entire season. But as the saying goes, it's not what you've got, it's how you use it. What Bourdais had at any given moment was not that impressive: a Lotus engine for the first few races, a partial season for the rest – but he still managed to regularly spook his better-resourced rivals.

9. Justin Wilson (GB)
Championship position: 16th (278)
Team: Dale Coyne Racing
Wins: 1
Fastest laps: 1

Long respected for his ability on road courses, but 2012 reminded the world that the Brit is decent at turning left, too. His win at Texas will always be accompanied by an asterisk over the legality or otherwise of his car's aero package. (And, in turn, the extent to which the part in question actually made a difference). But he also qualified well at Milwaukee before having to take an engine penalty, and could have been a contender at Indy had it not been for an overly polite restart.

10. James Hinchcliffe (CDN)
Championship position: 8th (358)
Team: Andretti Autosport

Hinchcliffe saw off some stiff opposition for the final spot, and Ryan Briscoe, Alex Tagliani and Oriol Servia are just three who might feel aggrieved. What got the Canadian over the line was his consistently strong performance over the first half of the season – there were weekends when it was he, rather than Hunter-Reay, who looked like Andretti's best chance at a title. The charge fell away as the year went on, but he has plenty to build upon for 2013.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Well, off the top of my head...
- Power should be behind Hunter-Reay. Very good on twisty stuff but still struggles on ovals.
- Dixon should be behind Hunter-Reay and Power. Pretty good year for him but why he is between the two title contenders is beyond me...
- Hunter-Reay up to first. He did a damn good job overall this year, despite probably having inferior machinery to what Penske guys had.
- Franchitti should be lower, he had a very mediocre year apart from the win at Indy... Let's say seventh.
- Pagenaud up to fourth. An excellent job from him and the team to consistently mix with the top teams.
- Bourdais... Let's put him up to fifth. Once the team got rid of the Lotus branded ballast he was right up there.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Franchitti 4th? No way, he sucked this year. Switch him with Helio. And then move Seabass and Hinch ahead of him too. Then I'm happy.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Hinch and Helio should definitely be further up, Franchitti isn't deserving of top 10 and Dixon should probably be 6-7th. I'd also say Hunter-Reay should be #1 with Power #2.