[IndyCar] 2011 Season - RIP Dan Wheldon

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Dan Wheldon's Memorial Service will be held on Sunday October 23rd at 4pm at Conseco Fieldhouse, Indianapolis.

In addition (and I guess this will be mainly the UK viewers) Dan Wheldon's life will be celebrated in a special Sky Sports documentary to be screened this week.

Dan Wheldon, A Tribute will be shown on Sky Sports 2 and Sky Sports HD2 on Thursday, October 20 at 10pm.

The hour-long documentary will focus on Wheldon's rise through the motorsport ranks from junior motorsport in the mid-1990s, through to his emergence as one of IndyCar's top drivers, his title win in 2005 and his pair of Indianapolis 500 victories.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I'm in Tampa (Florida) currently, here on a three day business trip. When I arrived yesterday and checked into my hotel Dan Wheldon was the main topic on the news. The broadcasters were interviewing many locals from in and around St Petersburg. Since Sunday it hadn't crossed my mind that Tampa is just a stones throw from St Pete, which is where Dan and his family lived. He's all over the news and front page on the papers here. The local community has been taken in by this tragedy and are laying flowers, tributes outside his house.

I'm still in shock about what's happened.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

and we thought the BBC and Sky were going overboard with their coverage.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Granted when I arrived yesterday it was only 24 hours after.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

and you were in Las Vegas only recently as well.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Relevant people have their say on Indycar safety; namely Mario Andretti and A.J Foyt.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/in ... 50819204/1

To say that Indycar is 20 years behind F1 on safety, that is very stupid. I have yet to see a single corner in F1 to have a SAFER barrier for example.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

the nature is just very different and there is absolutely no doubt that a big crash is more likely to happen given the oval style.

When Ralf crashed at indy in 2004 it was even suggested that F1 had a lot to learn from Indycar safety (in particular the rear-end structure).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Cheeveer wrote:Relevant people have their say on Indycar safety; namely Mario Andretti and A.J Foyt.
I have yet to see a single corner in F1 to have a SAFER barrier for example.
F1 used Safer Barriers a decade ago..... when they raced at the Indy GP. :haha: :wink:

Also the curve onto the straight at Interlagos is a 'Safer' Barrier.

The issue in reality with F1 is the only place they ever see a wall close up is at Monaco, Valencia and Singapore.... everywhere else is protected by a small suburbs space of run-off. With the spectators the next suburb from there. :sarcasm:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
Cheeveer wrote:Relevant people have their say on Indycar safety; namely Mario Andretti and A.J Foyt.
I have yet to see a single corner in F1 to have a SAFER barrier for example.
F1 used Safer Barriers a decade ago..... when they raced at the Indy GP. :haha: :wink:

Also the curve onto the straight at Interlagos is a 'Safer' Barrier.

The issue in reality with F1 is the only place they ever see a wall close up is at Monaco, Valencia and Singapore.... everywhere else is protected by a small suburbs space of run-off. With the spectators the next suburb from there. :sarcasm:
I think Ralf slammed into the safer barrier at 2005 in practice, but in 2004 he hit the solid concrete I do believe.
Your last point is a good one. On the outside of an oval it is impossible to 'just' add run off. The rules of banking prevents something better than catchfancing IMO. Or... they should remove the catchfencing, remove stands in the bends and construct HUGE safer barriers. Like a sports stadion basically
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Ralf missed the SAFER barrier both times.

There are options to remove the fence and put in runoff on ovals but they're either impractical or unworkable on most of the cookie cutters. Vegas is, ironically, one of the tracks where a solution could be slotted in, but I doubt the tracks would entertain such an idea. Raising the walls by a meter or two is the simplest solution.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Ian-S wrote:Ralf missed the SAFER barrier both times.

There are options to remove the fence and put in runoff on ovals but they're either impractical or unworkable on most of the cookie cutters. Vegas is, ironically, one of the tracks where a solution could be slotted in, but I doubt the tracks would entertain such an idea. Raising the walls by a meter or two is the simplest solution.
Which doable since there are already no grandstands there.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

the thing about Wheldon's crash is that so much happened around him that it is difficult to make out what exactly happened. In that sense Moore's crash was much more distressing as the tv suddenly switched over and had only one car to focus on.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Jimmy Spencer wrote:I can’t close without expressing my disgust with the “ambulance chasers” who have come out this week. I’ve heard from so many different media outlets wanting to interview me about Dan’s death, but the problem I have with these requests is they’re coming from media outlets who do not cover racing the rest of the year. Where were these guys when IndyCar arrived in Las Vegas for their championship weekend? Where were they when something positive happened in the series during the course of the season? The practice of covering racing only when someone dies makes me sick. It shows disrespect for our sport, our fans, and most importantly, the ones we lost.
Think that pretty much sums up the sentiments of most fans about the coverage.

Full article here:
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/spenc ... scar-cope/
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Been watching the CART race at Gateway from 1997 today. That is some beautiful oval Indycar racing there. Slingshots, outbraking, side-by-side, just wonderful. That is one track that should return but I think that is very, very unlikely unfortunately.

Rose tinted glasses are okay sometimes...

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Nazareth was a classic too
DoubleFault
Legendary Member