[IndyCar] 2011 Season - RIP Dan Wheldon

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
sennadesillva
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by sennadesillva »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ian-S wrote:Those are just from rubber, oil, dirt etc. in the first 11 laps, if he'd been hit on the head by anything remotely resembling a wheel then there would have been more than one funeral. It amazes me people buy into this bullshit, especially from the guy who labelled the Dallara The Crap Wagon, I mean I like the guy cos he often tells it as it is, but more often than not he talks out his arse. You only have to cast your mind back a few years to see what happens when you get hit on the head by a wheel.

"Tire mark right over the windshield from Vegas" Paul Tracy

that looks like a little more than just bits of oil rubber and dirt. thats a full tire mark lol
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Im trying to work out the relevance of a tyre mark on a wind screen and how it confirms a hit from a tyre on Tracy's helmet..
To me that more says 'Fark, lucky it did not hit him on the head.' It shows that even a glancing blow is a hell of a hit, and one that leaves a lot more of a scar on the car than was on the helmet, and a direct hit would have led to a double fatality, even to one with a skull like Tracy.

I am not convinced. :dunno: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

It all depends on the angle of the car as it went over Tracy and the which part of the surface of the tyre hit the car plus helmet. If it was a tyre mark on Tracy's helmet then it is nothing more than a very minor glance from an outer edge of the tyre. Whereas the marks on the windshield look like it's been mounted and ridden by another car.

Assuming Tracy's helmet was hit doesn't automatically mean it would have lead to another fatality. Again it is dependant on circumstance. Martin Brundle and Tom Coronel are living examples that prove you can survive being hit hard on the head by a wheel and tyre.
sennadesillva
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by sennadesillva »

lets not forget salazar when zampedri flew over his head the last lap of of the 96 indy 500 too. im not trying to argue or prove a point i just posted the helmet pic and what i thought of it. wasnt trying to state a fact or say tracy has superhuman powers and can take a 225mph hit to the head from a wheel
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

It was whoever was in the white car that climbed over PT who likely put the mark on the car (Pippa Mann?).

Put me in with Everso, tyre marks on a car doesn't mean he got hit on the head by the wheel in the way that it's being implied, the difference in the size of the tyre marks on the car and helmet go as far to disprove he was hit on the head by a wheel more than anything else.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Congratulations to Alex Zanardi who won the handcycle class in yesterday's New York Marathon :thumbsup:
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

More heartbreaking news: Newmaan/Haas Racing is gone.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

That's bullshit. :sorrow:
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

must admit I did wonder how long they'd survive after Paul Newman died.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
DaleJuniorFan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Indycar

Post by DaleJuniorFan »

Not surprisingly, Indycar has confirmed that Las Vegas is off the 2012 schedule.

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story ... ldon-death
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

So Wheldon's death was caused by his head hitting one of the posts that held the catchfencing. Apparently the posts were on the inside, and the catchfencing behind on the crowds side. That seems a strange design, although according to the report it said that had the catchfencing been trackside it wouldn't have made any difference.

Were there any other comments of note made in the report?
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

aside from saying the number of cars in the race would have made no difference, not much.
He had two set's of BFT to the head, the second one killed him.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

It's been 10 years already....Most of us here were watching it unfold live. Still not forgotten and still totally fresh in my memory.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago It's been 10 years already....Most of us here were watching it unfold live. Still not forgotten and still totally fresh in my memory.
I posted a tribute and article to Dan in "On this Day" here: viewtopic.php?p=414775#p414775

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always