Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Hmmm...Petter Solberg trying to win an Indycar race, or Jacques Villeneuve. I know what I'd rather watch!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Petter is the type of guy who might well get into something like this. The WRC season finishes a week before the race so the calendars would also allow him to make it... There's also a long summer break and plenty of three week gaps in the WRC calendar so he could conceivably fit some testing into his schedule as well.
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

Would Villeneuve even be competitive if he made a comeback?
Bring back the sheep.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

i say yes.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
James B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by James B »

All this talk of Person X/Y/Z jumping in an IndyCar for the first time and racing at one of the fastest circuits on the calendar...bit worrying, is it not? Ken Block can't even drive a rally car that quickly, let alone a 200 mph single seater

It's a fantastic idea. In principle. But they have to vet these guys properly. They can't just go for any old big name - it has to be someone with experience. Jacques is ideal. Solberg's tested a Le Mans Prototype once and did a few donuts in an F1 Ferrari, but that's about it
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

They obviously need to give all drivers from non-oval backgrounds a chance to test the cars properly and at the same time do a proper evaluation before selecting the five drivers. It would be really embarrassing for Indycar if they selected big name drivers and then would have to black flag them from the track due to unsafe speeds.
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

erwin greven wrote:i say yes.
I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, he hasn't been in an IndyCar in a few years.
Bring back the sheep.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

As far as I was aware, the chosen 5 will be given some form of testing to acclimatise themselves before the event. The non-Indycar racers will be given a rookie-orientation type of testing.

JV would be competitive, if he was in a Penske or Ganassi engineered car. But then again so would most other drivers... Who will run the chosen 5?

Personally speaking I would love to see 5 drivers from diverse series, not just ex-Champions. A driver representing NASCAR, WRC, F1, Grand-Am, ALMS, or such like would be ideal.
JR90
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by JR90 »

It's going to be interesting to see who takes the challenge. It would be great to have drivers from other series competing in the last event.
Bring back the sheep.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Alex Zanardi has expressed his interest in competing in this Vegas race. :mrgreen:
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Kimi Räikkönen has also said he's interested, provided that he could get competitive machinery.

As a side note, I seem to have mixed my calendars up earlier. The Las Vegas race actually slots into a three week in the WRC calendar, two weeks after France and one week prior to Spain. Still, it would be pretty easy for both Kimi and Petter to fit the event into their schedules.

edit:That was from an article on MTV3 website, now that I've seen the actual interview I'd say Kimi is probably not as enthusastic about it as the article would imply. Still, one can always hope...
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Kimi, Alex, Petter, now that is a proper guest line up!