Indycar 2011 *5 million dollars up for grabs*

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Indycar 2011 *5 million dollars up for grabs*

Post by Cheeveer »

Indycar is giving away 5 million dollars to any driver that isn't regular that wins the season finale.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89621
IndyCar has confirmed that Las Vegas Motor Speedway will host its season finale - and announced a $5 million bonus for any driver from outside the IndyCar Series who can come in and win the race.

In another innovation, fans buying a ticket for any other IndyCar Series race this year can get a free ticket for the Las Vegas finale.

It had been expected all winter that Las Vegas would be the venue for IndyCar's final 2011 round on Sunday 16 October, marking the championship's return to the track, which it last visited in 2000. Champ Car used the oval in 2004/05.

Series boss Randy Bernard is aiming for five 'outsiders' to join the field for Vegas, in a move clearly aimed at enticing NASCAR drivers, whose Sprint Cup event that weekend takes place at Charlotte on the Saturday night.

"We showcase our drivers as being the very best, fastest and most versatile in the world, and we are putting our money where our mouth is," Bernard said.

"If any racecar driver in the world outside of the IZOD IndyCar Series can win the Vegas race, we will give you $5 million.

"We will accept five entries for this challenge, with entrants being determined by mid-summer."
Interesting way to promote this race! This Randy Bernard guy can really become the savior of Indycar racing. I like it. :thumbsup:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

I would love it if a Formula 1 driver entered.... maybe Jaques Villeneuve will make an appearance? :haha:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Fingers crossed it will attract drivers from the junior series as well as some old school names. We could even see some stock car drivers having a go...
kart99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kart99 »

What a great idea. Wonder who it will bring in?
kart99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kart99 »

Looks like we wont see Kannan this year:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89628
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

:sorrow:

Its a damn shame but it shows the problems with finding funding, when two former champions and big names cannot find sponsorship it means the series is not marketable enough and / or sponsorship still isn't seen as a valuable investment for companies trying to recover from the credit crisis.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

I think this idea is absolutely brilliant! (but is a bit of a slap in the face of the regular IRL drivers :tongue: )
James B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by James B »

kart99 wrote:Looks like we wont see Kannan this year:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89628
If so, he'll go for the $5 million :haha:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFault wrote:I would love it if a Formula 1 driver entered.... maybe Jaques Villeneuve will make an appearance? :haha:
JV might get the gig for singing the anthem. They are usually pretty awful! :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Speedworx
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Tony Stewart
Favourite Circuit: Talladega Superspeedway
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by Speedworx »

Whats the point. This isn't NASCAR. Miracles don't happen in Indycars. A regular will win the Vegas finale.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Jr is trying to fix up a ride for it.
Al Unser Jr, not Dale :haha:
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

Kasey Kahne or Kyle Busch in an IndyCar would be awesome to see.
Bring back the sheep.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

Jacques Villeneuve. 1995 Indianapolis 500 winner and CART IndyCar champion, who went on to win the 1997 F1 World Championship, is reportedly considering a comeback to open-wheel racing to chase the $5m bonus on offer from the IZOD IndyCar Series to an "outsider" who can win the season finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

AUTOSPORT reports that Villeneuve is in discussions with IndyCar regarding one of the five "wild card" spots that will be available for the Oct. 16 race. Villeneuve had not raced in North American open-wheel racing since quitting CART for F1 with Williams in 1996 and, barring a brief flirtation with Lotus last year, has generally dismissed prospects for returning, preferring instead to focus on NASCAR racing. He has made 15 starts across all three tiers of NASCAR's national series over the past four years.

IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard has declined to spell out the exact criteria for eligibility for the wild-card places in the Vegas race, which will be decided by a committee this summer out of all applications from interested parties. Bernard would not divulge who is in the running, but said he has been pleased with he initial reaction to his idea.

"It's been fun to see," said Bernard. "I've had inquiries from some pretty big drivers, which is pretty exciting. The five guys that we choose will be five guys that help our sport. I'm trying to build the credibility of our sport – just as hard as it was for Juan Pablo Montoya and Sam Hornish to go to NASCAR, it's the same for the other drivers to come to our sport. If another driver comes over here and beats us, it means there are some great drivers out there."

Bernard played down the suggestion, made by Montoya and Tony Stewart, among others, that it would be too difficult for NASCAR drivers to combine the Las Vegas race with the Sprint Cup race at Charlotte on the Saturday night of the same weekend.

"It's very do-able," he insisted. "If the race ends at Charlotte at 11 p.m. and you are on a plane from there at midnight, you will land at 1 a.m. in Vegas. That gives you 10 hours."

Bernard added that suggestions the guest stars would lack sufficient seat time to be competitive are also wide of the mark: "We will provide practice time for these guys in the late summer, so I think it can be done."

Bernard said he is confident that IndyCar teams will be prepared to run extra cars for the event, and said he has had a call from Chip Ganassi backing his idea.

"That means a lot, because Chip never calls and offers a compliment," he said.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Apparantly Petter Solberg is interested in competition.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Hmmm...Petter Solberg trying to win an Indycar race, or Jacques Villeneuve. I know what I'd rather watch!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records